Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you for or against a higher federal minimum wage?

Posted by   + Show Post

Raising the Federal Minimum Wage Is a Bad, Bad Idea

by Jenny Erikson

In last night’s State of the Union address, President Obama proposed raising the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. He even made some quippy comment about it being easy to remember because it’s 10-10. I’m hyucking at you, speechwriters.

Anyway, that’s a terrible, horrible, rotten, no good, very bad idea. The current federal minimum wage is $7.25; so raising it to $10.10 is quite the substantial increase. I know, $7.25 isn’t really a living wage, yada yada, it’s not fair that people have to make that little amount of money, and so on and so forth.

But you know what’s worse than making $7.25 an hour? Making nothing. What exactly do you think will happen when employers can’t afford to keep around their low-level workers? They’ll let them go, that’s what.

More from The Stir: Our Country’s Big Spending Problem Is Real, No Matter What Democrats Say

My parents are small business owners. I remember one time getting a lesson in real life from my dad, because I had heard in the news that the minimum wage was going up, and being a child and therefore naĂŻve, I thought it was swell. My father, being much older and wiser, told me that because of that mandated raise, he had to let someone go.

He’d had an entry-level employee that he paid minimum wage to keep the factory floor tidied up. He swept and cleaned spills, ran errands, you know, just basic go-fer stuff. It was worth it for the cost of his wages. The guy was happy he had a job, coworkers were happy for the help, everybody was happy with the situation.

Small businesses generally run on a very tight budget. So when the government stepped in and decided that my dad wasn’t paying that guy enough, he didn’t have the financial wiggle room to pay him more. The employee said he didn’t care, he’d keep working for the lower wage, but being an upstanding citizen, my dad wouldn’t employ him illegally.

This happens a lot. And then these entry-level workers can’t find work, because the jobs aren’t there. So they go on welfare. Now business owners have even less money to hire new employees, because in addition to paying the people that do work for them, they’re now paying higher taxes to pay the people that don’t work for them.

Work is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Most everybody starts at the bottom. If you don’t want to make $7.25 for the rest of your life, then figure out how to get promoted. Take classes, acquire new skills, do the best darn job you can at what you do and ask for more responsibility.

That’s how you climb out of poverty. Not by raising the federal minimum wage.

Are you for or against a higher federal minimum wage?

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I say keep minimum wage as is, but force employers to follow some type of point system with a six month review of each employee. If they get the points needed then they get a mandatory wage hike of a certian percentage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I am dead set against it.  No good will come of it.  Take a look at Missouri.  Minimum wage there is 7.35.  A bump of almost 3 dollars an hour will have a catastrophic affect on the cost of living.  Everything will cost much more than it currently does, and many places will go out of business.  It won't have as much affect in Washington, where our minimum wage is already 9.32, so this would only be a 78 cents increase, but it will still have affect here.  Missouri's cost of living is miniscule compared to here.  My parents own a house that they have a $600 mortgage on.  An equal or even smaller house on equal or smaller property here in Washington would easily be twice as much.  Food is cheaper there than here.  Everything is cheaper there than here.  And there are a LOT of low income areas there that would suffer immeasurably by dramatically increasing the minimum wage.

The only people who are FOR a dramatic increase in minimum wage are people who are COMPLETELY and UTTERLY ignorant of economics. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM

It is 7.50,  but it would increase prices since most places already pay slightly above it.

Quoting kailu1835:

I am dead set against it.  No good will come of it.  Take a look at Missouri.  Minimum wage there is 7.35.  A bump of almost 3 dollars an hour will have a catastrophic affect on the cost of living.  Everything will cost much more than it currently does, and many places will go out of business.  It won't have as much affect in Washington, where our minimum wage is already 9.32, so this would only be a 78 cents increase, but it will still have affect here.  Missouri's cost of living is miniscule compared to here.  My parents own a house that they have a $600 mortgage on.  An equal or even smaller house on equal or smaller property here in Washington would easily be twice as much.  Food is cheaper there than here.  Everything is cheaper there than here.  And there are a LOT of low income areas there that would suffer immeasurably by dramatically increasing the minimum wage.

The only people who are FOR a dramatic increase in minimum wage are people who are COMPLETELY and UTTERLY ignorant of economics. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

What do you mean protection for the staus quo? I have a small business and higher high school kids to help, in now way do they have the experiance or the skills to be paid 10.10 per hour, so I will have to let them go.

Quoting Raintree:

And then other's will seize on the opportunity. And many will be totally fine.

What you're really calling for is this: protection for the status quo.

More people with more money- more business overall.

Quoting pamelax3:

You realize when they lose business they will end up closing their doors, that will put people out of work

Quoting Raintree:

For. If employers can't figure it out, I guess they'll lose business in the long run- because people without work are people who won't buy things. 

god.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM

That is a good idea

Quoting fatcat0908: I say keep minimum wage as is, but force employers to follow some type of point system with a six month review of each employee. If they get the points needed then they get a mandatory wage hike of a certian percentage.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm against it. I don't think someone working at hobby lobby should make almost as much as me. I might not have a 4 year degree but i did go to school and I have a valuable job. If everyone across the board gets a raise then the cost of living goes up and we are right bac where we started.
theresaphilly
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Against, the people who are for the raise, don't understand that when the minimum wage goes up  so doe the cost of living (food prices will go up, small businesses will suffer and all other goods will go up). To pay people more money, everything has to go up to support the raises. 

So I say, go ahead raise the minimum wage and think you and your family are benefiting and watch food prices go up, and small businesses can't afford the raise began to lay people ass off or cut back on hours. Then their will be another reason to bitch and complain. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

They won't just lose business, they will lose their company because they can't afford to hire anyone. The unemployment rate will immediately skyrocket.

Quoting Raintree:

For. If employers can't figure it out, I guess they'll lose business in the long run- because people without work are people who won't buy things. 

god.

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM
This is why I don't support small businesses. I'd love to, but when it costs 3X as much to get a product from my locally owned grocery store (where I know they buy their product from Walmart) then I'm not going to shop there.

Quoting pamelax3:

What do you mean protection for the staus quo? I have a small business and higher high school kids to help, in now way do they have the experiance or the skills to be paid 10.10 per hour, so I will have to let them go.

Quoting Raintree:

And then other's will seize on the opportunity. And many will be totally fine.

What you're really calling for is this: protection for the status quo.

More people with more money- more business overall.

Quoting pamelax3:

You realize when they lose business they will end up closing their doors, that will put people out of work

Quoting Raintree:

god.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Against. I believe it should remain the same and each state would determine the best rate based on varying socio-economics per state.

For example, with all things being equal on every single level save for federal minimum wage Family A in LA and Family B in NYC, NY face two very different economies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN