Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Charges coming in ancient rock-toppling stunt, Utah prosecutor says

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM
  • 32 Replies

Charges coming in ancient rock-toppling stunt, Utah prosecutor says

Dave Hall via AP file

This frame grab from a video taken by Dave Hall shows two men cheering after a Boy Scouts leader knocked over an ancient Utah desert rock formation at Goblin Valley State Park. Authorities are mulling whether to press charges against the scout leader and against the two men who cheered him on after they posted video of the incident online.

By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News

A Utah prosecutor is set to file charges in the case of two Boy Scout leaders who toppled an ancient boulder from a Jurassic-era rock formation during a field trip to a state park last year - and recorded it.

Emery County Attorney David Blackwell said Thursday he expects to file the charges Friday or Monday but provided no other details. He received a report from the lead investigator on the case in December.

In Utah's Goblin Valley State Park, three men toppled a giant rock formation that's 170 million years old in just 14 seconds. NBC's Miguel Almaguer reports.

The two men, Glenn Taylor and Dave Hall, have already been removed as scout leaders for October's stunt. They have apologized and said they didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

"We did something right the wrong way," Taylor said at the time.

"We made a mistake and we need to own up to that," Hall said then.

A lawyer for Taylor had no immediate comment on the prospect of charges. A woman at Hall's home said he had no comment.

The pair got in hot water after they videotaped themselves singing, cheering and high-fiving about knocking the boulder, which was estimated to be about 170 million years old, off its perch.

"We have now modified Goblin Valley," Hall said in the footage.

Taylor and Hall, who were at Goblin Valley with eight Boy Scouts, later explained they believed the massive rock was a danger, since it could fall over on its own and crush a passerby. In the footage they congratulated each other on doing a good deed.

In retrospect, they admitted, they should have just alerted a park ranger to the possible danger.

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jllcali
by Jane on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Idiots. They should be prosecuted. They would have to be incredibly ill informed scout leaders or very stupid to think they were doing the right thing. They should be banned from national parks. And write an essay explaining why they were wrong to do something so stupid.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Can't fix dumbf*ck.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 4:30 AM

As they described it, a family was taking pictures or something below the rock while one of their scouts walked by, causing the rock to wobble.  Hence they thought it was unsafe.  I can see where they were coming from but agree with their retrospectives.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:28 AM
I don't think charges are warranted
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 6:48 AM
Do they have charges for being dumber than a bag of rocks?
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

it's a rock...ok an old rock

what historic nature does it preserve?

I think charges are stupid

meleth
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw the video when this first hit the news. I thought (and still do) that they seem drunk. Or, at least buzzed. Especially the guy in the hat who kept hopping up & down. I don't know that charges are warranted, maybe a fine. But if I had my son in that troop, I'd pull him out.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Quoting meleth:

I saw the video when this first hit the news. I thought (and still do) that they seem drunk. Or, at least buzzed. Especially the guy in the hat who kept hopping up & down. I don't know that charges are warranted, maybe a fine. But if I had my son in that troop, I'd pull him out.

agreed, and he should face charges because he was saying he was so injured from a job he couldn't work..yet here he is hiking and moving a boulder

but for pushing a rock? no

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:25 PM

GOOD

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this

for willful destruction of a protected wild area? yes. 

he should also be kicked out of scouting.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting meleth:

agreed, and he should face charges because he was saying he was so injured from a job he couldn't work..yet here he is hiking and moving a boulder

but for pushing a rock? no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)