Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM
  • 160 Replies

She and her boyfriend Sollecito were both found guilty, again. Neither was present for most of the retrial. It seems that Sollecito was there at the end. If Italy asks for her to be extradited and I assume that they will since they went through the time and expense to re try her and consequently found her guilty, do you think the US should comply? Do you think she is guilty?

I'm mobile and can't add a link but I got my information from CNN 's website.

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:49 PM
7 moms liked this

No I don't think we should comply.

She was tried multiple times for the same crime, not what we would do here in the states at all. Here, we can't try someone for the same crime twice. That in itself would seem to be adequate reason not to allowed her to be extradited.

I'm not sure she is innocent in all of this, but that is beside the point- she was tried, and found innocent previously.

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you on them trying her twice for the same crime. I hope that's a strong enough reason for the U.S. not to do it.

I'm not sure what evidence the Italian court has against her. I don't think a motive has ever been established. I've read that the supposed motive is that Meredith refused to participate in sex games with Knox, Sollecito, and the third man who us currently serving time for her murder. That doesn't seem feasible to me. A previously stable, person with no background or signs of instability or violence would participate or commit such a vicious crime because someone refused to attend to her whims.

Quoting Ziva65:

No I don't think we should comply.

She was tried multiple times for the same crime, not what we would do here in the states at all. Here, we can't try someone for the same crime twice. That in itself would seem to be adequate reason not to allowed her to be extradited.

I'm not sure she is innocent in all of this, but that is beside the point- she was tried, and found innocent previously.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually we will probably not comply and we shouldnt

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:45 PM

What's the back story here?

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I wish I could give you a link but I'll have to give you the cliff notes version instead. Amanda Knox wad an American student, studying in Italy. Her house mate, a British student was found dead and stabbed 40 times. From the beginning the Italian media and police blamed Knox and her boyfriend, who is an Italian citizen, claiming the victim wouldn't participate in their sex games, so they viciously killed her. Although neither has a violent past.

The Italian courts first found her guilty, then acquitted her, then held a re trial and found her guilty again. I think the verdict was reached today. She already served time in prison but I'm not sure how long. Once acquitted she returned to the US. She was not present for the retrial.

There is a third man supposedly also involved in the sex games who is currently serving time in prison for his part. His dna was found at the scene.The victim was Meredith Kercher and her family is pleased with the verdict. There have been a lot of accusations on the American side that the Italian justice system is extremely corrupt.

Quoting paganbaby:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Thanks! 

So Italy found her guilty then aquitted her, now they tried her again and found her guilty. Isn't that double jepordy?

Quoting KreatingMe:

I wish I could give you a link but I'll have to give you the cliff notes version instead. Amanda Knox wad an American student, studying in Italy. Her house mate, a British student was found dead and stabbed 40 times. From the beginning the Italian media and police blamed Knox and her boyfriend, who is an Italian citizen, claiming the victim wouldn't participate in their sex games, so they viciously killed her. Although neither has a violent past.

The Italian courts first found her guilty, then acquitted her, then held a re trial and found her guilty again. I think the verdict was reached today. She already served time in prison but I'm not sure how long. Once acquitted she returned to the US. She was not present for the retrial.

There is a third man supposedly also involved in the sex games who is currently serving time in prison for his part. His dna was found at the scene.The victim was Meredith Kercher and her family is pleased with the verdict. There have been a lot of accusations on the American side that the Italian justice system is extremely corrupt.

Quoting paganbaby:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

ceedee77
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't think she's guilty. Even if she was, there's no evidence that points to that.

I think it's ridiculous that they wasted time retrying her, while Rudy Guede, the only man who definitively had a role in Meredith's death (and in my opinion acted alone) had his sentence reduced from 30 years to 16 years, and will be eligible for release this year. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this

In Italy, you can try someone more than once for the same crime. They don't have double jeopardy over there. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Thanks! 

So Italy found her guilty then aquitted her, now they tried her again and found her guilty. Isn't that double jepordy?

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting paganbaby:

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM
We shouldn't comply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, that's not very fair.

Quoting smalltowngal:

In Italy, you can try someone more than once for the same crime. They don't have double jeopardy over there. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Thanks! 

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting paganbaby:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)