Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mother Throws 3 Newborn Babies Into Dumpster, Sentenced to 18 Months in Jail

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM
  • 79 Replies

Mother Throws 3 Newborn Babies Into Dumpster, Sentenced to 18 Months in Jail

article image

Meredith Borowiec gave birth to three children between 2008 and 2010, and left each newborn child to die in a dumpster.

Two out of the three perished.

The third baby, also deposited into a trash can by the loving mother, was rescued from the bin by a man who turned out to be the child’s father, though he did not know it at the time. (He told CBC News in 2010: "I pulled into my parking spot and hadn't even got to the back of my truck and a girl said, 'I think hear a baby in the dumpster.' So I, you know — no knowledge at this time that this is my kid whatsoever — I went running over.")

Borowiec has already spent 18 months in custody, during which time she gave birth to a fourth baby.

This week she was sentenced to 18 more months in jail, as well as three years of probation. She was found guilty of two cases of infanticide, and one case of aggravated assault.

The judge noted that Borowiec cooperated with police, pleading guilty to the first two deaths, and has shown “genuine remorse.” Apparently, without information she provided regarding the first two deaths, there wouldn't have been a solid case against her.

“It hurts me every day knowing what I have done,” Borowiec stated.

In the case of the first two children, Borowiec didn’t even check the gender of the babies before wrapping them in a plastic bag and putting them in a dumpster. Both times, she birthed the child “into a toilet in her apartment.”

She was, however, aware that the children were alive, comparing the babies’ cries to kitten meows. She hid the pregnancies from both her boyfriend and from her coworkers, claiming that her changing figure was attributable to cysts on her uterus.

“It was like something took me over,” Borowiec said of the moments following birth, when she condemned the babies to death. “It was like I wasn’t in control. I wasn’t normal.”

As you would expect, reaction to this sentence has been mixed.

Sources: CBC News, Huffington Post, Calgary Sun

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Wth. I was gonna say how did the father not know but it seemed she hid it. 18 months isn't long enough
pinkfairy0206
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Loving mother?? Umm no. So not only does she do this once, she goes on to do it 2 more xs? ! What a poor excuse for a human being. You would hope that now maybe they will hand down an actual sentence.
pinkfairy0206
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh wait I missed that she gets 18 months, for MURDER!!! and this is why people take matters into their own hands when the justice system fails
lga1965
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM
4 moms liked this
She's mentally disturbed. Intellectually challenged. Insane. She needs a LONG sentence. LONG. Away from men. She is a horrible person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtillaTheHun
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this
WTH?! Loving mother my ass. This is one of the cases where I'd make it a requirement for her to have her uterus removed before being allowed unsupervised around anyone with a penis.
LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I see that our Canadian justice system is hard at work. 

I know parents who give out stiffer sentences to their teenagers for breaking curfew.

seksen
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Only 18 months? Our justice system makes me sick!
LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I think she might be addicted to pregnancy. She has to be mentally impaired to get pregnant 4 times in 4 years knowing she won't keep the baby or even kidding herself that she will.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Are you Canadian? Cause if she had done this in the States she'd be behind bars for a very long ass time. However the Canadian justice system is a tad different. If anything she'll probably get the mental healthcare she obviously needs that she might not get in an American prison. 

Quoting seksen: Only 18 months? Our justice system makes me sick!
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I found a baby in a dumpster once when I was 13. It truly is a horrible thing. Especially since the police at first thought it was my baby. Like what?

We humans like to think that since we have cognitive capabilities that we're above things like this. However, it's not unusual at all in nature for mothers to abandon their babies. Especially mammals. Does that make what this lady did right or excusable? No. Absolutely not. But there's an extremely long history of humans abandoning newborns. In some places even today it's expected to abandon them if there's something wrong with the baby. 

Either way, there's something wrong with this lady and I hope she gets help while she's in prison. And hopefully consents to getting her tubes tied or something. If there's something in her makeup that makes her reject her newborns then she should take steps to preventing pregnancy period. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)