Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Petition to Ban Controversial Christian Parenting Book From Amazon

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:17 AM
  • 107 Replies

Petition to Ban Controversial Christian Parenting Book From Amazon 

article image

An online petition to pull a controversial Christian parenting book from Amazon has gathered almost 100,000 signatures.

A Change.org petition wants the 1994 book To Train Up a Child written by Michael and Debi Pearl to be removed from Amazon because it has been linked to the deaths of three children, whose parents say they were influenced by the advice, noted Examiner.com.

According to Slate.com:

Since the book’s original publication in 1994, a bevy of child abuse cases have citied the Pearls' evangelical guidebook as the source of the offending parents’ behavior, but formal action has never been taken against the authors. A tragically common theme among the stories is the use of a quarter-inch thick length of plumbing pipe used to hit badly behaving kids; the Pearls call it the “Rod of Reproof,” citing a passage from the biblical book Proverbs as justification.

"Spanking is only an option that we have, that we seldom use, but having that option gives authority to our words," Michael Pearl told The Christian Post in 2012. "Having that option means that if we have a rebellious child, or if we have a child that's otherwise compliant but one day has a rebellious streak that child, knowing that we have an option to spank, gives authority to our words, and helps us to communicate our will to the child and to receive compliance."

The organizer of the Change.org petition, Amie Salter, states on the petition page, "While this book does not directly kill children, it takes the accountability away, offering reassurance that hitting children into obedience is a valid form of parenting."

Salter also cited a YouTube video showing the Pearls at a parenting conference demonstrating their spanking techniques.

When one audience member asks how to handle angry husband, Michael Pearl advises her to "make love" and "make him happy."

Michael Pearl also warns his audience about black Muslim gangs who "kill white people."

Sources: Amazon, Change.org, Examiner.com, The Christian Post, Slate.com

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:20 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't agree with banning books.   

circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I knew as soon as I saw the title it was going to be this book. A friend of mine had this book and was really into it for awhile. I found it quite disturbing.
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:22 AM
7 moms liked this

While I agree with you, I sure wish we could ban stupid thinking.

Quoting momtoscott:

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM
4 moms liked this

I struggle with this one. I don't believe in banning books or censorship, but I also work with abused children and we have had one death in our area where the parents were using this book and three cases of severe abuse and neglect where this book was involved. It is being used as an excuse to harm children and two of our local churches have it on their recommended reading lists. 

My brain is in conflict with my heart.

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Me, too.  The best solution to the problem of these idiots and their book and seminars IMO is for the community that has supported them (evangelicals) to shun them, instead.  Especially now that several children have died after their parents followed the Pearls' advice.  

Quoting idunno1234:

While I agree with you, I sure wish we could ban stupid thinking.

Quoting momtoscott:

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Lmao @ black Muslim gangs who kill white people. Ummmmm nooooo. I am black and Muslim and rarely do I see a large group of us out to kill white people. As far as his book goes if people want to buy that trash they will find a way to do it. I don't think amazon should ban it though
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd sign the petition. That book is evil. The people who wrote it are too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D-Town
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I do not fault the authors. The parents using this book as a reason to abuse their children are to blame. Common sense should have overrode the teachings of the authors. If someone gives you bad advice and you listen knowing its bad the onus is on you. Same with these abusive parents.

The parents citing this book are looking for excuses for their behavior. To even entertain banning a book because they want absolution is giving their claims credence.
Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I don't agree with banning books. People need to use common sense though. I've read this book as well as "Created to be His Helpmeet" by Debbie Pearl.  At least I TRIED to read them! I couldn't stomach reading the whole thing. Both books promote abuse ( child abuse in "To Train up a Child" and spousal abuse in "Created"). I have friends who swear by "Created to be His Helpmeet" and it makes me sick!

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM
6 moms liked this
I prefer to protect children after they are born from abusive parents who r totally brainwashed by a "Christian " couple's advice on child raising.
Usually I am against banning books but I don't consider that this is a book. It's guidelines for abuse in the name of "what God wants". A bunch of lies that caused murders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured