Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Plans to open a store selling only expired food

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:36 AM
  • 86 Replies
2 moms liked this

Trader Joe's ex-president to open store selling expired food

Published January 22, 2014
FoxNews.com
  • supermarket.jpg

We've all heard about the massive food waste Americans incur every year.

'Sell-by', 'best-by' and 'use-by' dates are mostly unregulated and confusing for consumers when it comes to throwing items out --a factor that contributes to $165 billion of food wasted every year.

But the former president of Trader Joe's Doug Rauch says he's got a solution.

In May, he's launching The Daily Table, a grocery store and restaurant in Dorchester, Mass., that will offer inexpensive food considered 'unsellable' by regular grocery stores.

Food available will include fruits and vegetables that are expired and repurposed food that will be incorporated into hot meals. Other items for sale will be products that are fine to eat but may have damaged packaging.

"Most families know that they're not giving their kids the nutrition they need. But they just can't afford it, they don't have an option," Rauch recently told Salon.

His big idea: Make healthy food available for the working poor at the same price as fast food by using expired food.

A recent report from the Natural Resources Defense Council and Harvard Law School's Food Law and Policy Clinic says Americans are prematurely throwing out food, largely because of confusion over what expiration dates actually mean.

Dana Gunders with the Natural Resources Defense Council and co-author of the study, said that as much as 40 percent of food in the U.S. -or the equivalent of $165 billion-- is wasted, thrown away to fill our landfills after spoiling in the refrigerator or pantry.

Although Daily Table will be setup as a non-profit, it is a retail store, not a food bank or a soup kitchen.

Rauch is hardly the first to sell expired food or slightly damaged items deemed unsellable for cosmetic reasons. Discount supermarkets already offer many of the same items, but don't sell prepared food.

Yet, critics have accused Rauch of taking rich people's food, repurposing it, and selling it to the poor, something he just shrugs off.

"I might say, without naming the names, one of the leading, best regarded brands in the large, national, food industry - they basically recover the food within their stores, cook it up and put it out on their hot trays the next day," Rauch said in an 2013 interview with NPR. "That's the stuff that we're going to be talking about. We're talking about taking and recovering food. Most of what we offer will be fruits and vegetables that have a use-by date on it that'll be several days out."

So would you go shopping at The Daily Table or think it's a good idea? Let us know what you think.

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't know if anyone else posted about this but the thing that gets me more than anything is the estimated $165 billion worth of food, up to 40% of our food supply that is tossed.

People go hungry, children starve around the world and yet so many consume to excess and toss without another thought.

My main concern with this would be liability because in our sue happy culture, one person gets sick the whole operation gets shut down.  Otherwise, I think its an excellent idea.

Would any of you shop at a store like this?

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this

It is CRIMINAL that we throw away 40% of our food!  The least they could do is compost the vegetables and give away the good garden soil!  Ewwww...What do they do with the meat? <barf>

I think they should do this -- mark the food down by at least 50% and then on the very last day, donate what is left over to shelters, soup kitchens, etc. And compost the left over vegetables to create good soil for urban gardening projects or something.

lga1965
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM
5 moms liked this
I think it's a wonderful idea. Tbe expiration dates are mostly a guess and meaningless. Right now I'm still drinking some skim milk with an expiration date of January 18. It smells and tastes fresh.
People need to be realistic and admit that this is a valuable move to help feed the poor in America. There are too many of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lyzmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this
Around here, at least, those items are sent to the food shelves so the working poor can feed their families. I say working poor, because they are generally the ones using the food shelves. They don't qualify for food stamps, or not much anyway, and yet struggle to put food on the table everyday.
If he feels the need to profit off those items, so be it. I'd rather see it go to hungry families that can't pay for it, or the homeless. But, this is America. It's all about the mighty $.
OHIOmommy330
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I would benefit from that. I can use all the help I can get. great idea

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this
Wonderful idea. I think they should have one in every city.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saphiraka
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

There have been a couple of times in my area someone has opened a store like this.. or Bent and Dent cans and boxes..  I loved shopping there.. never had any probelm with food being bad.  Down side is they get trucks and never know what is on them.. So its not a place to expect to consistantly buy certain products.. The prices were pretty cheap and I would often stock up on stuff like soup etc.  Both times though the places went out of business.. So Idk if its the area or if in general /anywhere would have problems making enough to stay open.   Some stuff ex.. name brand soups like progresso/campbels chunky soups.. Reg price at grocery store $3+  were like $1 -1.50.  Gravy mixes for a quarter.. Ceral for $2.. etc

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Quoting Lyzmom: Around here, at least, those items are sent to the food shelves so the working poor can feed their families. I say working poor, because they are generally the ones using the food shelves. They don't qualify for food stamps, or not much anyway, and yet struggle to put food on the table everyday.
If he feels the need to profit off those items, so be it. I'd rather see it go to hungry families that can't pay for it, or the homeless. But, this is America. It's all about the mighty $.

Food pantries  in my area will NOT take expired food.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
We would shop there. Dh works at WalMart and they threw out a cart full of kcups cause they were out of date. Dh and I would have had zero problem drinking them he asked them if we could have them and they said no.
deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Wow where do you live? Campbells chunky soup is never more than a 1.50 here.

Quoting saphiraka:

There have been a couple of times in my area someone has opened a store like this.. or Bent and Dent cans and boxes..  I loved shopping there.. never had any probelm with food being bad.  Down side is they get trucks and never know what is on them.. So its not a place to expect to consistantly buy certain products.. The prices were pretty cheap and I would often stock up on stuff like soup etc.  Both times though the places went out of business.. So Idk if its the area or if in general /anywhere would have problems making enough to stay open.   Some stuff ex.. name brand soups like progresso/campbels chunky soups.. Reg price at grocery store $3+  were like $1 -1.50.  Gravy mixes for a quarter.. Ceral for $2.. etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)