Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have a question about Mandatory Health Insurance

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM
  • 67 Replies

If you don't get coverage, you get fined. From what I was told on another thread, the fine comes out of your income tax return. What if you don't file for taxes? 

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:03 PM

If you have an income you need to file your taxes. If you don't get a return you would end up owing money.

-42-
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't affect this years taxes.

But if your income is so low that you do not have to file taxes, you are exempt from the fine.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I guess if you have zero taxable income, you don't have to get insurance. Maybe that's how the fine was deemed constitutional; the SCOTUS deemed the "fine" a tax.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:12 PM
3 moms liked this
You've got bigger issues if you don't file your taxes. At some point the IRS estimates and files for you. It usually is not to your benefit.

*general you
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:13 PM

There are lots of people who don't file for taxes. People that get paid under the table. What happens to them if they don't get insurance?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

If you do not file a tax return every year the IRS will estimate your tax and come after you. Seriously what kind-of people do you hang out with that you feel there are lots of people who don't file taxes. wow

Quoting VooDooB:

There are lots of people who don't file for taxes. People that get paid under the table. What happens to them if they don't get insurance?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Those who don't have an employer reporting taxable wages for them is probably who you're talking about? I don think we are referring to the same demographic. My thoughts on getting paid under the table is that they probably aren't doing that well financially to begin with. It's easier to hide money when you don't have much. Eventually someone will wonder where that new truck or house came from that a person has to pay taxes on.

Quoting VooDooB:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Lol, just because people get paid under the table doesn't mean they aren't supposed to file. Obviously, the mandatory health insurance is only as enforceable as other taxes.

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I understand that, but there are many people who don't file. I recently saw that 53% don't. I just don't understand how everyone is this country is supposed to have insurance by law when half don't even file.

What about "undocumented workers?" 

What happens if you don't have insurance and you go to the hospital for an emergency? Will it be any different next year than it was last year? Will people still be treated, billed, bill never gets paid, and that's that?

I just don't really get it.

Quoting stringtheory: Lol, just because people get paid under the table doesn't mean they aren't supposed to file. Obviously, the mandatory health insurance is only as enforceable as other taxes.

Quoting VooDooB:

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Quoting VooDooB:

I understand that, but there are many people who don't file. I recently saw that 53% don't. I just don't understand how everyone is this country is supposed to have insurance by law when half don't even file.

What about "undocumented workers?" 

What happens if you don't have insurance and you go to the hospital for an emergency? Will it be any different next year than it was last year? Will people still be treated, billed, bill never gets paid, and that's that?

I just don't really get it.

Quoting stringtheory: Lol, just because people get paid under the table doesn't mean they aren't supposed to file. Obviously, the mandatory health insurance is only as enforceable as other taxes.

Quoting VooDooB:

I think you saw that 53% don't actually PAY any taxes. They still file.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)