Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Flu situation is getting scary

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM
  • 97 Replies

147 deaths in California so far this flu season. The health department only tracks the deaths of those under age 65, so it could even be higher if seniors are counted as well. And in the past week I've heard about the deaths of two relatively young people from flu.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/01/28/east-bay-woman-dies-suddenly-from-h1n1-flu-virus/

http://www.10news.com/news/brother-of-san-diego-city-councilman-mark-kersey-dies-of-h1n1-flu-013114

The woman in the first story was 47. The other gentleman was 37. Too young. 

I know not everyone agrees with getting flu shots. This is really to say, take care of yourselves, everyone.

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a low percentage of persons that die from complications every year from the flu.  I have never gotten a flu shot; nor do my children.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:33 AM
2 moms liked this

The stomach flu ran through my family last week.  When I was in the doctor's office (I can't handle nausea, was in there only to get meds for that), he asked me if I had gotten a flu shot.  He says that each year he takes an informal poll of those he sees with the flu.  My family did not get the shot this year.  

He said that he didn't believe it would have mattered.  He said that it seems that this year, the shots aren't very effective.  He said it happened a few years ago as well.  He feels that the strain infecting people isn't one that the shot covers.  

I know that last year the shot hadn't been updated in several years, it still contained the most popular strains from a few years prior.  

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Wait, the H1N1 flu?  Isn't that the one that hit really bad a few years ago and isn't included in the flu shot anyway?  I remember our health department giving away shots for H1N1....

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:44 AM

You know the strain that is killing the most people right now this season, is the H1N1? As in Swine Flu? That's what they're talking about.

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting anxiousschk:

The stomach flu ran through my family last week.  When I was in the doctor's office (I can't handle nausea, was in there only to get meds for that), he asked me if I had gotten a flu shot.  He says that each year he takes an informal poll of those he sees with the flu.  My family did not get the shot this year.  

He said that he didn't believe it would have mattered.  He said that it seems that this year, the shots aren't very effective.  He said it happened a few years ago as well.  He feels that the strain infecting people isn't one that the shot covers.  

I know that last year the shot hadn't been updated in several years, it still contained the most popular strains from a few years prior.  

I'm sorry but your doctor is out to lunch with his information. It's not the seasonal flu that's the problem, it's H1N1 flu that's the problem & which is killing more young people than elderly people this time around. Your doctor instead of brushing it off, should have encouraged you to have the H1N1 shot as you are most likely near or in the age group that is being affected the most.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Quoting anxiousschk:

Wait, the H1N1 flu?  Isn't that the one that hit really bad a few years ago and isn't included in the flu shot anyway?  I remember our health department giving away shots for H1N1....

Yes. The flu strain that is killing all these people so far this season is the H1N1 strain. Many people I think are over looking this and running to get flu vaccinations. The regular flu shot does not cover the H1N1 strain. I believe tamiflu? the nasal one? Can fight it, but I may be wrong. As far as I know in our areas and others around here, we were told that they were all out. I am particularly a bit alarmed at this flu season because there is another strain of flu that is much more deadly than the H1N1 that they say isn't commutable yet from person to person, but the amount of deaths they have so far has WHO concerned. Alongside that, you also have a strain of the coronavirus that picked up last year around may or so but died down in activity for a bit. It seems to be popping up now as well. The nurse from Canada who went to China came back and she had the Corona Virus, and two other flu strains. She died within 2 days i believe it was. It was so bad, and viral, they didn't want to do a full autopsy - namely the brain - to which it had spread to. Soon after that, there was a spike in cases. It's not anything good imo. 

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Thank you for posting that tid bit about the age. I just wrote two comments to this post and totally forgot to put in that it's young healthy adults who are catching and dying from the H1N1 strain this season. I meant to but it completely slipped my mind by the time i was done writing.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting anxiousschk:

I'm sorry but your doctor is out to lunch with his information. It's not the seasonal flu that's the problem, it's H1N1 flu that's the problem & which is killing more young people than elderly people this time around. Your doctor instead of brushing it off, should have encouraged you to have the H1N1 shot as you are most likely near or in the age group that is being affected the most.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

There is a low percentage of persons that die from complications every year from the flu.  I have never gotten a flu shot; nor do my children.

It's not the regular flu that is killing people this year. It's the H1N1, "swine flu". There are a few others that are deadlier that are also going around but fortunatly aren't being found in the North America area currently. They had one case where an ER RN from canada contracted H1N1, a strain of the Corona Virus, and another virus. By the time she got back to canada she went to the ER. She was dead within 2 days. The virsus had mutated and spread to her central nervous system, and from spinal fluid were able to confirm that's what she had. People are very misinformed this season, as they believe it's all just hype, or it's just the flu. This year it isn't the regular flu, and it's not just one strain. Furthermore, it's killing young healthy adults - people in their 20's to middle age adults. Most have no preexisting conditions, and/or sickness/illness's. That should say a lot to you right there. Before hand it was elderly, young children, and pregnant women who were at risk. IMO people should be concerned because many of the viruses are mutating, getting stronger and deadlier. When out in public, and someone sneezes and doesn't cover their nose / mouth - I'll admit, I do cringe. People have no idea. Some of this stuff maybe scary to hear/read, but it's better to know about it and understand it. Than to be in the dark and oblivious, when it gets bad. They say that we will have another pandemic, it's not if but when. 

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Yes, it's H1N1 again. One of my high school classmates died in the outbreak a few years ago.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 2, 2014 at 2:13 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm so confused as to why people freak out every damn year like this is new. On average the flu (either simply influenza or complications from the flu [like pneumonia] ) causes about 36,000 deaths per year in the U.S.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN