Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 26 Replies

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences

SOCHI, RUSSIA - JANUARY 31:  Skiers are seen as construction is done ahead of the Rosa Khutor Mountain Cluster village ahead of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics on January 31, 2014 in Rosa Khutor, Sochi. (Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Skiers walk by a construction site ahead of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. (Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Amid continued debate over whether or not Sochi is prepared to host the 2014 Olympics, which begins Thursday, reporters from around the world are starting to check into local hotels — to their apparent grief. Some journalists arriving in Sochi are describing appalling conditions in the housing there, where only six of nine media hotels are ready for guests. Hotels are still under construction. Water, if it’s running, isn’t drinkable. One German photographer told the AP over the weekend that his hotel still had stray dogs and construction workers wandering in and out of rooms.

tweets and pics here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/04/journalists-at-sochi-are-live-tweeting-their-hilarious-and-gross-hotel-experiences/?tid=sm_fb

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

View image on Twitter

This is the one hotel room @Sochi2014 have given us so far. Shambles.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Harry Reekie @HarryCNN

CNN booked 11 rooms in one @Sochi2014 media hotel five months ago. We have been here for a day and only one room is available.

View image on Twitter

The reception of our hotel in has no floor. But it does have this welcoming picture.

squeekers
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I really hate the fact that people of Sochi are out in the local surrounding areas shooting all the stray animals they come across so their town will look cleaner & better for all the world's news reporters.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM

View image on Twitter

People have asked me what surprised me the most here in Sochi. It's this. Without question ... it's ... THIS.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Stacy St. Clair @StacyStClair

My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous."

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this

The olympic commitee should ban Russia from ever again holding the olympics ever. What they are doing to stray animals is sick.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Oh My.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Stacy St. Clair @StacyStClair

My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
They're shooting stray animals.
They've threatened to kick out any gay athletes.
They're not prepared and are still building sets and hotels and the opening ceremonies are in TWO days.

What a disgrace.

Quoting mikiemom:

The olympic commitee should ban Russia from ever again holding the olympics ever. What they are doing to stray animals is sick.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-of-three3
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Why the fuck did they let Russia hold the Olympics in the first place??? I've been wondering that since I found out it was going to be there.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Wow... The link says the streets have open manholes randomly without covers, hotels without roofs, and the main stage is still under construction.

Seriously?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)