Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it just me......

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

....or does this headline make no sense? I think they're trying to say he wants faster web access available to more students, but the way this headline is written, it sounds like poor grammar instead. Maybe I'm just tired, but it just looks wrong to me.

More fast Web access on Obama's syllabus

By Ovetta Wiggins and David Nakamura / The Washington Post

WASHINGTON -- Visiting an innovative Maryland middle school where each child has a tablet computer, President Barack Obama spoke Tuesday about his plan to give 20 million more students access to high-speed Internet connections at the nation's schools and libraries.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2014/02/05/More-fast-Web-access-on-Obama-s-syllabus/stories/201402050082#ixzz2sSEinsXc

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Technically, i think it's correct because "more" is used in the sense of numbers, not as a descriptor of "fast."  But it sounds terrible to say it.

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM
I do this with more headlines than I like to admit. I get that economy of words is the goal, but an extra one here or there would really clarify things :)
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

That's what is tripping me up. My brain wants it to say Faster instead of More Fast

Quoting nelopyma:

Technically, i think it's correct because "more" is used in the sense of numbers, not as a descriptor of "fast."  But it sounds terrible to say it.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Fastweb is a website used to get scholarships for school.  Its a play on words.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Interesting. I didn't know that.

GLWerth
by Gina on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Technically correct, but really awkward!

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Yep :)  So when he says "more fastweb is on the syllabus" he means more access to a website that will allow students to get money to pay for school.  The capitalization and spaces are incorrect in the title still, though lol.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Interesting. I didn't know that.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM

After reading the little blurb though... maybe he's not talking about Fastweb.  Maybe he IS talking about internet access in general, in which case... yeah that is awkward phrasing.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Problem is the same person who writes the story doesn't write the headline. A copy editor writes it later, who may have zero understanding of the actual story. So I can see how it would happen. It's just bad, because a headline is what pulls a reader in, so if it makes no sense or is awkward, the reader probably isn't going to stop and look at the story.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

After reading the little blurb though... maybe he's not talking about Fastweb.  Maybe he IS talking about internet access in general, in which case... yeah that is awkward phrasing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)