Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off/ Who is responsible for an overdose death?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 209 Replies

Is it the person actually doing the drugs?  Or is it the dealer for selling the drugs, the pharmacist for filling the script?  The Family for no intervention? How far do we stretch the responsibility for a careless or wreckless act by an individual?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDenuninani
by A.Ham on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM
15 moms liked this

I see addiction as a disease.  In my view, asking who is responsible for an overdose is like asking who is responsible for the cancer that finally kills you.  

On one hand, you could blame the person for not going in for a check-up early enough, or not being preventative, or the doctor for not effectively treating it, but ultimately, it's cancer.  The chances of beating it can just be very slim.  

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM
25 moms liked this

Ultimately the responsibility falls to the person using/misusing the drugs.  There are times where legal culpability can come into play; doctors that act as legal drug dealers knowing they are not treating illness but rather feeding addiction should at the min. have their licenses reviewed and revoked.  Heroin dealers should be jailed for drug trafficking but ultimately the fault of death falls to the individual who actively sought out and obtained the drugs they misused.  

Blaming the family for not rescuing the drug addict from himself is unfair and those that believe this is a simple task they failed have more than likely not dealt with a drug addict.  

momtoscott
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM

It depends on who knows what, IMO.  In the case of "legal" drugs, sometimes the drug manufacturers cover up incidences of people accidentally overdosing on their drugs by very mild amounts--this happened in the case of Tylenol, where it is actually very easy to overdose and do permanent damage to your liver or die.   Sometimes doctors are careless in prescribing drugs or don't warn of interactions, a problem for the pharmacist, too.  In these cases, a large part of the blame lies with the doctor, the manufacturer, the pharmacist. 

If the person taking a legal drug, over the counter or prescribed, knows what amount to take and what to avoid while taking a drug, and ignores that information, then that person is to blame.  

For illegal drugs, I would like some illegal drugs legalized and regulated, so that people using them have access to better information and to drugs whose ingredients and quality are known.  

Ultimately with illegal drugs, the responsibility is on the individual taking the drug, at least in the cases where that individual is an adult.   

Seasidegirl
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Ultimately, it is the drug user. But if that drug user is purchasing illegal drugs or if /she has been prescribed drugs in an illegal way, the dealer/pharmacist/doctor bears some responsibility.

Josie_P
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM
5 moms liked this

Person using the drugs

Twix.Leigh
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
The person using it. While it is not favorable for people to be doing drugs, it is ultimately their responsibility to do it safely.
furbabymum
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Well seeings as the criminal justice system charges the dealers I'm going with that.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Do you feel that our Justice system is always just?  Do you think people are treated consistantly the same in these cases?

Quoting furbabymum:

Well seeings as the criminal justice system charges the dealers I'm going with that.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this

So why do many of you think gun owners should be held responsible if someone else kills someone with their gun?

furbabymum
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Of course not. There have been times where some people were charged and not others. They're all doing the same thing so why were they all not charged? Sometimes it's cooperation. Other times I just do not understand why someone wasn't charged. Also, I find women get away with a lot more crap than men. There have been cases where I couldn't believe that a man was charged for doing less than a female co-conspirator and she wasn't charged. Baffles me. I just know that they charge the dealers in overdose deaths. We had one in the paper a few years back. It was a bull rider who OD'd on heroin. They charged everyone in a conspiracy for it. If you introduce someone to someone else for the purpose of obtaining drugs then you are charged just like the person who actually did the drug dealing.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Do you feel that our Justice system is always just?  Do you think people are treated consistantly the same in these cases?

Quoting furbabymum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)