Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Police: Drug Arrests Connected to Hoffman Death Investigation

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

Police: Drug Arrests Connected to Hoffman Death Investigation

Police arrested four people on drug charges in connection with the death investigation of Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, police told ABC News.

Investigators received a tip that the four suspects – three men and one woman – were dealing heroin out of a New York City apartment. Police executed search warrants in three units of a Mott Street apartment and found more than 350 bags of heroin.

Robert Vineberg, 57, and Thomas Cushman, 48, were both charged with felony criminal possession of a controlled substance. Vineberg was also charged with criminal use of drug paraphernalia.

Max Rosenbloom and Juliana Luchkiw, both 22, were charged with criminal use of drug paraphernalia, criminal use of controlled substance, and unlawful possession of marijuana.

The exact connection between the arrests and Hoffman’s death is unclear – and the heroin recovered during Tuesday’s raid did not include the “Ace of Spades” labels of the drug bags found in Hoffman’s apartment.

Police are currently testing the recovered heroin to determine the heroin’s potency and whether the drugs were laced with another substance.

The arrests come four days after a friend found the “Capote” actor dead inside his Manhattan apartment with a syringe in his arm. Investigators recovered multiple types of drugs from Hoffman’s apartment – more than 50 bags of heroin, along with syringes, a charred spoon and various prescription medications, including a blood pressure drug and a muscle relaxant, law enforcement officials have said.

Investigators also found the addiction-treatment drug buprenorphine, a medication used to treat addiction to heroin and other narcotics.

Officials initially wondered if the heroin found at Hoffman’s apartment contained fentanyl, a potent synthetic morphine linked to 22 suspected overdose deaths in western Pennsylvania. While official toxicology results are forthcoming – they’ll likely be released next month – preliminary tests of the heroin showed no traces of fentanyl, NYPD spokesman Stephen Davis told ABC News.

Hoffman’s autopsy results could also be released Wednesday.

Investigators have determined that the “Capote” star made six ATM transactions for a total of $1,200 inside a supermarket near his home the day before his death, law enforcement officials said.

Hoffman’s death has shaken the acting world. Adept in movies and the stage, Hoffman gained recognition in supporting roles before breaking through to stardom. Broadway theaters will dim their marquee lights at 7:45 p.m. Wednesday in his memory.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 year ago, Chris Kyle was killed.
VooDooB
by The Corruptor on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM
That's a good topic. Are you planning to start a thread on it?

Quoting EireLass: 1 year ago, Chris Kyle was killed.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I have no idea why you posted this as it doesn't pertain to the topic...but here ya go

AUSTIN -- It's been one year highly-decorated Navy SEAL Chris Kyle was killed by a fellow veteran he was trying to help.

When Kyle was killed on Feb. 2, 2013, his funeral become international news as thousands stepped forward to say goodbye to the most-decorated sniper in American military history.

“He was definitely a huge pillar in my life,” said Jeff Kyle, an eight-year Marine veteran and Chris Kyle’s brother.

Before he died, Kyle was involved in a project to help veterans work through post-traumatic stress through fitness. The Chris Kyle Gym is opening in the Texas Hill Country to serve the veterans Kyle was so passionate about helping.

“I don’t think we’ll ever catch up to what our veterans need,” Jeff Kyle said.

Looking back, almost a year after Chris Kyle’s death, Jeff said Chris shouldn’t be remembered for how many people he killed as a sniper, but how many lives he protected doing his job.

“What bothered him the most is he didn’t know how many people he saved. That was the hardest part for him getting out,” Jeff Kyle said.

In honor of his brother’s death, this Sunday Jeff hopes people will simply do a good for someone who needs it.

Seasidegirl
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I am very sad that Phillip Seymour Hoffman died. He was a phenomenal actor. And I think it is important to get (especially) bad heroin off the streets -- there have been reports of heroin mixed with a potent pain killer or sedative being particularly dangerous and linked to numerous deaths, at least in the northeast.

But I can't help thinking that if (and I'm sure it has happened) a poor black junkie keeled over from shooting heroin, there would be no arrests. There would be nothing but another dead junkie in the cops' eyes, more than likely.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

if you go to my group there is an interesting article about that

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I am very sad that Phillip Seymour Hoffman died. He was a phenomenal actor. And I think it is important to get (especially) bad heroin off the streets -- there have been reports of heroin mixed with a potent pain killer or sedative being particularly dangerous and linked to numerous deaths, at least in the northeast.

But I can't help thinking that if (and I'm sure it has happened) a poor black junkie keeled over from shooting heroin, there would be no arrests. There would be nothing but another dead junkie in the cops' eyes, more than likely.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Because I can't believe all the brouhaha given to a lousy drug addict.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I have no idea why you posted this as it doesn't pertain to the topic...but here ya go

AUSTIN -- It's been one year highly-decorated Navy SEAL Chris Kyle was killed by a fellow veteran he was trying to help.

When Kyle was killed on Feb. 2, 2013, his funeral become international news as thousands stepped forward to say goodbye to the most-decorated sniper in American military history.

“He was definitely a huge pillar in my life,” said Jeff Kyle, an eight-year Marine veteran and Chris Kyle’s brother.

Before he died, Kyle was involved in a project to help veterans work through post-traumatic stress through fitness. The Chris Kyle Gym is opening in the Texas Hill Country to serve the veterans Kyle was so passionate about helping.

Looking back, almost a year after Chris Kyle’s death, Jeff said Chris shouldn’t be remembered for how many people he killed as a sniper, but how many lives he protected doing his job.

“What bothered him the most is he didn’t know how many people he saved. That was the hardest part for him getting out,” Jeff Kyle said.

In honor of his brother’s death, this Sunday Jeff hopes people will simply do a good for someone who needs it.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

I didn't post anything about him. I did however post about a deadly heroin and arrests made because there are more deaths associated

Officials initially wondered if the heroin found at Hoffman’s apartment contained fentanyl, a potent synthetic morphine linked to 22 suspected overdose deaths in western Pennsylvania. 

Quoting EireLass: Because I can't believe all the brouhaha given to a lousy drug addict.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:08 PM
I guess you didn't read your own headline.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I didn't post anything about him. I did however post about a deadly heroin and arrests made because there are more deaths associated

Officials initially wondered if the heroin found at Hoffman’s apartment contained fentanyl, a potent synthetic morphine linked to 22 suspected overdose deaths in western Pennsylvania. 

Quoting EireLass: Because I can't believe all the brouhaha given to a lousy drug addict.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Yes actually I did

And? Have you seen me posting anything about this man? No

About the drug dealers that have facilitated in the deaths of more than 20 people? Yes

Quoting EireLass: I guess you didn't read your own headline.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Like most dealers they will get minimal time and get out early for good behavior. This isn't a drug problem it's a society problem. We need to treat addicts instead of wasting billions chasing dealers. The war on drugs is pointless but putting all that money into prevention and rehab would be HUGE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)