Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you notice that even today no one cares about child molestation?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM
  • 17 Replies
2 moms liked this

Just noted the "headline" in this forum about the Catholic Church and child molestation. We all know what happened there.

Then, of course, I've been reading and watching news shows about Dylan Farrow -- and watching person after person come on TV to defend Woody Allen and to point the negative finger at Mia and Dylan Farrow.

I was shocked last night to see the victim of Roman Polanski come on TV and say she has "forgiven" Polanski for raping her when she was 13, and urging Dylan to "get past this." It seemed she thought bringing all of this up was just stirring the pot. It was almost as if she was shrugging off getting raped at 13.

I wish all survivors of sexual assault and abuse would and could move on and live happy lives.

But I'm annoyed with the general message I see in our media today:  Forgive the sonofabitch who did it (do you really think he's done it to no one else? you were the only victim?); "Victim, MOVE ON;" and, especially "victim, just shut up."

The message victims of sexual abuse/assault get is that they WILL be humiliated and punished and called liars if they ever tell. What a horrible message that tells them to remain silent.  

I thought we were further along when it came to this subject. Kids don't stand a damn chance.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

The bottom line is that the MAN who did it was more important to everyone than the victim. So it must not be true, or it's been so long, you must forgive and forget. No one forgets.

by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM
People dont want their own boat rocked. Thats selfish of them. They'll stand behind the accussed.
by Gina on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I get tired of seeing 'well, the kid was obviously lying' explanation.

Sexual abuse is horrible and it is hard to deal with, but it happens and damages kids. It is even more damaging when people hold up the perpetrator of it as some sort of paragon (celebrity, priest, etc.) of behavior.

I find it sad that people are so ready to point fingers at victims and so eager to celebrate child rapists.

You're right, kids don't have a chance.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Yeah. I hate it. Hate hate hate. I need to get off CM for awhile. It's making me depressed.

by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM
There is a post curently on CM, where the woman is screaming for help, as someone has accussed her husband of molestation. And of course the husband is innocent.
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I care, and people like you care. We have to be the voices of the victims and ADVOCATE for them. 

by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I care enough to work at a child advocacy center.

1 in 4 boys and 1 in 3 girls will be sexually abused in their lifetime.

by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Im with you on this....I actually find actors and actress's that hail Woody Allen and Roman Polanski as some sort of artistic genius's blechy and it turns me off them....with stupid lines like "It is neither here nor there for me to comment on what has happened, I would like to say that I am super ecstatic that im in one of their movies"...gag vomit.

I wish the movie industry made more of an example of these men

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:41 PM

It is disgusting to say the least.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM

It isn't just child molestation that is treated this way, victims of child neglect and abuse are usually overlooked, or told they are lying. Hell, there is a story on the Stir now about a 3 year old who was murdered by her mom and her mom's boyfriend the very day after police did a welfare check on her. A big part of the problem is even child abusers that are not famous, usually do not get severe punishments unless they actually murder the child, and even then, a lot of them will plea bargain, or only get sentenced to lesser charges. We continually give abused children back to their abusive parents, we give abusers probation, Child molestors get released over and over even after repeated offenses, and people just bury their heads in the sand about it.

It's not just child abuse/molestation either. Domestic violence against women is typically brushed off. Look at Chris Brown. Even before Rhianna got back together with him for a bit, he still had MILLIONS of fans, and became even MORE famous. He keeps screwing up and getting slaps on the wrist.  Charlie Sheen is clearly an abusive man. He also is HUGELY famous and rich. Those are just 2 examples of abusive men who never really paid for their crimes.

Women are ojectified daily, TV and movies glorify young women and TEENS as sexy, adult women are usually hired to PLAY young teens which leads to more objectification of CHILDREN. "Oh that actress is really 25 so it's okay that I'm sexually attracted to her even though she is playing a 16 year old!" actresses that are minors are paid to kiss adult men on screen, Dakota Fanning was 16 when she did a lesbian  scene with an adult Kristen Stewart, (nothing worng with lesbians, just saying she was underage) teachers who abuse students are excused by judges, entire communities will back the abusive teacher. Girls who are raped in high school will be tortured by the entire community if a football player raped them.

Women and children are not valued in society. We are objects to be oggled and abused. If a woman is not pretty or thin, she has no worth in society, and it's okay to humiliate her, and use her. Children aren't important, what's important is Football! Movies! white business men with money! The newest IPhone!

People are self-absorbed, selfish, and don't care about others quite often. And the ones who do care, and who want to make changes to the system are usually drowned out by those that don't want to be inconvienenced by having to care about other people. Honestly, I am terrified for our country, and society as a whole.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)