Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fluff - Kentucky school sends snow day message set to Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

School officials in Kentucky opened their eyes, looked up to the sky and saw snow falling β€” so they wanted to spare their students from commuting through that monstrosity.

On Monday, parents of students at Stephens Elementary School in Burlington received a school cancellation phone call in the form of a "Bohemian Rhapsody" parody.

"This is the 9th or 10th cancellation or delay we've had this year. It got monotonous doing the same message over and over and over," Stephens Elementary School Principal James Detwiler told the Daily News.

Detwiler asked his assistant to record video of his Queen performance with drama teacher Chad Caddell. After sending the message to parents, he posted the video to Facebook so his family could see.

"I got all kinds of immediate feedback. 'You gotta put this on YouTube!'" Detwiler said on the phone to The News. "The next thing I know it was blowing up … and here you are calling me."

The video has been viewed more than 1 million times.

This was not the first time Detwiler recorded a creative message for parents. During a previous message, his daughter could be heard yelling 'No school!' in the background.

Detwiler decided to keep the unexpected celebration in the recording and parents got a kick out of it. For the next cancellation he sang "We will have no school tomorrow" to the tune of "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie."

Shortly afterward, Caddell approached him with some new lyrics about a canceled school day for the rock classic.

"Are you sure we can sing Queen? That's a hard song," Detwiler said. "We sat down and ran through it twice."

On Wednesday, they followed up with a parody of a song that has been accused of being a rip-off of Queen and David Bowe's "Under Pressure" β€” "Ice Ice Baby."

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rosesandlilys
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:37 PM

LOL this is brilliant

Patti-Gee
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Not a Queen fan, but cool way to announce a school closing.  

DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM

That school is local to us. I think it's a great idea!

UpSheRises
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM
That is freaking awesome.
nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM
God, why can't my principal be that awesome?
lga1965
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Excellent !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)