Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homeschooling: Why such strong opinions?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM
  • 418 Replies
4 moms liked this

I have noticed that whenever homeschooling is mentioned people have such a strong reaction - mostly negative.  I am not sure how people school their kids affects others so much to have such a reaction.

I admit...I would not homeschool.  I have a lot of reasons but they are my own.  I do not think others need to think the same.  When I first heard of homeschooling years ago, I thought it was odd. I thought kids were missing social interactions, are they geting the right education, etc.  I have learned over the years how it works and have met people who homeschool. I have changed my opinion dramatically but still it is not for me or my family.

It seems the other misconception is that it is all religious based reasons.  I have only met one family who homeschools for religious reasons.  Most of the families around me who homeschools is because they feel the public schools are overcrowded, etc.  

It just seems whenever someone mentions homeschooling people have such strong, strong reactions and i I am curious as to why?

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM
11 moms liked this
No clue. I do not care if someone homeschools or why they choose to do so. Each parent has to decide what is best for their own kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM
3 moms liked this

I am on my kindle fire, so I can't post the link to it.  But The Pioneer Woman has an article from 2010 or so on why she homeschools.  Transportation time, ranching life, family closeness are her reasons.  Nary a mention of religjon.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My SIL home schooled because she did not like getting up early and rushing breakfast.

My nephew asked to go to school in 7th grade.

Many, many reasons why people home school or not.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm sure there are some great homeschoolers out there and some moms here who homeschool seem very dedicated.

My friend homeschools and DH's cousin homeschooled. I don't think either did a service to their kids for a variety of reasons. In my friend's case, she homeschool because she believes she's the smartest person in the world and no one else can teach her kids as much as she can. Personally, I think she just can't separate from her kids. With DH's cousin, it was because she only wanted her kids to be exposed to things she and DH approved of. Example, her DD was forbidden to watch The Little Mermaid because Ariel disobeyed her father and they didn't want her think that was a good idea. I am not kidding.

The opposite is true here too...if you send your kids to public schools, you clearly don't love your kids or care about their education (according to some).

All options have their pros and cons and what fits one family won't fit another. And that's OK.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm not anti home schooling.  I know there are a variety of reasons for it.  I have seen some very badly educated home-schooled kids, as well as badly educated public and private school kids.  

I admit to having negative feelings about home schooling when parents are using it to lock their kids into their particular value systems.   That's because of my negative experiences growing up in a fundamentalist Christian household, thankfully before home schooling became extremely popular.  I was able to escape into my public school, and I needed that outlet.  I understand why people who feel culturally besieged may want to home school.  Everyone feels strongly about their values, but at some level it becomes too coercive towards the children.  

I think home schoolers should have to meet their state's educational standards, at the very minimum.  

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

There are a few places, if my husband's job were to move us? I would homeschool.  IE: Alabama.

Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM

It's not something I would do, but I also think it would a huge mistake for my sons.   I know a couple of women who homeschooled, for one the mistake is glaring. 

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Also, I don't have a problem with people homeschooling.  My children attend school, then in the summer we do home schooling activities. I don't think taking the summer "off" and vegging in front of the tv~ is good for the brain. And I do see A LOT of kids spend their summers this way...  We usually focus on areas of science, geography, math and foreign language during the summer.  

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM
5 moms liked this
I think it might have to do with public opinion being behind reality.

I'm only 24, but it seems like when I was younger, homeschoolers were the "weird" kids; they didn't know how to act around others, they didn't seem "all there", and were often not getting grade-level education; I was blown away once in middle school when I met a kid who was homeschooled and had no idea how to do math more complicated than add/subtract and multiply/divide.

Since then, it seems to me that homeschooling has not only become more popular, but more regulated. Homeschooled children have basketball teams, study groups, field trips, and more, and seem to have plenty of opportunity to develop social skills. Their teachers, whether it be their parents or a tutor, seem to now be required to develop a lesson plan (in some places) and maintain grade-level education. Frequently, I now cannot tell the difference between someone who was homeschooled or someone who went to a public school.

Again, I'm young and by no means an expert on homeschooling, but I think the knee-jerk reactions to homeschooling are residual from a time where homeschooling was more likely to be very lacking.
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Feb. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I wouldn't do it but I can see the appeal. Especially with all the violence in schools now.

My SIL homeschools her 3 kids. They're not religious. Just rual on a farm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)