Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kids skipping school.

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM
  • 57 Replies
2 moms liked this

My 14 year old daughter missed one day of school this past week.   She will be missing this upcoming Tuesday as well.

She has done so because I have allowed her to stay home.

Her best friend is leaving us Tuesday.  She is moving to Germany.

These two girls have been exceptionally close over the past four years.  This friend is not just a friend but truly part of our family.  They are blessed to have found each other and this upcoming move is devastating to them, and others.

I am not the mom who lets the kids skip school on a whim.  But I suppose I am now.  I had no issue with M staying home and spending the day with S, here in our home.  

Nor do I have an issue with M missing Tuesday (about 12 kids in all will be missing school) to send her very best friend off with a smile, a tear and a wave until they see each other again.  I took the day off as a vacation day, requested over three weeks ago.

It seems, however, that I should be reprimanded, some how, for allowing this to happen.  At least according to the mom of another friend of M's.  I am not taking her education seriously nor should I expect the school to accept these absences.

So let me have it.  Tell me what a horrible mother I have become.  Some one should probably call my ex husband and tell him so he can use that against me! 

I am a hypocrite and I know it.  Honestly, right now, I really do not care.

by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:34 PM
3 moms liked this

It sounds like you know what is important to me.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I take my oldest and her best friend to the zoo every spring.  They ditch school and I take them. I have no good reason. We have a blast.  I take my youngest and her best friend every spring to a bounce place or park.  Again...just a blast.

I have no problem with it at all.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this

You're ok.  I skipped school all the time; without my parents' permission.  My husband is kind of that way though.  He has a cow if I give the kids a mental health day lol

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, it's fine. She's 14! I've let my kids miss for various reasons. Neither I or they make a habit of it, and sometimes they need a mental health day. Ok by me. I think if they abused it, or skipped school without you knowing or no reason, then it would be a problem. :)

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

For very special circumstances, particularly with a kid who otherwise rarely misses school and isn't struggling, I don't see a problem with it.

poietes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you, I see no problem with it. We head south every winter to my inlaws "winter house" and my boys miss a few days of school. They have work they have to do and we skype his class and give them a sort of presentation on the on the plants and the area. If they were doing poorly in school we probably wouldn't go but as long as it doesn't effect their grades then I don't see a problem with it at all.

I am sorry your daughter is losing her best friend but skype and FaceTime have made keeping in touch very easy so hopefully it won't be to hard on her.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM
5 moms liked this

meh...Ms other friends mother is a dick.

A 14yo missing a couple of days is no biggie....even a 17-18 yo in the last year of high school, is no biggie.

school is NOT the be all and end all of ones existance....loving , caring and making bonds is more important IMO

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Quoting poietes: Good for you, I see no problem with it. We head south every winter to my inlaws "winter house" and my boys miss a few days of school. They have work they have to do and we skype his class and give them a sort of presentation on the on the plants and the area. If they were doing poorly in school we probably wouldn't go but as long as it doesn't effect their grades then I don't see a problem with it at all.

I am sorry your daughter is losing her best friend but skype and FaceTime have made keeping in touch very easy so hopefully it won't be to hard on her.

Thank you.  This past week has been hard on my daughter, her friend and all of the others in the close group of friends.  

This kiddo is so special to us, to me.  We have a very close and special bond and honestly, we are all hurting and can't imagine our every day life without her here.

They already have Skype set up.  

My daughter is spending the night with her friend tonight and they will head to school together.  It is S's last day.  She is truly having a hard time with this.  

I would have allowed M to skip school tomorrow as well if S wasn't going.  Their friendship, right now, is more important than any thing going on in any given class.  At least for a few days.

Sister_Someone
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I see no problem with that. It sounds to me like you know what's important in life. She won't miss that day of school that she skipped in five years. She will forever remember the day she got to spend with her best friend before the friend moves away. Of all the amazing and beautiful days I've spent with my best friend, the one that I cherish the most is our last day before we both moved away for college.

I took my kid out of school for a week and a half to take him to Portugal with me. I had to go for work, but there was no reason I couldn't have left him home with someone else. I just wanted to take him with me and have a blast while experiencing a foreign culture together. No judgment from me.

hannahsmom0107
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

wow.. it's only your business, no one elses. it's for a REALLY great reason...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)