Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think parents should be held responsible for their teens’ wild parties?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM
  • 43 Replies

Parents Should Be Held Accountable for Their Teens' Out-of-Control Parties

by Jenny Erikson

It’s a tale as old as teenagers left unsupervised -- when mom and dad are away, it’s time to play. For a lot of teens, that means experimenting with alcohol, drugs, sex, and basically all the naughty things that they’re not supposed to do. I’m going to channel my own mother here and say nothing good happens when you mix raucous, unsupervised teens and alcohol.

That’s why lawmakers in Australia are debating legislation that would hold party organizers and/or parents responsible for wild teen parties that get completely out of hand. Apparently it’s become such a problem there with broken glass in the streets, and partiers fighting, throwing things at others, and damaging property that the penalties for such shenanigans could be fines up to $18,150 and three years in prison.

Well that might get people on board to quell out-of-control parties.

Some critics have expressed concern over what happens if their parties get hijacked, but Police Minister Jack Dempsey says that there are provisions to take into account “reasonable attempts” to keep parties safe and under control. In other words, if a bunch of thugs show up and force their way in, you might want to call the cops right away, rather than passing them some cheap keg beer and a bong.

More from The Stir: Teens Host Wild Party in Mansion That Belongs to Someone Else -- Lock Them Up!

I think this is absolutely responsible. It seems like so many people have no idea what it means to be held accountable these days, and there’s such a lack of respect for other people and their property. I’m glad that someone is telling parents that they’re not off the hook for their teens’ bad behavior.

Every case is different, and I hope that common sense prevails when law enforcement gets involved in these cases, but parents that willfully ignore or even permit or enable out-of-control parties should be held responsible. After all, someone has to teach these kids about personal responsibility, and that actions have consequences.

Do you think parents should be held responsible for their teens’ wild parties?

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buttersworth
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Well we don't live in Australia so why should I be concerned?

As for the mischeif which you'd described, in our country that is considered vandalism and I would think the perpetrators of such destruction, if caught, would suffer legal consequence according to the law.

If children are old enough to be left home alone, then they are old enough to know not to destroy other people's property.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes- I think that parents of minors should be responsible for thier teen's behaviors. (Of course that wouldn't exclude holding the kids responsible as well)

We had a school choir party here. Lots of chaperones. It was a Christmas present exchange, about 50 kids. One girl came drunk and apparently she drove to our house as well. I honestly didn't catch it in her behavior, but a few kids came and told me. I pulled her aside and sure enough she admitted it, had her call her mom, and in the mean time called our neighbor who was a sherrif. She was out in short order, and a good example for everyone else. I heard later this is not unusual for her. Next time, I will have someone at the door checking bags and kids, and sadly she isn't welcome here- it doesn't matter to me if she has a problem. (Call me heartless.)

While this one was supervised I still feel responsible because it was at my house. Also, I would hold her mother responsible as well.

This wasn't even a wild teen party. Parents simply need to supervise, know where their kids are, what they are doing, and who their friends are. I have 4 teens, and they don't act that way, at all. I also know their friends- and their friends parents, where they are at any given time. We are on the same page with the parents as well. If our kids go out of our set parameters, they lose priveledges, but we really haven't had to do that.

Then- some will give the argument that their frontal lobe isn't developed yet- really? Then someone really does need to be responsible if the kids aren't...

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

If your child is throwing parties like that then obviously they're not mature enough to be left at home.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes I think parents should be liable to an extent.  There were no parties here but a lot of kids spent a lot of timme here shooting pool etc.  I routinely shot a game with them and hung out to supervise even the smaller groups.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

In a lot of jurisdictions, parents are on the hook for any damage or crimes their teens do. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes parents should be held responsible, it is our duties as parents to teach right from wrong, and this is obviously wrong.

waldorfmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely they should!

But more than that, parents who fail to prevent their child from having a wild party - or even going to one - are being irresponsible!

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually think it's good. I would hope my children fear me far too much to do something so stupid. If they don't and do something stupid they'll certainly have the fear put in them afterward!

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

The parents AND teens need to be held responsible for rambuctious parties that destroy property and disturb the neighbors.  

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting buttersworth:

Well we don't live in Australia so why should I be concerned?

Because it is an interesting issue.

Because America is not the only country in the world.

Because we're humans, not ostriches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)