Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Redskins respond to senators' name change demands

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM
  • 37 Replies

Redskins respond to senators' name change demands

The Washington Redskins can't seem to find a coach and can't figure out how to win consistently. But give them this: They are not intimidated by politicians trying to turn them into the cultural crusade du jour. U.S. Senators Maria Cantwell and Tom Cole - a Democrat and a Republican, respectively - recently sent the Redskins a letter demanding that they change their name, calling it and insult and a slur. The Redskins were, uh, not impressed:

"Senator Cantwell should be aware that there are many challenges facing Native Americans, including an extremely cold winter with high energy bills, high unemployment, life threatening health problems, inadequate education and many other issues more pressing than the name of a football team which has received strong support from Native Americans," the statement said. "Surely, with all the issues Congress is supposed to work on such as the economy, jobs, war and health care, the Senator must have more important things to do," the statement said.

Boom.

Not only is the crusade against the Redskins not relevant to the real-life needs of Native Americans, but I don't even think the posturing here is designed to appeal to Native Americans per se. It's designed to create headlines that a) appeal to left-wing activists in general; and b) position the crusading politicians as righteous advocates of forward thinking without requiring them to really do anything of substance.

The easiest political refuge for a liberal politician is the purported battle against offense. It's the easiest thing in the world for a politician to declare that a certain thing offends a certain group. It doesn't even have to be true. Aside from the usual suspects who complain about everything, there is no evidence that the Native American community by and large is up in arms about the Redskins' name. But as long as it can plausibly sound true, a left-wing politician can still preen as a defender of sensitivity.

If the media join in - and they always do - the pressure can become unbearable for those who serve as the target. So give the Redskins credit for not being intimidated, and more than that, calling Cantwell out for not doing her actual job. ObamaCare is wreaking havoc on the country. The economy is not growing as it should. Job creation is much slower than it should be. War? Do we even know what's happening in Afghanistan anymore? Does Cantwell?

Because those things are her job, not sending pointless demands to football teams. Good on the Redskins for not sitting there and taking it.

There are people w common sense left in the world....whew!

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with everything the team said (apart from "strong support from Native Americans" - the reactions are mixed, at best). 

Doesn't change anything. They should still change the name, it's a disgusting slur. 

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:06 PM

The owner will never change the name he has been very adimit about that. I do agree with this though they have bigger things to deal with right now then this. 

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Also, fyi: Both Cantwell and Cole are from states with high numbers of native populations (Oklahamo is ranked 2 and Washington is 5). Why wouldn't they be concerned about things that concern a significant population in their districts? 

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Enough already with the 'hypocritical' PC stuff.  Cantwell and Cole need to worry about a president changing laws instead of sticking their noses into something that is none of their business.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This PC stuff is getting ridiculous and way out of hand. That's been the team name for over 40 years and now suddenly it's offensive?  It seems there are those who just look for something they can claim offends them, it's almost like being offended is the trendy thing to be.

Prior to the team being the Washington Redskins, they were the Boston Redskins and before that, they were the Boston Braves (which would most likely also be found offensive by some these days)

As Congress critters, I'd think they have far more pressing, immediate and important things to deal with than the name of a football team.  Sad that they chose to make it into an issue and then they sit back and wonder why the country seems so divided. Perhaps they should stop stirring the pot, creating issues and just do the jobs they were elected to do.

angelenia
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this
It is not suddenly offensive. It has always been offensive. I agree with a pp. It is a disgusting slur:(

Quoting meriana:

This PC stuff is getting ridiculous and way out of hand. That's been the team name for over 40 years and now suddenly it's offensive?  It seems there are those who just look for something they can claim offends them, it's almost like being offended is the trendy thing to be.

Prior to the team being the Washington Redskins, they were the Boston Redskins and before that, they were the Boston Braves (which would most likely also be found offensive by some these days)

As Congress critters, I'd think they have far more pressing, immediate and important things to deal with than the name of a football team.  Sad that they chose to make it into an issue and then they sit back and wonder why the country seems so divided. Perhaps they should stop stirring the pot, creating issues and just do the jobs they were elected to do.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM
6 moms liked this
I agree. Are there more pressing needs in the Native American community? Of course. Does that make the team name less racist? No.

One of the small suburbs just outside my hometown had a high school mascot as the ch*nks until the mid-80s. The mascot was a small Asian man with a rice party hat and a black braid. There would be no question today that it is racist and no one would stand for it. But, when the mascot was brought up for change there were people angry about it. There are still people angry about it. Were there more pressing issues facing Chinese immigrants? Sure. Did it make the mascot less racist? Nope.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I agree with everything the team said (apart from "strong support from Native Americans" - the reactions are mixed, at best). 

Doesn't change anything. They should still change the name, it's a disgusting slur. 

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not suddenly. It's a racial slur and always has been. 

And yes, history: George Preston Marshall, owner and president of the team back in the day, was a well-known and vocal racist. 

Yes, there are more important things to worry about. There always will be. That doesn't mean that people can only do one sinlge thing at a time - calling for a name change doesn't necessarily mean that other issues must be ignored (though most federal level politicians have no love lost from me, I guarantee). 

Additionally, Cantwell and Cole are from Washington and Oklahoma, both states with large native populations. It's very likely their constituents made it an issue. 

Quoting meriana:

blueforewolf
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Native Americans have initially started this campaign and there is evidence that children are harmed psychologically by this kind of racial slur, and using their people as mascots - it is a disgusting slur and they should just "man" up and change the name - It's like having a team called the N-----s - not only that but they have those jerkoffs in their costumes disrespecting the culture - I wonder how whites would feel about a team called the peckerwoods.

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I would giggle.

Quoting blueforewolf:

Native Americans have initially started this campaign and there is evidence that children are harmed psychologically by this kind of racial slur, and using their people as mascots - it is a disgusting slur and they should just "man" up and change the name - It's like having a team called the N-----s - not only that but they have those jerkoffs in their costumes disrespecting the culture - I wonder how whites would feel about a team called the peckerwoods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)