Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WSJ columnist compares campus sexual assault to drunk driving

Posted by   + Show Post

WSJ columnist compares campus sexual assault to drunk driving

Wall Street Journal columnist James Taranto has come under fire for a column he wrote in which he argues there's a double standard when it comes to sexual assault on college campuses.

In the column, published on Monday, Taranto comes to the defense of men accused of sexual assault in cases involving alcohol, asserting drunk female victims deserve as much of the blame as their inebriated assailants.

"If two drunk drivers are in a collision, one doesn't determine fault on the basis of demographic details such as each driver's sex," Taranto writes. "But when two drunken college students 'collide,' the male one is almost always presumed to be at fault."

He also points to a quote from a recent New York Times article from Sgt. Richard Cournoyer, a Connecticut state trooper in charge of investigating recent assault allegations at the University of Connecticut.

"These aren't people jumping out of the bushes," Cournoyer told the Times. "For the most part, they're boys who had too much to drink and have done something stupid. When we show up to question them, you can see the terror in their eyes."

In Taranto's eyes, the victims are often just as stupid. "Both of them were taking foolish risks," he writes, "and it seems likely that he as well as she had impaired judgment owing to excessive drinking."

Not surprisingly, Taranto's column has sparked considerable outrage.

"This is textbook victim-blaming," Jessica Wakeman writes on TheFrisky.com:

"Sexual assault doesn't only happen because victims are drunk. Sexual assault happens because rapists exploit their victim's diminished faculties. Sexual assault happens because it's easier to physically overpower someone who is very drunk; sexual assault happens because when someone is passed out, they can't say 'no.'"

"Taranto lives in a world in which women who are drunk to the point of near-unconsciousness should be presumed to be granting willing consent to whatever behaviors men engage in," Phillip Bump writes on The Atlantic Wire.

"Rape isn't a mistake that college students accidentally make because they're too drunk," Tara Culp-Ressler writes on ThinkProgress.com. "In fact, research into college rapists reveals that sexual assault is premeditated and victims are carefully chosen. Alcohol is a tool that rapists often use, but it's simply one tool among many."

Dear James Taranto, rape is not exactly "two drunk college kids colliding." Educate yourself, sir. http://t.co/x5E3gMBMPP

- Jennifer Zobair (@jazobair) February 11, 2014

A Change.org petition calling for the newspaper to fire Taranto - launched on Monday by the nonprofit rape survivor group SurvJustice - has already gathered more than 1,400 signatures.

"Supporting rape and rapists is not journalism!" the petition reads. "The Wall Street Journal is giving a platform to a rape apologist. James Taranto is supporting men who are perpetrating sexual violence against intimate partners and intoxicated individuals."

According to a report by the White House Council on Women and Girls released on Jan. 21, one in five U.S. women were victims of sexual assault in college. And according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, one out of every six women will have been a victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.

Taranto has something of a history of controversial columns. His latest comes less than a month after President Barack Obama announced the formation of a task force to combat sexual assault on college campuses following the administration's successful crackdown on the rapes that occur in the military - something that Taranto previously argued was "an effort to criminalize male sexuality" and a "war on men."

That column, published in June 2013, was greeted with a similar backlash.

The Wall Street Journal did not return a request for comment. Taranto did not return an email or Twitter message seeking comment.

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
masonmomma
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Seriously. That means the actual sexual act? Ugh no. It's pretty common for kids at a party to sit there all over each other then excuse themselves to a private area. Sure as shit doesn't mean it's recorded. You avoided my questions by pulling this random notion that it would be recorded??

Quoting SuperChicken:

You did say it in your example - see red below. 

No, I don't think all sexual interactions are recorded somehow.  Tongue in cheek means joking.  

Quoting masonmomma: I did not say that.

So you really think all sexual interactions are recorded somehow?

Quoting SuperChicken:

It's a bit tongue in cheek.  But really if you're saying there are other at the party who saw - you know someone pulled out their Iphone.   Is there ANYTHING that isn't recorded nowadays?

Quoting masonmomma: Your kidding right. Someone will always have recorded the sexual act. Lol

Quoting SuperChicken:

You look at the video - someone will have recorded it. 

There are times when you can't tell IF both parties can truly not remember.   

That's why I said up above that I have concerns about my son when he reachs college.  

Quoting masonmomma: Two people wake up. Neither remember the previous night. Someone tells girl she had sex with so and so. She cries rape but doesn't remember exactly what happened. Guy doesn't remember what happened either. Others at the party claim they were all over each other. Who raped who?

Quoting SuperChicken:

How to tell if you were the rapist or the victim:   If you're the one making the moves, you're probably the rapist.   If your hands are on the other person, willingly, then you're the rapist.  If your mouth is on the other person, then you're the rapist.  If your genitals are touching the other person willingly, then you're the rapist.  If you're being touched sexually by someone else's hands, mouth, genitals, unwillingly or while you're too inebriated to communicate if you're willing then you're the victim.   

If in doubt - keep yourself to yourself.  

Quoting masonmomma: Not trying to start a debate just wanted to pose a question. All are obviously welcomed to answer of course.

So if both parties are so dunk they don't know what's going on how do we know who is raping who?

Quoting mikiemom:

Umm because the man is the one raping the woman. WTF - this is another example of our disgusting Rape culture.

this man can not be trusted to be alone with women period.

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Sorry.   I assumed the witnesses must have seen something that was pertinent to whether a rape had occurred.   If they didn't, then why mention them?  Being all over someone doesn't mean you're agreeing to have sex, you know?   Saying someone was all over another person at one point in time has no bearing on if they were raped by that person at a later point in time.  So basically, there were no witnesses at all so you're right it's unlikely an imaginary witness recorded the alleged rape. 

Which question didn't I answer?  I thought I had answered your question.  

Quoting masonmomma: Seriously. That means the actual sexual act? Ugh no. It's pretty common for kids at a party to sit there all over each other then excuse themselves to a private area. Sure as shit doesn't mean it's recorded. You avoided my questions by pulling this random notion that it would be recorded??

Quoting SuperChicken:

No, I don't think all sexual interactions are recorded somehow.  Tongue in cheek means joking.  

Quoting SuperChicken:

It's a bit tongue in cheek.  But really if you're saying there are other at the party who saw - you know someone pulled out their Iphone.   Is there ANYTHING that isn't recorded nowadays?

Quoting masonmomma: Your kidding right. Someone will always have recorded the sexual act. Lol

Quoting SuperChicken:

That's why I said up above that I have concerns about my son when he reachs college.  

Quoting masonmomma: Two people wake up. Neither remember the previous night. Someone tells girl she had sex with so and so. She cries rape but doesn't remember exactly what happened. Guy doesn't remember what happened either. Others at the party claim they were all over each other. Who raped who?

Quoting SuperChicken:

How to tell if you were the rapist or the victim:   If you're the one making the moves, you're probably the rapist.   If your hands are on the other person, willingly, then you're the rapist.  If your mouth is on the other person, then you're the rapist.  If your genitals are touching the other person willingly, then you're the rapist.  If you're being touched sexually by someone else's hands, mouth, genitals, unwillingly or while you're too inebriated to communicate if you're willing then you're the victim.   

Quoting masonmomma: Not trying to start a debate just wanted to pose a question. All are obviously welcomed to answer of course.

So if both parties are so dunk they don't know what's going on how do we know who is raping who?

Quoting mikiemom:

Umm because the man is the one raping the woman. WTF - this is another example of our disgusting Rape culture.

masonmomma
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:46 PM
That also doesn't confirm that one did rape the other. In that same situation, it's usually the man being blamed. How do you know it want the woman? How do you know there wasn't consent? Why are the women so inebriated that they can't consent but the man can't be so inebriated that he doesn't realize what's going on? Point being, the system is flawed due to these exact situations.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Sorry.   I assumed the witnesses must have seen something that was pertinent to whether a rape had occurred.   If they didn't, then why mention them?  Being all over someone doesn't mean you're agreeing to have sex, you know?   Saying someone was all over another person at one point in time has no bearing on if they were raped by that person at a later point in time.  So basically, there were no witnesses at all so you're right it's unlikely an imaginary witness recorded the alleged rape. 

Quoting masonmomma: Seriously. That means the actual sexual act? Ugh no. It's pretty common for kids at a party to sit there all over each other then excuse themselves to a private area. Sure as shit doesn't mean it's recorded. You avoided my questions by pulling this random notion that it would be recorded??

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting mikiemom:

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM

yes.  I said that in my response to your hypotheical scenario.  

I'll repeat:

Quoting masonmomma: That also doesn't confirm that one did rape the other. In that same situation, it's usually the man being blamed. How do you know it want the woman? How do you know there wasn't consent? Why are the women so inebriated that they can't consent but the man can't be so inebriated that he doesn't realize what's going on? Point being, the system is flawed due to these exact situations.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting mikiemom:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
If a woman is so drunk she can't give consent, having sex with her is illegal

If a man is so drunk he can't consent and a woman has sex with him, that is illegal

There is no consent if you are proved to be so drunk you cannot give it

Keep making far out hypotheticals to protect rapists though

Quoting masonmomma: That also doesn't confirm that one did rape the other. In that same situation, it's usually the man being blamed. How do you know it want the woman? How do you know there wasn't consent? Why are the women so inebriated that they can't consent but the man can't be so inebriated that he doesn't realize what's going on? Point being, the system is flawed due to these exact situations.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting mikiemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masonmomma
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Quoting sweet-a-kins: If a woman is so drunk she can't give consent, having sex with her is illegal

If a man is so drunk he can't consent and a woman has sex with him, that is illegal

So then who goes to jail if they have sex each other? Who calls the cops first over encounter regret?

Btw, the hypotheticals do happen. Why do you think people question it. Just pulled it out of our asses?

Quoting sweet-a-kins: If a woman is so drunk she can't give consent, having sex with her is illegal

There is no consent if you are proved to be so drunk you cannot give it

Keep making far out hypotheticals to protect rapists though

Quoting SuperChicken: Sorry.   I assumed the witnesses must have seen something that was pertinent to whether a rape had occurred.   If they didn't, then why mention them?  Being all over someone doesn't mean you're agreeing to have sex, you know?   Saying someone was all over another person at one point in time has no bearing on if they were raped by that person at a later point in time.  So basically, there were no witnesses at all so you're right it's unlikely an imaginary witness recorded the alleged rape. Which question didn't I answer?  I thought I had answered your question.  Quoting masonmomma: Seriously. That means the actual sexual act? Ugh no. It's pretty common for kids at a party to sit there all over each other then excuse themselves to a private area. Sure as shit doesn't mean it's recorded. You avoided my questions by pulling this random notion that it would be recorded??

Quoting SuperChicken: You did say it in your example - see red below. No, I don't think all sexual interactions are recorded somehow.  Tongue in cheek means joking.  Quoting masonmomma: I did not say that.

Quoting SuperChicken: It's a bit tongue in cheek.  But really if you're saying there are other at the party who saw - you know someone pulled out their Iphone.   Is there ANYTHING that isn't recorded nowadays?Quoting masonmomma: Your kidding right. Someone will always have recorded the sexual act. Lol

Quoting SuperChicken: You look at the video - someone will have recorded it. There are times when you can't tell IF both parties can truly not remember.   That's why I said up above that I have concerns about my son when he reachs college.  Quoting masonmomma: Two people wake up. Neither remember the previous night. Someone tells girl she had sex with so and so. She cries rape but doesn't remember exactly what happened. Guy doesn't remember what happened either. Others at the party claim they were all over each other. Who raped who?

Quoting SuperChicken: How to tell if you were the rapist or the victim:   If you're the one making the moves, you're probably the rapist.   If your hands are on the other person, willingly, then you're the rapist.  If your mouth is on the other person, then you're the rapist.  If your genitals are touching the other person willingly, then you're the rapist.  If you're being touched sexually by someone else's hands, mouth, genitals, unwillingly or while you're too inebriated to communicate if you're willing then you're the victim.   If in doubt - keep yourself to yourself.  Quoting masonmomma: Not trying to start a debate just wanted to pose a question. All are obviously welcomed to answer of course.

Quoting mikiemom: Umm because the man is the one raping the woman. WTF - this is another example of our disgusting Rape culture.
cali_gurl
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Sorry but I have to agree with a lot of this. If a guy and a girl are both drunk and can't remember what happened, why does the girl get to say rape and the guy is charged? I have heard of boys getting kicked out of college for having sex while drunk. Both parties were drunk but the boy gets in trouble for "taking advantage" of the girl. Sorry, but double standard. It gets to a point where girls have to take responsibility for their choices too. Let's not be victims.

cali_gurl
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Totally agree.

Quoting UpSheRises:

There is no excuse for rape. There is also no excuse for being so wasted you can't make safe, healthy decisions regarding yourself or your interactions with others.

supermonstermom
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree.

Quoting cali_gurl:

Sorry but I have to agree with a lot of this. If a guy and a girl are both drunk and can't remember what happened, why does the girl get to say rape and the guy is charged? I have heard of boys getting kicked out of college for having sex while drunk. Both parties were drunk but the boy gets in trouble for "taking advantage" of the girl. Sorry, but double standard. It gets to a point where girls have to take responsibility for their choices too. Let's not be victims.

leksismommy
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Exactly

Quoting mikiemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN