Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Most kids starting school knowing how to work a smartphone but can't tie their shoes.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Jes
  • 49 Replies
Kids around the world may be separated by land and sea, but many seem to have one thing in common: They know a lot about technology.

AVG, a computer security software company, surveyed 6,017 parents from the U.K., U.S., France, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, Australia, Brazil, Canada and New Zealand to see just how digitally connected kids are. They found that children as young as 2 years old are becoming online natives faster than ever, possibly before they hit basic developmental milestones.

According to the parents polled, a whopping 89 percent of their 6-to-9-year-olds are active online. Internationally, 46 percent of kids spend more time in a virtual world like Webkinz or Club Penguin than any other online activity. Additionally, 65 percent of kids spend more than two hours online each week -- the U.S having the highest percentage of kids, 12 percent, spending more than ten hours per week online.

- 66 percent of kids ages 3-to-5 can play a computer game, but only 58 percent are able to ride a bike.

- 38 percent in that age range can write their full names and 14 percent can tie their shoes (a skill that's usually mastered by age 6), compared to 57 percent who know how to operate a tablet.

- 47 percent of little kids are able to operate a smartphone while parents reported only 26 percent know how to make their own breakfast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Full article here:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4724886
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

My son knew how to demo a deck using a crow bar and a hammer before he learned how to tie his shoes.

He could use a tablet, smartphone, computer and microwave before he learned how to tie his shoes. He could ice skate, ride a bicycle and use a tractor before he could tie his shoes.

BECAUSE he didn't want to tie his shoes.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Writing and tying shoes require fine motor skills, playing a computer games doesn't. I get the point the author is trying to make but that's a bad example.

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Vans = don't have to tie!

AJsMom81507
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

velcro shoes is what did it

furbabymum
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I'm totally anti technology. My kid barely ever gets to use my phone and when he does it's to watch videos I had taken of him. I've let him use it when we are waiting somewhere and it really isn't often. He has still figured it out. They are built to be incredibly intuitive.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
If the majority of available children's shoes had laces more kids would start school knowing how to tie their shoes.
mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

My 8 year old learned to tie her shoes before learning how to operate our phones, gaming systems, etc...my 5 year old on the other hand...she has been very difficult to teach how to tie shoes. One reason is I can't find laced shoes for her...only velcroed. It annoys the crap out of me. She is tiny so she still wears a size 9 toddler shoe and none of those are laced. The kid can operate our smartphones, Dh's tablet, and gaming systems though. She is a mad gamer. She beat a DS game this morning! It takes me forever to beat games, but this kid is a master. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans: If the majority of available children's shoes had laces more kids would start school knowing how to tie their shoes.

AMEN!!! I just posted that I can't find laced shoes for my youngest that is 5. She wears a 9 in toddler shoes and they are all velcroed. It is such a pain in the behind.. Back when I was a kid ( a million years ago), all we had were laced shoes so we didn't get a choice in learning early..now, the kids don't have to learn since they are slip ons or velcroed 98% of the time. Even my 8 year old..she has a pair of knee high sneakers that have laces,but they actually zip on the side!

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

MotherOfPurpose
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I think the premise of this article is wrong bc they are comparing apples and oranges really.

Things like tying shoes require fine motor skills that typically a normal child under 5 wouldn't be developed enough to attempt and the availability of velco shoes is more of an issue than kids being addicted to gadgets. Also to me swiping a table or moving a mouse is more of a gross motor skill thing which developes earlier.

And they need to specify what is involved with making ones own breakfast ie. my 5.5 year old can make a simple sandwich or a bowl of cereal as long as the carton of milk isn't too heavy but is she using the stove to scramble eggs I don't think so, we are just now teaching her how to use the microwave and toaster that she can read pretty well and understands the concept of time(kind of important when setting the cook time on a microwave). 

The same with "riding a bike" is this with or without training wheels? BC if my kids were still riding with training wheels I would inadvertly answer that question NO as would most ppl I know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN