Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Federal judge rules Kentucky's refusal to recognize "valid same-sex marriage" violates the US Constitution

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

Federal judge rules Kentucky's refusal to recognize "valid same-sex marriage" violates the US Constitution

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A federal judge has ruled that Kentucky must recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, striking down part of the state ban.

In 23-page a ruling issued Wednesday, U.S. District Judge John G. Heyburn II concluded that Kentucky's laws treat gay and lesbians differently in a "way that demeans them." The constitutional ban on same-sex marriage was approved by voters in 2004. The out-of-state clause was part of it.

The decision came in lawsuits brought by four gay and lesbian couples seeking to force the state to recognize their out-of-state marriages.

Heyburn did not rule on whether the state could be forced to perform same-sex marriages.

The question was not included in the lawsuit.

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Glad to hear this.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Damn, I was hoping Virginia would be the next state.  Yay for Kentucky.  What's the count now -- 19, 20?

lyranightshade
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I live in Kentucky and I didn't know this was even up. There's zero publicity! I fucking hate this state. I'm glad they have to recognize ALL marriages and wish they'd legalize all marriages between two consenting adults.
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM
4 moms liked this

Hope somebody shows Kansas Govenor Brownback this ROFL

Yep, State law does not trump Federal - sorry teabillies he he he he

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
SSM marriage just needs to be legal and recognized federally. It's not an issue that should be up for anyone to vote on.

But this is good. Baby steps in the right direction.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Damn, I was hoping Virginia would be the next state.  Yay for Kentucky.  What's the count now -- 19, 20?

As of now, they do not have to perform gay marriages if they choose not to at this point.

They DO have to recognize a gay couple as married if they married in a state where it WAS legal.

I am hoping PA will get on the damn boat....but we have a dumb ass governor

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I live in Ohio and work in KY. I hadn't heard this either. This shitty ass backward culture scares me sometimes. I can hear the rednecks now once they get wind of it. My part of Ohio is the same.

Quoting lyranightshade: I live in Kentucky and I didn't know this was even up. There's zero publicity! I fucking hate this state. I'm glad they have to recognize ALL marriages and wish they'd legalize all marriages between two consenting adults.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM
That's awesome! We're getting closer!
lyranightshade
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I live on the border, too. From Ashland. What about you?

Quoting Stephanie329: I live in Ohio and work in KY. I hadn't heard this either. This shitty ass backward culture scares me sometimes. I can hear the rednecks now once they get wind of it. My part of Ohio is the same.

Quoting lyranightshade: I live in Kentucky and I didn't know this was even up. There's zero publicity! I fucking hate this state. I'm glad they have to recognize ALL marriages and wish they'd legalize all marriages between two consenting adults.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Domino animated gif

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured