Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Turn The Gays Away' Bill

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 81 Replies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (FOX13) -

A new bill was recently introduced in the Tennessee State Legislature that, if passed, would allow people and businesses to refuse to provide goods and services to homosexuals. 

It was filed by State Sen. Brian Kelsey, who represents Memphis and Germantown.

DOWNLOAD: Read Tennessee Senate Bill 2566

The bill notes that businesses can refuse services and goods only if it furthers a civil union, domestic partnership, or same-sex marriage. The person or business would just have to say it was against their religion. For example, if a same-sex couple wanted a cake for their wedding reception, a bakery could refuse to cater to them.

Jonathan Cole of the Tennessee Equality Project says the bill is making discrimination legal.

"It's bad for business," Cole said. "It's bad for attracting talent that would be offered a job to come and work for a corporation here in Tennessee. When they see bills like this capturing the headlines, it really reflects poorly on the state."

The TEP is handing out stickers to businesses that say "Equality Means Business".

The bill was introduced in the House and Senate, but no votes have been taken yet.

Kelsey was unavailable for an interview with FOX13 News.

Read more: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/24698365/sen-kelsey-introduces-turn-the-gays-away-bill#ixzz2tD6xMzmr 
Follow us: @myfoxmemphis on Twitter | fox13news.myfoxmemphis on Facebook

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:04 AM
11 moms liked this

Once again, hate and bigotry hiding behind the Bible.   

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM
5 moms liked this
Dumbass. I'm throwing douche out there, too, just for the hell of it.
SuperChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:20 AM
10 moms liked this

"The bill notes that businesses can refuse services and goods only if it furthers a civil union, domestic partnership, or same-sex marriage. "

That's extra scary.   That could apply to pretty much anything that would be used in the home - furniture, FOOD, light bulbs, toilet paper, RENT.  Anything could be said to be furthering a "domestic partnership."   So they basically want to make sure that homosexuals to be driven out of town.  But, I'm sure they love them while hating their "sin."

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM
11 moms liked this

I have officially had it with this crap.  When you (collective) pull this shit you are not standing up for your Biblical belief system, you are being a douchecanoe.  And anyone who votes these yahoos into office is also a douchecanoe.  And this is why the Republican party is losing ground.  I don't even have to know who introduced the bill to know there is a big, fat, red R next to their name.

Even the Republicans I know who are hard line and very conservative would never dream of introducing or voting for a law that would allow discrimination.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Exactly.

Quoting SuperChicken:

"The bill notes that businesses can refuse services and goods only if it furthers a civil union, domestic partnership, or same-sex marriage. "

That's extra scary.   That could apply to pretty much anything that would be used in the home - furniture, FOOD, light bulbs, toilet paper, RENT.  Anything could be said to be furthering a "domestic partnership."   So they basically want to make sure that homosexuals to be driven out of town.  But, I'm sure they love them while hating their "sin."

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I hope the bill dies
LAHnTAH0812
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
That's terrible. That's not the teachings of Jesus. Hypocrites.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I think there should be a bill passed prohibiting all those people who keep making those homosexuals. It all starts with them after all. Go right for the deep pocket; right to the source! All those damn people who keep furthering LGBT in t te first place! Their parents need to be severely punished!

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It's attempts like this that are going to force the SCOTUS and Congress to take action forbidding such discrimination.  So I'm kind of torn.  Obviously, I can't support state-level hate legislation like this, but if it's so egregious that it prompts quicker action at the national level, there's a bit of a silver lining.  

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
That's what I was thinking too. Go ahead and pass it, then we can make it illegal to do so on a federal level.

Quoting momtoscott:

It's attempts like this that are going to force the SCOTUS and Congress to take action forbidding such discrimination.  So I'm kind of torn.  Obviously, I can't support state-level hate legislation like this, but if it's so egregious that it prompts quicker action at the national level, there's a bit of a silver lining.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)