Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you push?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM
  • 148 Replies
2 moms liked this

My husband is a grumpy old man who does not like technology. We more than likely need to buy new phones for both of us.  He wants a simple flip phone with a camera and I want him to get a droid.  Would you push him to try new things?  In the past cds, dvds and cell phones in general were things I pushed him to experience/use.  He is happy with his phone and discs today, he even has a portable dvd player he takes hunting.

He has conceded that he will uses a smart phone if he has to...  He doesnt necessarily have to but I want him to...

To push or not to push?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Don't push it sounds like my fil that man refuses new technology like the plague. He refuses to let my mil get rid of his typewriter. I fifer they will join us on their own time
tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM
14 moms liked this

Why does he have to get a smartphone because you want him to have one?  It is his phone.

My husband is in IT and has a regular flip phone.

Let him have what he wants.  It shouldn't be about what you think he needz.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him have what he's most comfortable with. My FIL used to buy my MIL a new car evey 2 years and it really upset her. She was not a confident driver and changing cars was hard on her. It was all his own vanity.

meriana
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If he wants a simple flip phone with a camera, let him have it. No point, really, on insisting he have a phone with functions he'll probably never use. Much better he has a phone he'll use.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I would take some of his interests and show him that there are apps to help him along in them.

For example if he likes hunting then I'm sure there are apps just for that type of activity! GPS apps and that sort of thing. 

My husband is 2 years younger than me and had an old flip phone for ages and he got a droid last year and LOVES it. 

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Well, number one is the camera and ease of access to photos that having a external memory card provides.  Several times he has come to me with pictures on his flip phone that once they are sent to my email a,d downloaded are not of the quality he desires them to be.

I would never force him to do anything, it wouldnt do anygood.  He is reluctant and wary of the technology but not unmoving about it.

Another thing is price and value.  I can get him a simple droid for the same cost as his flip, the camera is a bit better and it has external storage.  It is not a state of the art phone.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Why does he have to get a smartphone because you want him to have one?  It is his phone.

My husband is in IT and has a regular flip phone.

Let him have what he wants.  It shouldn't be about what you think he needz.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I would never insist but I can and have talked him into things he was reluctant about.  If he was giving me a loud no I wouldnt push at all.  No means no with my hubby lol  Hes like I dunno I dont need that...

Quoting meriana:

If he wants a simple flip phone with a camera, let him have it. No point, really, on insisting he have a phone with functions he'll probably never use. Much better he has a phone he'll use.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
5 moms liked this

I resisted my DH's push for the smart phones and he finally won. I think I was a better mother and wife with a dumb phone. :/

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting NWP:

I resisted my DH's push for the smart phones and he finally won. I think I was a better mother and wife with a dumb phone. :/

I totally laughed :D 

I am carrying a 10 yr old phone and Hate hate hate trying to text on it.  Just to reply I have to hit like 6 buttons before I can begin my message.  I can wait for a "smarter" phone. At least a text ready phone lol.

I bet I was a better wife  before the internet in general though :\

meriana
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

I would never insist but I can and have talked him into things he was reluctant about.  If he was giving me a loud no I wouldnt push at all.  No means no with my hubby lol  Hes like I dunno I dont need that...

Quoting meriana:

My Dh is pretty good with technology where most things are concerned, but when he needed a new phone, he wanted a flip phone, he just hates the phones with all the apps n stuff. We found him one that has a camera and larger keys with larger numbers on them which makes it much easier for him to dial a phone number. He's really happy with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)