Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 146 Replies
7 moms liked this

Why do people have to attack posters here? Are stands being taken so weak that they can't stand up to scrutiny? Crazy generalizations like "LIBERALS ARE" or "Christians are" are unproductive. I see so many conversations that could be real meetings of the mind turn into stupid squabbles by one person interjecting an off topic comment of a personal nature and then throwing the whole thing off. Makes it not fun to come in here sometimes.

Edited because autocorrect screwed a couple of things up

by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM
6 moms liked this

People attack because it maked them feel better or more convicted in their own beliefs.  

sometimes one can be posting their own opinions and beliefs and another will post back acusing the original poster of being rude, judgemental or (my favorite) INTOLERANT.N

Tolerance goes both ways.  I believe in GOD, marraige, and life.  I have been accused of all sorts of atrocities because of that.

If you are wican or pagan, fine.  but if you make a post contrary to my beliefs and I comment on them, (i.e. the bible is a fairy tale, or christians are all hypocrites) I know that opens me up to attacks.  I may answer one or two remarks, but usually leave it alone after that because it does not advance reasonable discourse.

I applaud your effort to bring peace, but it just won't happen.

God bless you, whether you believe in HIM or not

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Well put job seeker.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM
6 moms liked this

Lacking an intelligent response, it is the ultimate deflection meant to insult a large swath of people who do not share your POV.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I always call out the us vs them mentality here. It accomplishes nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM
9 moms liked this

You seem to be making two different points here. One, broad generalizations, and two, personal attacks. These are separate issues. 

Broad generalizations can (sometimes) hold some water - correlations do exist. They don't accomplish much, imo. I tend to dislike broad generalizations. Sure, trends matter, but a focus on the correlation tends to muddy up the waters.

Personal attacks are unnecessary. But the definition of "attack" will vary between people. Example: "you're are such a dumb bitch". That's an attack. Example: "Christianity causes bigoted opinions based on a 2,000 year old text written by powerful men" is not an attack. 

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM
it's frustrating when tryinb to keep the conversation on a plane above personal and people come in and seemingly, in a deliberate fashion, try to knock everthing off topic
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, some appear to think the sect of the "religious majority" in the US should be an untouchable topic of discussion- which sect/denomination is up for discussion.

How dare anyone say anything negative about that group. If you dare, beware of the personal nasty that will certainly befall you.

Quoting krysstizzle:

You seem to be making two different points here. One, broad generalizations, and two, personal attacks. These are separate issues. 

Broad generalizations can (sometimes) hold some water - correlations do exist. They don't accomplish much, imo. I tend to dislike broad generalizations. Sure, trends matter, but a focus on the correlation tends to muddy up the waters.

Personal attacks are unnecessary. But the definition of "attack" will vary between people. Example: "you're are such a dumb bitch". That's an attack. Example: "Christianity causes bigoted opinions based on a 2,000 year old text written by powerful men" is not an attack. 

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Are you referring to my post? 

If so:

Where, precisely, is it off topic? You brought up personal attacks and broad generalizations and I addressed both topics specifically.

Where, precisely, did I make it personal? 

If not: my apologies and carry on. 

Quoting snookyfritz: it's frustrating when tryinb to keep the conversation on a plane above personal and people come in and seemingly, in a deliberate fashion, try to knock everthing off topic

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this
How is it elevated discussion to call people brainwashed for voting a way you wouldn't?
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM
I didn't. you are misreoresenting my words. This is exactly what I am talking about.

Quoting tanyainmizzou: How is it elevated discussion to call people brainwashed for voting a way you wouldn't?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)