Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

George Zimmerman on Univision: I'm homeless, suffering from PTSD

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  • 108 Replies

George Zimmerman, the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who fatally shot Trayvon Martin, told Spanish-language television network Univision that he is homeless and suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

An English translation of the interview that will air Sunday was released to the media Saturday .

Zimmerman will speak on a special edition of "Aquí y Ahora" at 7 p.m.

Special correspondent Ilia Calderón spoke at length to Zimmerman, who shot the 17-year-old Miami Gardens youth in February 2012 in Zimmerman's gated community in Sanford.

In the interview, Zimmerman repeatedly declines to answer questions about the shooting, citing a still-pending federal civil-rights investigation.

However, he tells Calderón that his first reaction after firing the shot was concern that he had missed.

"I was afraid it had gone through his clothes and that it was going to go ... get lost, and, um, you know, go into a house and — because the young man was still talking to me, as I have said. So I thought that it hadn't … affected him, and I got worried, and I said, 'I hope that it hasn't — that the bullet hasn't hit a neighbor,'" Zimmerman says. "But I only knew that the attack stopped."

Zimmerman describes receiving death threats, which he attributes to the portrayal of the shooting in the media.

"You don't think it's because of the fact that you fired [a] gun?" Calderón asks.

"Correct. No, obviously not," replies Zimmerman, noting that other shootings get less media attention.

Later in the interview, Zimmerman tells Calderón that he was "100 percent" sure of his actions on the night of the shooting. Trayvon would have killed him if he hadn't opened fire, Zimmerman says.

"I know that for sure, yes," he tells Calderón.

Zimmerman says in the interview that he has canceled plans to participate in a celebrity boxing match. The plans for a fight, he says, "transformed into something that is not right."

Zimmerman goes on to say that he can't have a "normal life," wears a bulletproof vest when in public and doesn't have a permanent home. He says that his family helps him "a lot."

"I'm totally homeless," Zimmerman says. Later, Calderón asks how he has changed since the shooting: "I suffer from PTSD," Zimmerman replies.

Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder in Trayvon's death by a special prosecutor but was acquitted at trial last year. The case sparked international outrage and protests and renewed debate about Florida's "stand your ground" self-defense law, racial profiling and gun rights.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-univision-20140215,0,6856007.story

by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Feb. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM
15 moms liked this

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
12 moms liked this

Nope, can't come up with an ounce of anything other than disgust for this man.

He is breathing.  That is more than Trayvon is doing.

angelenia
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
5 moms liked this
He is certain Traayvon would have killed him, eh? With the deadly bag of skittles or the equally lethal bottle of iced tea? ( or was it sweet tea? I can't remember:/
donnag013
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Although I believe that he believed to be in danger when he shot Trayvon, he's still a dick and recent events have shown his true colors.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM
11 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Consequences for behaviors.

Too many people in GZ's life allowed GZ to get away with making poor decisions and behaviors without having any consequences. He's in the real world now.

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM
7 moms liked this

Zimmerman says in the interview that he has canceled plans to participate in a celebrity boxing match. The plans for a fight, he says, "transformed into something that is not right."

My guess: they wouldn't let him bring a gun into the match.  

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM
People wishing for his death and destruction now better be prepared for others to go down with him if he doesn't get help.
Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

This.  You said it nicer than I would have.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Nope, can't come up with an ounce of anything other than disgust for this man.

He is breathing.  That is more than Trayvon is doing.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tanyainmizzou: People wishing for his death and destruction now better be prepared for others to go down with him if he doesn't get help.

Honestly, I do not care what happens to this man. I don't wish him death and destruction, I just don't wish a damn thing for him.

There is help out there.  He needs to keep looking.  Someone will take him in and coddle him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured