Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

‘Boys will be boys’ Montana prosecutor tells 5-year-old rape victim’s mom: report

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 15 Replies

A Montana prosecutor reportedly had a heartless explanation for the mother a 5-year-old rape victim — “boys will be boys.”

The surprising anecdote is just one of the horror stories sex assault victims in Missoula told federal investigators, according to a new report.

The U.S. Department of Justice found Missoula County Attorney’s prosecutors routinely discriminated against female victims, refusing legitimate cases, pushing sex crimes to the lowest of priorities and belittling women who came to them for help.

“We uncovered evidence of a disturbing pattern of deficiencies in the handling of these cases by the County Attorney’s Office, a pattern that not only denies victims meaningful access to justice, but places the safety of all women in Missoula at risk,” said Jocelyn Samuels, acting assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.

Sex assault cases rarely make it to the Missoula County Courthouse, because they are a low priority to county prosecutors, the federal Department of Justice investigators found.

KTMF

Sex assault cases rarely make it to the Missoula County Courthouse, because they are a low priority to county prosecutors, the federal Department of Justice investigators found.

The department began an investigation in 2012 into the county attorney’s office, Missoula Police Department and the University of Montana’s Office of Public Safety.

Investigators interviewed more than 30 potential victims while reviewing policies and procedures for signs of gender bias and civil rights violations.

The mother of the 5-year-old said she wanted to know why the boy who raped her daughter was only getting a slap on the wrist. She was stunned when the prosecutor reportedly told her, “boys will be boys.”

Missoula County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg claims federal investigators are the problem, not his prosecutors.

KTMF

Missoula County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg claims federal investigators are the problem, not his prosecutors.

Another woman claimed a prosecutor recited Bible verses to her, and others said they felt “judged” when they were grilled about their sexual histories.

One said she “would never suggest” another woman go to prosecutors with a sexual assault case.

County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg angrily denied the allegations and said the real problem was the federal investigators.

Missoula County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg denies claims his prosecutors routinely discriminated against women in sexual assault cases.

KTMF

Missoula County Attorney Fred Van Valkenburg denies claims his prosecutors routinely discriminated against women in sexual assault cases.

“First and foremost, I think that this is one of the most unfair, unethical things that I have witnessed in 35 years of public life,” Van Valkenburg told the Missoulian newspaper.

Van Valkenburg has continued to fight the federal investigation even though the town and university cops resolved their investigations in May 2013.

He had filed a lawsuit three days before the federal report was released, arguing the agency didn’t have jurisdiction over his office.

He claims the report released Friday is retribution and said the feds have provided no evidence of the allegations.

“It’s impossible to believe these things are true,” Van Valkenburg told the Missoulian. “This is not how the Missoula County Attorney’s Office Conducts itself. These are half-truths, mistruths and maybe even outright lies.”

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this

If this moron is a DA and was elected, he needs to be booted...asap. 

"Boys will be boys" in regards to a 5 year old being raped? Are you freakin' kidding me? Oh no...Mama Bear would make quite the appearance and that attorney would NOT be happy when it was over...he would be bending over backwards for my family if it were one of my daughters...Dh and I would make sure of it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

LiveinJoy
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I can't find anything that tells me the age of the boy. IMO it matters. Not that "boys will be boys" but the severity of his punishment if he was to be convicted.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

This is typical in this country. Rape is an accepted form of abuse.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM

That is just one example of the shameful treatment of sexual assault in this jurisdiction so actually no it doesn't matter. Do you have anything to say about how they handle these cases?

Quoting LiveinJoy:

I can't find anything that tells me the age of the boy. IMO it matters. Not that "boys will be boys" but the severity of his punishment if he was to be convicted.

LiveinJoy
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

An 8 year old that rapes a girl should have consequences. I just don't think they should be the same kind of consequences delivered to a 13 year old that raped a girl of the same age. 

Just because I posed a question doesn't mean I'm not appalled by what this judge said.

The facts are important, too.

Quoting mikiemom:

That is just one example of the shameful treatment of sexual assault in this jurisdiction so actually no it doesn't matter. Do you have anything to say about how they handle these cases?

Quoting LiveinJoy:

lga1965
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Provincial, patriarchal idiots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiveinJoy
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Quoting lga1965: Provincial, patriarchal idiots.

I suspect if he was sodomized it would be a whole different ruling and opinion

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

UMMM wow just wow, way to overlook the rape culture in Montana and even make excuses for it. Maybe an 8 year old thought it was ok to rape a 5 year old in that jurisdiction because of the prevailing attitude towards Rape. This story is about more than that one case, it is about the way this judge treats Rape victims, his hatred for women even includes 5 year old little girls, I bet he even blames the little girl for what happened to her.

Quoting LiveinJoy:

An 8 year old that rapes a girl should have consequences. I just don't think they should be the same kind of consequences delivered to a 13 year old that raped a girl of the same age. 

Just because I posed a question doesn't mean I'm not appalled by what this judge said.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

The other story, in regards to the same, goes in to more detail.

I do not doubt, for a second, that this happens.  

LiveinJoy
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm certain that by your replies you have misunderstood my questions. I'll bet you will find fault with this reply as well. It appears to me that you're looking for adjectives in replies that show disdain and anger.

In the wise words of The Rolling Stones lyrics...'you can't always get what you want.'

Please feel free to continue in your outrage regarding my replies. I'm here to converse, not to convince you or anyone else here of anything.

Quoting mikiemom:

UMMM wow just wow, way to overlook the rape culture in Montana and even make excuses for it. Maybe an 8 year old thought it was ok to rape a 5 year old in that jurisdiction because of the prevailing attitude towards Rape. This story is about more than that one case, it is about the way this judge treats Rape victims, his hatred for women even includes 5 year old little girls, I bet he even blames the little girl for what happened to her.

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)