Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ten year sentence, could be out in five, and a young man is dead

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM
  • 89 Replies

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/02/06/teen-gets-10-years-for-fatal-punch/

And the puncher said it was a big "accident".

Not too many of these cases surprise me anymore, but this one has. Deplorable, absolutely deplorable.

Teen Gets 10 Years For Fatal Punch

Related Tags:

ST. CLOUD, Minn. (WCCO) – After 17 months of waiting, a family finally learned how much time the man who killed their son will be in prison.

A Stearns County judge sentenced 18-year-old Jesse Smithers to 10 years on Thursday. Smithers admitted to delivering the deadly punch in a St. Cloud alley almost a year and a half ago.

On Sept. 21, 2012, Colton Gleason was walking with friends when a car pulled up, and Smithers got out and punched him. Colton died after falling and hitting his head.

His father, John Gleason, says the pain, bitterness and hurt his family feels did not go away with the sentencing of the man responsible for his son’s death.

“We’ve been given a life sentence by this cowardice attack and murder of our son,” John said. “He’ll serve very few short years and he’ll be back out again, and our son is gone forever.”

John says his son was the victim of a deadly “knockout game.”

“This group was out there and their intentions were very clear. This is unprovoked. They stopped and they saw someone they thought they could victimize,” he said. “Colton didn’t have a chance to even turn and defend himself when somebody blind-sided punched him.”

Jesse Smithers was sentenced to 10 years behind bars for delivering the fatal punch. He originally entered a plea of not guilty, but changed it to 2nd-degree murder in Nov. 2013. He apologized in court Thursday for what he called a “complete accident.” But Colton’s mother, Julie, disputes this claim.

“Somebody didn’t just run over and hit a car and provoke an attack,” Julie said. “This was an attack that was meant to happen.”

This tragedy has changed his family forever. All they have now are the memories of a 20-year-old that was loved by so many.

“He was just fun to be with all time, and he was always hugging and telling everyone he loved them,” she said.

If he doesn’t commit any offenses in prison, Smithers could be released in about five years.

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I remember the case. Tragic, heartbreaking. Still, I agree with the verdict. He was a teen. He made a horrible choice. I believe in redemption. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

This and I beleive intent counts for a lot too.

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

I remember the case. Tragic, heartbreaking. Still, I agree with the verdict. He was a teen. He made a horrible choice. I believe in redemption. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Good thing it wasn't my son knocked dead.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

?

You mean like "whoops, didn't mean to kill him?"

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as it isn't your son you believe in it. He jumped out of a car to attack this man. It wasn't just teen craziness. It was calculated evil.

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Assault plus manslaughter? I know it wasn't caulculated murder.

Quoting Radarma:

?

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Redemption? Really? Perhaps you should point out the place where the dead man's family can take this sentence ... their coupon ... and redeem it for a new son. I swear, the only way anyone can even run for a judges seat these days is to prove they were severely deprived of oxygen at some point.

The very least I would do for the knock out champ would be to drop him in a 6 foot dirt hole and leave him there. I consider that a waste of perfectly good food and tax payer money though, and would much prefer that someone give him a lead overdose. In all honesty, I've read quite a few people who are willing to do just that whether it is in five years or ten.

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.

This motherfucker should be made an example out of for all the other thug son of bitches who want to "play" this game.

At the very least, plaster this case in the places these "bored youth" dwell. Let them know, since clearly they are not smart enough to know it already, their "game" KILLS people.

Bullshit.

Quoting paganbaby:

Assault plus manslaughter? I know it wasn't caulculated murder.

Quoting Radarma:

?

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM
10 moms liked this

Hmmm....kid punches someone and kills him 10 years (and I believe he should be punished) but....

Grown man guns down an unarmed teen and nothing.....Yeah...the justice system is fair...not.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Hmmm....kid punches someone and kills him 10 years (and I believe he should be punished) but....

Grown man guns down an unarmed teen and nothing.....Yeah...the justice system is fair...not.

I don't think you want to bring other cases into this post, trust me on that count.

Gee, I am so glad you think this lil fucker "should be punished".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)