Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

McDonald’s employee fired after she paid to feed first responders

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
Odd News

Heather Levia is 23-years-old, has twins, works two jobs, and is in nursing school. She works incredibly hard, and therefore has an appreciation for the hard work first responders do. When some firefighters in Olean, New York, came in to order to food after fighting a house fire in freezing temperatures, Levia paid the $83 bill herself. When another round of food was ordered by a different fire department, she asked if the McDonald’s would cover the cost. As WIVB News 4 reports, Ms. Levia believes this was the catalyst in the restaurant’s decision to fire her.

(WIVB)

After already paying $83 for the first order of food, Heather then texted her boss to see if the restaurant would pay the bill, since they regularly gave free meals to police officers. Her boss said no. After checking with corporate, Heather was once again told no. Not wanting the fire fighters to pay, she and her coworkers covered the cost.

A text sent from Levia to her supervisor (WIVB)

When the firefighters heard that Heather paid the bill, they called her boss and complained because they thought the restaurant had, “made Levia feelobligated to pay for their meals.” The Olean Times Herald reports when Heather showed up for her next shift, she was fired after 8 years of working for the company. She was told it was because she swore at a superior, but she denies that, telling WIVB, “I did say this is ‘freaking’ ridiculous. But it was not implied [sic] to anybody.”

(WIVB)

Tom Meyers, the owner of the McDonalds in statement to the news station, said in part…

“We are aware that certain allegations have been made concerning the reasons for Heather Levia’s termination. Out of respect for Ms. Levia and her privacy, it would not be appropriate to comment in detail on the reasons she is no longer employed by our organization. Still, it should be pointed out that the allegations are absolutely not true. We would never penalize an employee for showing appropriate gratitude for the work of our firefighters.”

As for Ms. Levia, she doesn’t regret what she did, saying, “It’s just wrong. I wish the communities would change and help each other out. I wish that things didn’t have to be the way they are. And if losing my job is going to speak out to the community, then that’s what it’s going to do.” WIVB says she’s in the process of finding a new job and has already received, “several offers.”

More info: WIVBOlean Times Herald

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I don't doubt for a moment that the ex-employee is totally lying.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll repost my reply from the other post on this topic.  

how did the fire fighters learn of her paying their bill?  She chose to do that and it sounds like she created a situation in which the store was painted in a bad light because of her personal decision to pay the bill.  

Yes it was nice, and yes it would have been nice for the store to provide the meals but they are certainly not obligated to do so; and the fact that the fire fighters then esculated the situation with complaints ultimately comes down to her actions and choice.  

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Why?

Quoting LindaClement:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM

But wouldn't firing her just put them more in a bad light?

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I'll repost my reply from the other post on this topic.  

how did the fire fighters learn of her paying their bill?  She choose to do that and it sounds like she created a situation in which the store was painted in a bad light because of her personal decision to pay the bill.  

Yes it was nice, and yes it would have been nice for the store to provide the meals but they are certainly not obligated to do so and the fact that the fire fighters than esculated the situation with complaints ultimately comes down to her actions and choice.  

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Because the media is happy to jump all over any anti-corporate press without bothering to ask some fundamental questions first... and this looks a lot like the 'patron wrote a racist/homophobic/whatever note on the bill instead of a tip' kind of outrage.

McD's and other large corporate interests are well aware of the position they are in when facing courts over unlawful dismissal... covering their butts and dotting their i's is what their whole HR department is for

Sure, that might be why she is convinced she'd unemployed (and, no, it's highly unlikely to be anything as frivolous as a single instance of profanity aimed at the boss)... but it's unlikely to look that way in court.

Quoting paganbaby:

Why?

Quoting LindaClement:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Ah, I remember that one.

Now if that's the case then I have to wonder why she was fired in the first place. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Because the media is happy to jump all over any anti-corporate press without bothering to ask some fundamental questions first... and this looks a lot like the 'patron wrote a racist/homophobic/whatever note on the bill instead of a tip' kind of outrage.

McD's and other large corporate interests are well aware of the position they are in when facing courts over unlawful dismissal... covering their butts and dotting their i's is what their whole HR department is for

Sure, that might be why she is convinced she'd unemployed (and, no, it's highly unlikely to be anything as frivolous as a single instance of profanity aimed at the boss)... but it's unlikely to look that way in court.

Quoting paganbaby:

Why?

Quoting LindaClement:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup.

Perhaps it's more of what is visible in the interview... 

Quoting paganbaby:

If that's the case then I have to wonder why she was fired in the forst place. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting paganbaby:

Why?

Quoting LindaClement:

pookietooth
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Well, if they were worried about bad publicity, they just made it so much worse.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I'm guessing there is more to the story.

blueforewolf
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM

what a bullshit stance for mcdonalds - so it was just a coincidence that she was fired soon after that incident? yeah right - 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)