Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Germany arrests 3 Auschwitz guard suspects

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:18 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

BERLIN (AP) -- German prosecutors have arrested three elderly men on suspicion they served as guards at the Nazis' Auschwitz death camp.

Stuttgart prosecutors' spokeswoman Claudia Krauth said Thursday the three men, aged 88, 92 and 94, were all taken to a prison hospital where they will be held as the investigation continues. The men, whose names were not released, are all suspected of accessory to murder as guards at the death camp in occupied Poland.

They are part of a group of some 30 suspected former Auschwitz guards that German federal prosecutors recommended charges against last September. State prosecutors have been responsible for investigating further and filing charges.

Krauth said her office received six cases total but there was not yet enough evidence to arrest the other three men.

source

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alc4evermom
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Crazy!   I don't feel bad for them because I refuse to believe that anyone could be brainwashed enough into believing its ok to torture and kill people.  While I understand that the general population of any culture is easily swayed, there are always those who choose to resist so that is proof that resistance is possible and that people have choices.  There is no honor in torturing people out of fear.

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM

I can't beleive they are still finding these people. Bet they thought they were safe, as most of the participants and witnesses are slowly dying of old age.  In a few years the only ones left will have been children when the crimes occured.

Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:39 AM
I've been to Auschwitz. I hope those bastards burn in hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlpcrusader
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Wow! That's interesting. Glad they are finding them still. And maybe it will give us a little more insight to history.
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if there is any way to ever comprehend what they did

Quoting mlpcrusader: Wow! That's interesting. Glad they are finding them still. And maybe it will give us a little more insight to history.
m0mmy0ftw02012
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I hope they get what's coming to them. What they did to them poor people is unthinkable. 

billsfan1104
by Jules on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I have never been to Auchwitz, but I have been to Dachau. It is heart wrenching even to this day.
If these guys are the one, I hope they get some in site on why they did it. I have always wondered what made them think that it was ok, to be so brainwashed that they would murder, enslave innocent women and children and men, because they were Jewish, gay, Catholic and so forth.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM
I pray these men are guilty. I would hate to think of someone's elderly grandfather going through this if they are innocent. God will deal with their souls if they are guilty.
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I remember beng fascinated by all this when I was a teen.  I read everything I could get my hands on.   I don't think there is any way to understand this mindset.

Quoting billsfan1104: I have never been to Auchwitz, but I have been to Dachau. It is heart wrenching even to this day.
If these guys are the one, I hope they get some in site on why they did it. I have always wondered what made them think that it was ok, to be so brainwashed that they would murder, enslave innocent women and children and men, because they were Jewish, gay, Catholic and so forth.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Read "Hitlier's Furies".  It is written by a Holocaust Academic and it focus is on the participation of women in the Holocaust but it really delves into the German culture of the time and the govermental indoctrination of the population post WWI.

Truly scary in that one can acutally begin to understand (not to be mistaken with accept) how this happened. 

Quoting candlegal:

I remember beng fascinated by all this when I was a teen.  I read everything I could get my hands on.   I don't think there is any way to understand this mindset.

Quoting billsfan1104: I have never been to Auchwitz, but I have been to Dachau. It is heart wrenching even to this day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)