Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New Spanking Law Would Make It Legal for Parents to Leave Kids Black & Blue?!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM
  • 65 Replies

New Spanking Law Would Make It Legal for Parents to Leave Kids Black & Blue

by Ericka Sóuter

spankingSpanking. It's one of the most divisive issues in the world of parenting. To some, it's abuse. To others, it's the best way to keep a naughty child in line. Personally, my husband and I don't spank our child, but I've always thought it's a personal choice each family has to make. Those who fall in the anti-spanking camp won't like a new law politicians are trying to pass in Kansas. Lawmakers want to legalize harder spanking -- the kind that leaves red marks and bruises.

Right now, child protection laws in the state only allow spankings that don't leave marks. Democratic State Rep Gail Finney has proposed a bill that would legalize 10 types of hand spankings and smacks to use while punishing your child. Parents can also give permission to others to spank their children.

This is a bit extreme, if you ask me. I can't understand why a parent would want to punish their children in a manner that would leave them black and blue. The law does have some safeguards, however. You wouldn't be able to strike a child with a fist, in the head, or with a belt or switch. Still, something that legally protects a parent who leaves bruises on a child just seems so brutal.

It forces the question, what constitutes a spanking and what defines abuse? In my mind, it is those very marks that mean a parent had crossed a line. I would be horrified if one of my son's playmates came over with bruises from a spanking. On the other side, rules about what you can and cannot do may help curtail those parents who already take corporal punishment too far. Still, it's awful to think there will be a law on the books condoning giving your kids bruises and welts.

Finney's goal, however, is a noble one. A mother herself, she hopes the new laws will help restore discipline in families. I can't deny that children are out of control these days -- some children, that is. But does more violent punishment get them in line? Sure, for some, this will work. For others, this may teach them that physical brutality is an appropriate way to solve your problems. That could result in worse behavioral issues.

The bill is up for debate next week and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Do you think a bill like this is a good thing for parents and kids?

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I wasn't a big spanker but there were times when it was used rather effectively. While I don't support beating a child, I support parents having the right to punish in a way that works for their family.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM
4 moms liked this

I am very, very anti-spanking.  However, I think eveyrone should choose what works best for them.  

If you are leaving your child black and blue...it is child abuse.  This law is making me sick to my stomach.  Children do not need to be beat into submission.  If you are leaving marks, it is a beating not a spanking.

shoot4thestars
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

My idea of spanking is a pat on the butt.  I couldn't spank my child hard enough even to leave his skin red, I just couldn't do it. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Did this come up because someone was upset that they couldn't leave marks on their child? Or did it come up because someone got in trouble with CPS or law enforcement when they did leave marks on their child? I doubt this lawmaker woke up one day thinking Parents should be able to leave bruises on their children. Although it is Kansas, so who knows?
tpickle
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Spare the rod and spoil the child.  Does this mean spanking to the point of leaving marks? 

This law smacks (no pun intended) of desperation.

GLWerth
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

If you leave bruises, you are abusing your child.

I don't spank. My kids have never been so bad I could justify physical violence.

I was spanked to the point of bruises and one permanant scar on the back of my leg (my father lost his grip on the belt buckle and it cut me). I think I'm supposed to say 'but it didn't do me any harm', except it did.

I would never treat my children the way I was treated as a child.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
7 moms liked this

If we can not hit adults when we get frustrated with behaviors, we should not be able to hit children when we get frustrated with behaviors.

Leaving marks= abuse.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I just can't believe that this is being considered a "law". Common sense dictates that if you leave marks, you're doing it wrong. I rarely spanked, didn't need to, but my mom used a belt on me once that made the back of my legs bleed. She never spanked me again after that.

redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:50 AM
I wasn't a big spanker either, I always found taking away items more effective.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Well then.. it is Kansas... >.<

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)