Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom May Go To Prison For Buying Her Daughter A DIY Abortion Because We Are Back To The Good ‘Ol Back Alley Days

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

4I’m not Jennifer Whalen, but as a mom I can assume the 38-year-old mother from Washington, Pennsylvania didn’t make the decision to order the abortion medications misoprostol and mifepristone online for her 16-year-old daughter lightly. Having your daughter face an unwanted pregnancy can’t be an easy thing for any mom to go through, and I’m sure Whalen, who is an unregistered nurse, spent a lot of time contemplating this whole thing before she spent 45 dollars on buying the drugs in January of 2012. According to a news item report, Whalen told police she could not find a local abortion clinic and didn’t want to travel out of state with her daughter. She also didn’t know she needed a prescription to purchase the drugs.

On Feb. 6, 2012, her daughter was transported to the Geisinger Medical Center emergency room with abdominal pain. Medical records obtained by police stated she was “treated for an incomplete abortion and a urinary tract infection.” The charges Whalen now faces are for “medical consultation and judgment;” the misdemeanors are for not being licensed as a pharmacist, endangering the welfare of a child, and “simple assault.”   Whalen waived her right to a preliminary hearing. She has been free on 25,000 dollars bail and her arraignment has been set for March.

I’m sure if Whalen could go back in time she would have just taken her daughter to a clinic, but should she have to? If early term medical abortions can be safety administered at home and followup care can be conducted by a doctor then it should be a woman’s choice about how she wants to end her pregnancy. For those women who don’t want to have an abortion in a clinic or hospital they are going to resort to more of these back alley at home DIY procedures, and if they are simply trying to help their daughters they may end up in prison like Whalen probably will. Making medical abortions harder for women to get isn’t going to stop abortions, it’s just going to make women resort to other ways of having them.

Yes, it’s frightening to think Whalen’s daughter may have ended up with worse complications. She is 18 now. Yes, I don’t think administering these drugs without the care of a medical doctor is the best course of action. But I can’t help but feel for this mom, and her daughter, because this couldn’t have been an easy decision for either one of them to go through.

It’s scary when you think that there are many others mothers and daughters in the world making the same decisions, and if they don’t have access to a clinic or medical facility that performs abortions, they are basically forced into making the same choices the Whalens were. Welcome to the new back alley.

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

If you needed a prescription for the drug, why was it sold to her? If she faked the prescription then I agree on charges, but if it was sold to her without one, then I dont' think she should be charged.

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM
4 moms liked this

So she couldn't drive 25 miles to Pittsburgh?

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Right- seems like if it was sold to her it was the pharmacist's issue. "She didn't know" implied that she didn't falsify an rx, but IDK, not enough info. What is an "unregistered nurse", she lost her license? If she ever had one than she could be held to a higher standard I'd propose, but IDK, again, lack of info here.

Quoting Woodbabe:

If you needed a prescription for the drug, why was it sold to her? If she faked the prescription then I agree on charges, but if it was sold to her without one, then I dont' think she should be charged.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Maybe she ordered them online.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

The article was wrong. She lives in Washintonville, not Washington.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

So she couldn't drive 25 miles to Pittsburgh?

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

meriana
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM
4 moms liked this

So the woman is a nurse, albeit unregistered, and didn't know she needed a prescription for the drugs? I find that suspect in itself.. Oh and she didn't want to travel out of state with her daughter, I imagine doing that would have been somewhat inconvenient so much better to purchase drugs on-line and risk her daughters over-all health. This really doesn't speak to the need for abortion clinics in every city in the country, it just says this particular mother doesn't want to be inconvenienced by having to take her daughter someplace for medical care.

The last paragraph is interesting since in past threads there have been those who see nothing wrong in someone being given abortion drugs that they then take home and administer themselves, because after all, they can read directions.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't understand the back alley part.  She has at least 1 facility within driving distance.  I used to have to drive 200 miles round trip 3 times a month for one of my son's therapies.  I didn't realize I was suffering from back alley medicine.

I feel sorry for the daughter because her mom was too lazy to drive a few miles.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

It makes a difference to me if she couldn't travel out of state or just didn't want too.

Quoting meriana:

So the woman is a nurse, albeit unregistered, and didn't know she needed a prescription for the drugs? I find that suspect in itself.. Oh and she didn't want to travel out of state with her daughter, I imagine doing that would have been somewhat inconvenient so much better to purchase drugs on-line and risk her daughters over-all health. This really doesn't speak to the need for abortion clinics in every city in the country, it just says this particular mother doesn't want to be inconvenienced by having to take her daughter someplace for medical care.

The last paragraph is interesting since in past threads there have been those who see nothing wrong in someone being given abortion drugs that they then take home and administer themselves, because after all, they can read directions.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

If I have to fax in a prescription to get my dog's heartworm pills online, then surely she can't just go to a random website and order prescription required drugs like this, can she?

Quoting paganbaby:

Maybe she ordered them online.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Feb. 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Unregistered nurse, eh? Is that like the same thing as an undocumented worker?  ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured