Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you be okay with your child having a gay teacher?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you lived in a small town or knew his sexuality for any other reason. Would you be okay with it?

by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Replies (121-130):
MilfordMomma
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Wouldn't even give it a second thought

lga1965
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Quoting LavenderMom23:

What interests me more (a spin off type) is why society is okay with them being teachers and not priests? There's the double standard. If we're worried about gay priests with children, why is it different if they are gay teachers with children? I think gays should be allowed into the priesthood (celebate).

Welll....gay teachers aren't pedophiles. Some priests are not gay but they are still pedophiles. You know that to be true. The Catholic Church is getting investigated every day.

Goth_mom13
by Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM

is he doing his job properly? then why should i care what his sexuality/religion/whatever is?

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM

1,000 percent, YES.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue.  It was NOT an issue back in the 70's when I had one.  I never knew, as it should be.  She didn't talk about her "female partner".  Ever.  You kept your business to yourself.  Nor did the others talk about their husbands or wives. 

It's only an issue when they make it one in the classroom. 

Quoting LauraKW: You think gay teacher's would flaunt their "gayness" now more than when you were in school?

Quoting vic270:

yes i did to, the difference was they did not flaunt it and make you except it. everyone new but went on about their business.

Quoting 1Giovanni: I had gay teachesrs in the 70s and 80s. My oldest boy had the same teachers. My youngest will probably have gay teachers. Nope I don't care

Josie_P
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I wouldn't care in the least bit.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Yes... Being gay has nothing to do with whether someone will be a good teacher or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

So it would be okay for a straight teacher to have a photo of their husband or wife and kids on their desk?>  Or there's no time for that,too?

Quoting TranquilMind:

All of my kids' teachers haven't.

But that's because they are in rigorous, high level academics.  They focus on the subject matter.  No time for the rest. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins: That is stupid and unrealistic

They also have pics of their kids and spouses on their desks usually

All my kids teachers have spoken of their families

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, they don't.  They talk about the subject matter.  Private life is private and off limit to students. 

Good ones understand this.

Quoting sweet-a-kins: Why be upset of they talk about their partner or spouse?

Straight teachers talk about their boyfriends / spouses

Quoting TranquilMind:

This, exactly.  If he doesn't make it an issue, then fine.  If he talks about "his husband" all the time, well, we are going to rumble (theoretically, as it really hasn't happened).

I had a lesbian gym teacher and basketball coach in high school.  I know it now.  I had absolutely no idea then, as it should be. 

The most memorable thing about her today, is that she said, "You girls are 16, and sadly, most of you are in the best shape you will ever be in your life."  (This was back when gym was demanding). 

She was SO right.  I sure can't run or jump like that now. 

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

I don't know the sexuality of my kids teachers.  There is no reason why what they do in the bedroom should EVER be something relevant in the classroom.

All their teachers could be gay for all I know or care.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM

People are people first.

Your approach used to apply to racial minorities too.

Sometimes one needs to look within to realize where the problem actually originates.

Quoting TranquilMind:

1,000 percent, YES.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue.  It was NOT an issue back in the 70's when I had one.  I never knew, as it should be.  She didn't talk about her "female partner".  Ever.  You kept your business to yourself.  Nor did the others talk about their husbands or wives. 

It's only an issue when they make it one in the classroom. 

Quoting LauraKW: You think gay teacher's would flaunt their "gayness" now more than when you were in school?

Quoting vic270:

yes i did to, the difference was they did not flaunt it and make you except it. everyone new but went on about their business.

Quoting 1Giovanni: I had gay teachesrs in the 70s and 80s. My oldest boy had the same teachers. My youngest will probably have gay teachers. Nope I don't care

ceefdee
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Nothing, but I also don't think "I'll be away for a few days because my wife is having a baby" is a problem from either a male or female teacher either. I don't expect teachers to be knowledge dispensing robots.

Quoting TranquilMind:

The fact that the teachers make sure the students have that knowledge in the first place is what is problematic.  What's wrong with, "I need to be away for a couple of days.  Please make sure you complete the following assignments..."

Quoting ceefdee: Then the teacher doing any of those non politically charged things but with the student's knowledge that it was their same sex instead of opposite sex partner wouldn't bother you?

Quoting TranquilMind:

None of your examples are politically-charged, and indeed are basically emergencies.  Obviously, the kid knows a female teacher was pregnant, and a male teacher announcing he would be gone for a few days for the birth of his baby would be perfectly normal. 

Knowing the teacher had a dying family member would not be unusual. 

If the teacher announced that she was going to go protest the building of an Islamic mosque because of her faith, that would be inappropriate.

If the teacher announced she was going to take off some time to establish her Neo-nazi compound, that would be inappropriate. 

Quoting stringtheory: So was it inappropriate for my dd to know her teacher was replaced with a substitute because his wife had a baby? Or that another teacher had to take the rest of the year off to be with her dying husband? She came back the next year and received sympathy cards from her class because they heard about her personal life. Or how about the teacher I had whose son with downs was a fellow student and whose wife was also a teacher and the three of them would eat lunch together in the cafeteria?

Quoting TranquilMind:

I grew up in a small town, and I never knew anything about my teachers.  They rightly confined their commentary to teaching, not their sex and romantic lives.

That was the correct position to take and good teachers still do this.  No need to mention personal life and those in it.  One can say something like, "Once, I was skydiving and this is how I felt, blah blah" if related to the topic at hand.  But there is absolutely NO reason to get into boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse situations at all.

Quoting stringtheory: How ridiculous. Especially in a small town like the op supposes. You can be exceptionally effective and mention your personal life here and there. Quit being obtuse.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, they don't.  They talk about the subject matter.  Private life is private and off limit to students. 

Good ones understand this.

Quoting sweet-a-kins: Why be upset of they talk about their partner or spouse?

Straight teachers talk about their boyfriends / spouses

Quoting TranquilMind:

This, exactly.  If he doesn't make it an issue, then fine.  If he talks about "his husband" all the time, well, we are going to rumble (theoretically, as it really hasn't happened).

I had a lesbian gym teacher and basketball coach in high school.  I know it now.  I had absolutely no idea then, as it should be. 

The most memorable thing about her today, is that she said, "You girls are 16, and sadly, most of you are in the best shape you will ever be in your life."  (This was back when gym was demanding). 

She was SO right.  I sure can't run or jump like that now. 

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

I don't know the sexuality of my kids teachers.  There is no reason why what they do in the bedroom should EVER be something relevant in the classroom.

All their teachers could be gay for all I know or care.

MyNameIs-
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I know, that's my point. No teacher is going to be spouting off on their conquests in the classroom. And if they are, they need to be fired. Gay or straight.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Who the heck discusses their personal sexuality with students? People (not you) act like a gay teacher is going to be telling a classroom full of kids what kind of freaky sex they had with their spouse the night before.

Quoting MyNameIs-: As long as their sexuality is never discussed in the classroom...well, then that goes for heterosexual teachers too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)