Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

You won't believe the lenient punishment for this kindergartener-dragging principal [VIDEO]

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 15 Replies

You won't believe the lenient punishment for this kindergartener-dragging principal [VIDEO]

http://news.yahoo.com/won-t-believe-lenient-punishment-kindergartener-dragging-principal-160414029.html

NBC Connecticut has obtained damning school surveillance video appearing to show an elementary school principal dragging kindergarteners down school hallways on two separate occasions.

The principal is Carmen Perez Dickson. At the time, she was the chief administrator at Tisdale School in Bridgeport, Conn.

So, America, guess what happened to Dickson. Was she fired? Was she arrested? Is she rotting away in prison?

Of course not. Don't be silly. Principal Dickson got suspended for all of six months. She is still employed. And when her suspension ends next month, she will return to work in the Bridgeport Public Schools (though at least not as principal at Tisdale).

Both the kindergartener-dragging incidents occurred in the spring of 2012. The details which led Dickson to drag two separate kids down the hallways have not been disclosed. The mothers of the dragged children made the videos public.

Sandra Kase, chief administrative officer for the school district, told NBC Connecticut that her recommendation was that the school board fire Dickson. However, the local school board did not agree. On a divided vote, the board voted for the slap-on-the-wrist suspension.

"The Board did not exactly agree with us, so the action that was taken was not what we recommended," Kase said. "If I saw the same evidence and saw the same video today, we'd support the same recommendation we made at the time."

Dickson's lawyer told NBC that the Dickson's actions fell into the Bridgeport board of education's policy guidelines for the use of reasonable force.

It's not clear if Dickson's suspension has been paid or unpaid.

by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

yet another reason why I home school   people who care for your kid strictly for a paycheck dont care for your kid

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM

My daughter came through the room saw the video and I said if she did that to my kid she would be in jail. My daughter said no mom if she did that to one of us you would be in jail. She was right lol

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Not surprised. Most Teachers and Admins get a slap on the wrist even for many heinous crimes. It's disgusting. It can be so difficult to fire them because most are unionized, so they can sue the school district if the SD fires them. Most SDs won't risk it and just shuffle them quietly off to another school. 

lga1965
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM

That was one incident. Please...don't damn all Public Schools based on this. Obviously this Principle is nuts. And the administration was wrong to hire her back, UNLESS they made it clear that she cannot touch children or have to even deal with them.

somuchlove4U
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM
The crazy thing is if we did this to our children, our kids would be taken away. Something needs to happen to the teachers that abuse our kids!

Quoting A-nony-mous:

Not surprised. Most Teachers and Admins get a slap on the wrist even for many heinous crimes. It's disgusting. It can be so difficult to fire them because most are unionized, so they can sue the school district if the SD fires them. Most SDs won't risk it and just shuffle them quietly off to another school. 

heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I guess I'll be devil's advocate on this one.

I watched the video, and I don't see the shock value everyone seems to be getting. If you watch closely, she's not being firm, violent, or angry, and she doesn't seem to be hurting them. The children are like rag dolls and aren't even trying to wiggle away from her. Their faces aren't being shown, but if I had to take a guess, I'd assume they were amused and laughing about what was going on (that's what my kids would do in that situation).

So what exactly was her crime? Is touching children illegal now? She didn't hurt anyone, and I'm assuming the kids had to be dragged because they wouldn't leave the classroom of their own free will.

I agree with her not getting fired. She did what she thought had to be done at the time, without injuring them, and in a calm manor. I'm not even sure I agree with her being suspended. If I were the parent, I would be more upset at my child for being a brat and intentionally making a teacher's job more difficult.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I watched the video and dont see anything wrong with it.  Im too old school I suppose.  She isnt hurting the child, the child appears to not want to move, she doesnt appear to be aggressive toward the child.

If the child was disrupting the classroom they have to be removed....what are they supposed to do?

Not long ago we watched a video of a kid being a little shit in a chuck e cheese and people were saying why didnt they remove the child.

I would separate the child as best as I could and call the parents.  Personally if my kid did this and I was shown the video I would be upset at my child for being disruptive.

Meh. 

Brown79
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM
What happened to the day when you were disruptive the teacher rapped you with a ruler? It happened to me, I shut my face and was pissed. I told my mom & dad on the teacher and I got grounded for acting like a snot in class. Lesson learned!

Parents need to focus on behavior more!
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I won't damn them all, but they are all coloured by the same brush.

There are too many stories like this, and 95% of the reason for it is economics: there aren't enough people watching what people are doing, so they skid off the rails and get worse and worse because they have no course-correction along the way.

Then, like a grade 5 teacher in my elementary school (who retired with a full pension more than 25 years AFTER this happened), you take a girl's eye out with a piece of chalk thrown at the back of her head just before she turned around.

Taking care of 20 children at a time is illegal for daycare workers, and 'pretty good ratio' for teachers. It's ridiculous.

Quoting lga1965:

That was one incident. Please...don't damn all Public Schools based on this. Obviously this Principle is nuts. And the administration was wrong to hire her back, UNLESS they made it clear that she cannot touch children or have to even deal with them.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

The school board will change its mind, I'm sure, when the parents slap a big ole law suit against the district.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)