Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Polio Vaccine Side Effects: Still trust Vaccines?

I must first say, I AM an anti-vaccine mommy (for the most part).  When my children stop teething and can speak to me and be checked for no immune issues I am okay with a FEW Immunizations of specific viruses that can be administered without the preservatives, otherwise - NO WAY.  Before this becomes a bash fest - I must also add that my children and I practice good hygeine, healthy diets, and I am currently getting my doctorate in Forensic Psychology with an emphasis in neuropsychology - so I'm not ignorant to seeing both sides of the vaccine debate.

However, if you are unaware of the risks, adverse side effects, VICP Government program to families suffering fatalities of vaccines or what is IN a vaccine, I strongly encourage you to take these news stories seriously.  This is not just a FEW cases, this is not the first or 100th time we hear these stories. Yes, we as humans will die of many causes and any child dying from a virus is sad but let us not deny preventable measures aside from vaccines and post-treatment such as medication. We shouldn't be 'illusioned' to poison our children to avoid unfortunate illness.

What are your thoughts on this recent case? Change your perception? Make you nervous?

****Avoid bashing - can't we all just get along and discuss this important societal/parental issue?****

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/24/health/mystery-illness-in-california/

(CNN) -- Doctors are looking for more information about a "polio-like syndrome" that has caused paralysis in a few children in California.

Neurologists have identified five patients who developed paralysis in one or more of their limbs between August 2012 and July 2013. All five children had been vaccinated against the poliovirus. Treatment did not seem to help the children regain their motor function.

Samples from two of the children tested positive for enterovirus 68, a rare virus that has been linked to severe respiratory illness in the past. Samples from the other three children were not collected or tested soon enough to yield conclusive results, said Dr. Emmanuelle Waubant, a neurologist at the University of California, San Francisco.

Waubant and her colleagues will present a case report about these patients' illnesses at the American Academy of Neurology's annual meeting in late April. They are asking health care providers to be on the lookout for similar cases and send in samples from any patient exhibiting these symptoms.

Dr. Carol Glaser, chief of the Encephalitis and Special Investigation Section at the California Department of Public Health, said the state is aware of the paralysis cases but believes the risk to families is very low.

"We are evaluating cases as they are reported to us," Glaser said in an e-mail to CNN. "We have not found anything at this point that raises any public health concerns."

The poliovirus has been eradicated in the United States for more than 30 years. Only three countries in the world are not yet free of the disease: Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria, according to the World Health Organization.

Why polio hasn't gone away yet

Poliovirus is part of the Picornaviridae family, which also includes enteroviruses and rhinoviruses (better known as the common cold). There are more than 100 types of enterovirus that cause 10 million to 15 million infections in the United States each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Most people who become infected with an enterovirus do not get sick or experience only mild symptoms, said Dr. Steven Oberste, chief of the Polio and Picornavirus Laboratory Branch at the CDC. Common symptoms include fever, runny nose, cough, skin rash and body aches.

Enterovirus is often the cause of "summer colds," whose cases spike in July, August and September. Children and teens are more likely to fall ill because they have not yet built up immunity to these common viruses.

However, some types of enterovirus are more serious. These can cause hand, foot and mouth disease; viral meningitis; encephalitis (inflammation of the brain); an infection of the heart; and paralysis in some patients.

Enterovirus 68 was first identified in a California lab in 1962, after four children came down with a severe respiratory illness. Between 1970 and 2005, only 26 cases of enterovirus 68 in the United States were reported to the CDC. Since 2000, the government agency has kept a closer watch and has seen 47 cases, Oberste said. Outbreaks have occurred over the years in Asia and Europe, but it's still one of the rarest types of enterovirus.

More common -- and more concerning to health officials -- is enterovirus 71, which was discovered by the same California lab in 1969, Oberste said. Enterovirus 71 is usually associated with severe neurological issues, including aseptic meningitis, polio-like paralysis and encephalitis. Waubant is not sure if the samples from this latest group of patients were tested for enterovirus 71.

According to a CDC report, several outbreaks of paralysis caused by enterovirus 71 were seen in Europe in the 1960s and 1970s. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, fatal encephalitis was a big problem in Malaysia and Taiwan.

"Ever since then, the virus has circulated in high levels in Southeast Asia," Oberste said.

In recent years, the outbreaks have spread to Australia; a cluster of cases near Sydney drew media attention in 2013.

Between 1983 and 2005, 270 cases of enterovirus 71 were reported in the United States. But none has resulted in a larger outbreak, despite the virus's infectious nature.

"That's the really odd thing," Oberste said. "We see cases from time to time in the United States. Occasionally they'll be severe. Basically it's identical to what's circulating in Asia ... but it doesn't cause the same big outbreak in disease. And we really don't know why."

The CDC is aware of the small cluster of cases in California but is not actively involved in an investigation, a spokesman told CNN. Waubant and her colleagues don't want to alarm anyone with their case report presentation; they're simply seeking help in finding the cause of these seemingly connected cases.

"We would like to stress that this syndrome appears to be very, very rare," one of Waubant's colleagues, Dr. Keith Van Haren, said in a prepared statement.

Parents need to know that vaccination is key to preventing polio from returning to the United States, Glaser said. While there is no vaccine to protect you from a non-polio enterovirus, washing your hands frequently and avoiding close contact with others who are sick can help.

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Replies (51-57):
OrganicMomma247
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM
How do you know if it's a bad batch of the vaccine? How do you do something about it?

Chances are our not gonna know it's a bad batch until your child is already vaccinated and hurt from it.

http://vaccineepidemic.com
In this book, there is a lot of valid information including pictures of children affected by the vaccine.

Within the first 50 pgs it states that when vaccines are tested they are tested individually and not in reaction to each other. So when your giving your child his vaccines in schedule (the 5 in a row every few months) - if your child does have a reaction you have no idea which shot is causing the problem or if it's a reaction to each other that's the problem.

I do get the purpose of vaccines is to keep us healthy but how healthy is it to have chemicals forced into small bodies that are still developing and adjusting to life. Especially not knowing how they react all together and therefore how that's going to effect future development.

The vaccine schedule is ridiculous for babies and children. I feel like more research needs to be made and information around the world needs to come together to make healthier standards and choices for our species as a whole.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

All I had to read was the phrase "in a few children," and "....very, very rare" and immediately I thought of the millions the vaccine has saved.  If there is an issue with a batch of vaccine (or whatever the medical world would call it), do something about it. But to use this as an argument for not vaccinating is TERRIBLY NAIVE, imo.

http://www.vaccines.gov/diseases/polio  Polio used to be very common in the U.S. and caused severe illness in thousands of people each year before polio vaccine was introduced in 1955. Most people infected with the polio virus have no symptoms, however for the less than one percent who develop paralysis (cannot move arms or legs) it may result in permanent disability and even death.

Polio, or poliomyelitis, can strike at any age. Thanks to effective vaccine, the United States has been polio-free since 1979. But poliovirus still occurs in a few countries in Asia and Africa. In the late 1940s to the early 1950s, polio crippled an average of over 35,000 people in the United States each year; it was one of the most feared diseases of the twentieth century. Thanks to the polio vaccine, dedicated health care professionals, and parents who vaccinate their children on schedule, polio has been eliminated in this country for over 30 years.

Maintaining the success rate of U.S. vaccination efforts is crucial since the disease still occurs in some parts of the world. People most at risk are those who never had polio vaccine, those who never received all the recommended vaccine doses, and those traveling to areas where polio is still common.

http://www.scienceheroes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=258&Itemid=27Very interesting site here. Take a look at the numbers.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM

We'd have to consult with people in the medical profession when it comes to your first two questions. Obviously, something is going on right now that I'm sure they are looking into.

As with everything, there is likely a balance. I don't have small children, so I'm unaware of the vaccination schedule and if it's any different than when I was young -- and, if so, why would that be?

Still, the fact is vaccinations have saved millions of more lives than they have harmed. Cars are extremely dangerous, but each one of us probably gets in one at least once a day. No -- don't turn a blind eye to dangers with some cars; don't ignore recalls, but would we really just stop driving all together because of the dangers?

Quoting OrganicMomma247: How do you know if it's a bad batch of the vaccine? How do you do something about it? Chances are our not gonna know it's a bad batch until your child is already vaccinated and hurt from it. http://vaccineepidemic.com In this book, there is a lot of valid information including pictures of children affected by the vaccine. Within the first 50 pgs it states that when vaccines are tested they are tested individually and not in reaction to each other. So when your giving your child his vaccines in schedule (the 5 in a row every few months) - if your child does have a reaction you have no idea which shot is causing the problem or if it's a reaction to each other that's the problem. I do get the purpose of vaccines is to keep us healthy but how healthy is it to have chemicals forced into small bodies that are still developing and adjusting to life. Especially not knowing how they react all together and therefore how that's going to effect future development. The vaccine schedule is ridiculous for babies and children. I feel like more research needs to be made and information around the world needs to come together to make healthier standards and choices for our species as a whole.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

All I had to read was the phrase "in a few children," and "....very, very rare" and immediately I thought of the millions the vaccine has saved.  If there is an issue with a batch of vaccine (or whatever the medical world would call it), do something about it. But to use this as an argument for not vaccinating is TERRIBLY NAIVE, imo.

http://www.vaccines.gov/diseases/polio  Polio used to be very common in the U.S. and caused severe illness in thousands of people each year before polio vaccine was introduced in 1955. Most people infected with the polio virus have no symptoms, however for the less than one percent who develop paralysis (cannot move arms or legs) it may result in permanent disability and even death.

Polio, or poliomyelitis, can strike at any age. Thanks to effective vaccine, the United States has been polio-free since 1979. But poliovirus still occurs in a few countries in Asia and Africa. In the late 1940s to the early 1950s, polio crippled an average of over 35,000 people in the United States each year; it was one of the most feared diseases of the twentieth century. Thanks to the polio vaccine, dedicated health care professionals, and parents who vaccinate their children on schedule, polio has been eliminated in this country for over 30 years.

Maintaining the success rate of U.S. vaccination efforts is crucial since the disease still occurs in some parts of the world. People most at risk are those who never had polio vaccine, those who never received all the recommended vaccine doses, and those traveling to areas where polio is still common.

http://www.scienceheroes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=258&Itemid=27Very interesting site here. Take a look at the numbers.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:49 AM

No, it has not been linked to the polio vaccine, but rather to a virus that usually causes nothing more serious than a summer cold.

Quoting fireangel5:

I don't understand. Are you suggesting that this illness in Cali is simply a reaction to the polio vax?

OrganicMomma247
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM
It says right there that people are most a risk are the people who are in areas where polio is common or going there.

So because we might be exposed we should expose ourselves to chemicals that have no guarantee to actually prevent it from affecting us and maybe cause other illnesses?

Quoting Seasidegirl:

We'd have to consult with people in the medical profession when it comes to your first two questions. Obviously, something is going on right now that I'm sure they are looking into.

As with everything, there is likely a balance. I don't have small children, so I'm unaware of the vaccination schedule and if it's any different than when I was young -- and, if so, why would that be?

Still, the fact is vaccinations have saved millions of more lives than they have harmed. Cars are extremely dangerous, but each one of us probably gets in one at least once a day. No -- don't turn a blind eye to dangers with some cars; don't ignore recalls, but would we really just stop driving all together because of the dangers?

Quoting OrganicMomma247: How do you know if it's a bad batch of the vaccine? How do you do something about it? Chances are our not gonna know it's a bad batch until your child is already vaccinated and hurt from it. http://vaccineepidemic.com In this book, there is a lot of valid information including pictures of children affected by the vaccine. Within the first 50 pgs it states that when vaccines are tested they are tested individually and not in reaction to each other. So when your giving your child his vaccines in schedule (the 5 in a row every few months) - if your child does have a reaction you have no idea which shot is causing the problem or if it's a reaction to each other that's the problem. I do get the purpose of vaccines is to keep us healthy but how healthy is it to have chemicals forced into small bodies that are still developing and adjusting to life. Especially not knowing how they react all together and therefore how that's going to effect future development. The vaccine schedule is ridiculous for babies and children. I feel like more research needs to be made and information around the world needs to come together to make healthier standards and choices for our species as a whole.
Quoting Seasidegirl:

jjames1990
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM
My mother had polio as a child (1956) she was 7. She had big problems as an adult with her legs.

I always wonder, we have been vaccinated for 50 years. And just now issues are coming up. Like Autism. They say more cases of if are happening, and its from the vaccines, but we were all vaccinated, the vaccines haven't changed and we didn't get autism.

Quoting lga1965:

Geeeeeeze.

Since I was born in the 40's and saw people (and kids) die or become paralyzed due to Polio, then in the 50's when they created the Polio vaccine and polio disappeared, I have been PRO-vaccination.

The only one I am worried about is the HPV vaccine because it is so new and there needs to be more time to find out how safe it is.

I'm sorry, but since the time I was a baby, since my kids were babies and my grandchildren have been babies, ( not to mention everyone's friends) NOBODY has had any side effects from ANY vaccinations.

These vaccines save lives.

That is all I will say.

SuDoNim
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:06 AM

That's incorrect. Before a new vaccine is added to the schedule, it undergoes concomitant studies. The control group is given the vaccines on the existing schedule, while the study group is given the new vaccine plus the vaccines on the existing schedule.

Quoting OrganicMomma247:  Within the first 50 pgs it states that when vaccines are tested they are tested individually and not in reaction to each other.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Thanks!  I didn't think that was a plausible link.  That is a scary virus tho, I hope the kids are able to make a full recovery. 

Quoting gdiamante:

No, it has not been linked to the polio vaccine, but rather to a virus that usually causes nothing more serious than a summer cold.

Quoting fireangel5:

I don't understand. Are you suggesting that this illness in Cali is simply a reaction to the polio vax?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN