Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soldier hides to avoid saluting flag, takes selfie in defiance

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140225/NEWS/302250023/Soldier-flagrantly-avoids-flag-salute-sets-off-online-outrage

Soldier flagrantly avoids flag salute, sets off online outrage

Feb. 25, 2014 - 03:18PM  

Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey is facing criticism online for this selfie, which shows her flagrantly avoiding issuing a salute to the American flag. 

A female soldier who hid in her car to avoid saluting the flag - and then flaunted it on Instagram - is the latest service member to come under attack via social media and be accused of dishonoring her service.

Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey, whose Instagram handle is "sheffeynation," posted a selfie with a caption that reads:

"This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR ‘THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF."

The image was distributed via Facebook and also sent to Army Times. Angry service members, Gold Star mothers and spouses have called for the soldier's removal from service.

"Any soldier who refuses to salute the flag is in the military for the wrong reason, and should be removed by dishonorable discharge with loss of all benefits," one Facebook commenter said. "If they won't salute it, they damn sure won't fight for it."

Sheffey is a member of the 59th Quartermaster Company, 43rd Sustainment Brigade, at Fort Carson, Colo., post spokesman Dee McNutt confirmed Tuesday.

When asked if an investigation was underway, McNutt said, "The chain of command is aware and looking into the situation. That's really all I can say at this point."

McNutt said Fort Carson learned of the photo after receiving a number of complaints.

The online outrage has quickly turned to hate, with a torrent of abusive comments, racial slurs and threats being made against the young soldier.

Sheffey responded wI'ith a video on Instagram on Tuesday and expressed regret. But she stopped short of apologizing for her actions:

"I seriously just want to say thank you to everybody who stood up to me today, like seriously. That s--- to me was not that serious. I am not a disrespectful soldier and I really appreciate you all."

Attempts to reach Sheffey for comment via email were not immediately successful.

This marks the third time in less than two weeks in which a photo of service members has sparked controversy on social media. Several National Guard members have been suspended from funeral honors detail in light of a photo showing them comically posing around a flag-draped casket during training. An investigation is ongoing.

Air Force Staff Sgt. Cherish Byers is also the subject of an investigation, after a three-year-old photo of her tongue-kissing a Prisoner of War-Missing in Action symbol went viral.

I'll open this to the floor without comment. This girl disgusts me, I'll just leave it at that.

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Replies (311-320):
Mommy2Bri425
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM
True and how silly if her to not fact check first. The army times have already ran a story if copy cat accounts pretending to be her.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

She wants to get kicked out.

Like Montell Williams said, "McDonald's needs people like her."

You've posted what you just assumed was this young woman's account without even bothering to check to make sure you were not passing on blatant lies. That makes you an even more disrespectful American than Ms. Sheffey. Congratulations.

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:18 AM

Shame on her...boot her out asap....

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:26 AM

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
denise3680
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:30 AM

well aren't we a mature lot:/  I know how many reps, they can do since i am a vet and my husband is active duty now.  so maybe next time you want to play in the big leagues try and play like an adult next time.  Like i said before maybe this type of conversation is above your paygrade.  There is a nice little sand box at nick.com you play in though:/ 

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: The fact that they can only do 5 reps of PRT is lame, you dumb bitch.
Quoting denise3680:

who is lame, did you not see that it was a joke:/  or is that above your pay grade?

Quoting Mommy2Bri425:

False. TC 3-22.20 says that these folks can't do more than 5 reps-and the reps that they do have to be PRT. Lame. So damn lame.

Quoting denise3680:

along with the stern talking to is probably about 1000 push ups, maybe some mountain climbers or things that will make you rush outside and be the first person to salute any flag whether it is being lowered, raised, folded etc....  lol

Quoting timeforprogress:

This soldier in question is a PFC.  Assuming she has not lost rank she has been in service for lets say roughly one year.  She has probably saluted the flag at least a hundred times in that year, though the amount of times is probably 2-3X that number. The penalty for getting caught not saluting the flag during the afternoon flag lowering is typically a stern talking to for a first offense.  Seriously not that big a deal, and not a reason to be so up in arms.  She is still doing what only about one percent of the population are willing to do.  

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: Don't tell me what the flag means to me. It is a symbol -- symbols represent something. It means freedom, pride and unity in the US. If a US soldier can't bring themselves to salute our flag than get the hell out of the military. Bad attitude, insobordination etc. Her not following the rules is not negotiable.
Quoting timeforprogress:

You cannot possibly know what kind of soldier she is from this incident.  A large number of soldiers slip into hiding when they hear the cannon burst and the bugle start to play.  The constitution is our symbol of ultimate freedom not the flag.  

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I can't take your response seriously.  If she dislikes the US flag so vehemently than get out of the service.  If she refuses the standard gesture of saluting the flag than how can you possibly assume she'd die for her country? She hid in her car.  She's not taking a bullet for this country or anyone in her unit.  The flag is not just some piece of cloth -- it's a symbol for ultimate freedom.  It's obvious to me that you have no understanding of this. 

Quoting Kaya529: Eh, I don't see the problem. I completely disagree with the article where it said that if she doesn't respect the flag than she is in for the wrong reasons. I'm sorry but she may be in because she wants to protect and serve people rather than a piece of cloth. People put way to much into a piece of cloth. It's funny how everyone is ignoring the fact that she is willing to die for this country but if she doesn't worship a material object than they will hate on her. Most of the people pitching a fit sit in safety while worshipping a flag and feel that they are better than her. It just a bunch of bull.

AslantheLioness
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM

ya that won't happen, we're not talking treason or espionage, we're talking about ducking out on saluting a piece of cloth that isnt going to care. Go on post/base one day and see how many uniformed people are ducking into doorways or waiting inside until the music is over or carry on their business without stopping because what they are doing is a bit more pressing at the moment. Its happens everyday, all the time, by all ranks. The only difference is that this idiot advertised herself online about it assuming the article is truthful.

At worst she gets an ass chewing and maybe some extra details after work she doesnt wanna do, but probably not even that.  You dont even get booted for disrespect to a higher ranked person, let alone a piece of cloth.

Quoting GrannyM.:

Shame on her...boot her out asap....

AslantheLioness
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM

whoopty doo, whose gonna enforce that? the flag police?

people respect the flag, but if they are busy or just dont want to take the time to stop at that moment to salute it, they dont and 99.99% of the time, no one cares or is going to bother doing anything about it especially if they dont know the person or have the time or concern to bother with it.

Quoting GrannyM.:

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM
You'd think she just said there's no God or something. Sheesh. With everything going on within the military, THIS is what people choose to get worked up about. Pathetic.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

She was thoughtless and careless.  Social media is the downfall of many people. 

MrsBx
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Really? Who cares. When I was in the service, it was known as shaming. I use to get a laugh out of walking across the parking lot, only to get caught around noon or 5pm or some time when the music started playing and you had to freeze frame and salute the flag. It got to be a joke about not leaving a building any time around that time period.  It got to be very annoying having to avoid such obstacles.  I didn't mind but I was aware of the time always.  It was embarassing at times, getting caught outside, especially when it rained, and the people who were purposely hiding inside the doorway of a building were laughing at you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured