Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad Delivers Baby After Doctor, Nurse Flee

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM
KK
  • 54 Replies

Dad Delivers Baby After Doctor, Nurse Flee

Zaheer Ali says he and his laboring wife, Indira, were abandoned by hospital staff when another patient needed an emergency C-section.

"My wife was screaming," Zaheer Ali told the Palm Beach Post. "The nurse says, 'You have to wait.'"

The Alis arrived to Bethesda Hospital East Saturday night and were given an induction drug to speed up the delivery, according to the Post.

Indira Ali's labor was moving along quickly. When a patient down the hall needed the C-section, her doctor stopped the induction drip to stall the birth until she could return, the Post reported.

But baby Aaliyah couldn't wait. She was born weighing 6 pounds, 3 ounces, with just her mom and dad in the room.

It must have happened very rapidly, because I was only in the C-section for 30 minutes," obstetrician Dr. Elana Deutsch told the Post, adding that a nurse should have stayed with the couple but was likely "nervous" about being there alone. "By the time she [the nurse] was back in the room, the baby was in the bed," Deutsch said.

Deutsch returned to the room just in time to cut the umbilical cord, the Post reported.

"The patient was obviously very upset," she said. "I was very upset."

Study Raises Concerns That Induction Drug Pitocin May Harm Babies

Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Kronhaus declined to comment on the ordeal, citing patient privacy rules, but stressed that mom and baby are "doing very well."

She also confirmed to ABC News that the family was offered "special accommodations" at the hospital but said she couldn't say whether they were still there.

ABC News was unable to reach the family for comment, but Zaheer Ali told the Post that their treatment was "wrong."

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM
10 moms liked this

But that doctor is, sure as shit, going to charge them full price.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Why is there only one doctor on call on a maternity ward? Whose dumb idea was that? The night I went into labor, there were 17 women in the maternity ward, all in labor at the same time. 

wintermoon111
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM
can that be a lawsuit?
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM

damn ....how many nurses and doctors are in this hospital?  I would be suing them for neglect. 

why was a nurse "nervous" about being alone with the couple?

and what do they think the special accommodations was going to do for the couple?

....FFS, I love our system even more when I hear of shit like this.

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

There is so much wrong with what happened to that couple.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:20 PM

no clue.  Maybe he had more than one patient in labor and they didn't have anyone on call.  The nurse should not have taken off.  

Quoting turtle68:

damn ....how many nurses and doctors are in this hospital?  I would be suing them for neglect. 

why was a nurse "nervous" about being alone with the couple?

and what do they think the special accommodations was going to do for the couple?

....FFS, I love our system even more when I hear of shit like this.

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM

What?? That is nuts.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Sad that women need a team of doctors around them to have a damn baby. We as a society should be ashamed that woman felt like that. Everyone fine? Yeah? That's because birth is normal.

Big babies.
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My aunt was an ob nurse. Based on her stories, the dr didn't always make it and there were plwnty of times where she had to deliver babies! Doubt that would be something new for the nurse. I would definitely be refusing the delivery part of that bill!
lhiannan
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

While I do feel that giving birth shouldn't be as medicalized as it is, the fact remains that it is.  That woman and her partner probably did not prepare for how to deliver that baby.  They were in a hospital with trained staff who were supposed to be there.  I'm all for home births, if possible-I didn't have one with my 1 year old because my husband was not on board.  Good thing, too, because I had no fluid left, the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck 3 times, and she was covered in meconium that they estimated she had passed 2 weeks before.  We were not expecting any problems at all, but things happen. 

Not many people would agree to an unassisted birth-even homebirths have trained professionals present in the event of an emergency.  These people were abandoned.

Quoting notjstanothrmom: Sad that women need a team of doctors around them to have a damn baby. We as a society should be ashamed that woman felt like that. Everyone fine? Yeah? That's because birth is normal.

Big babies.

wedding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN