Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nursing Home Blames Rape on 89-Year-Old Woman Who Was a 'Flirt'

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

Nursing Home Blames Rape on 89-Year-Old Woman Who Was a 'Flirt'

by Rebecca Stokes

wheelchairThis story is just truly horrific. An 89-year-old woman in the early stages of dementia was raped by the man assigned to care for her in her nursing home. The truly awful part (though it's all awful) is what happened next. While her claims were investigated, she was locked in a psych ward for three days while administrators tried to downplay the crime. Thankfully the police, summoned by the victim's fraught daughter, had no time for their deception. 

The way the nursing home lied, manipulated, and tried to cover up the rape was appalling. Administrators called the victim a "flirt" and implied that the whole ordeal was something she had consented to. Truly outrageous. Even more so because the man responsible for assaulting her CONFESSED to doing just that! Even in light of this confession, the nursing home still did everything it could to save its own neck at the cost of the well-being of one of its residents.

What slays me the most about this story is just how damaging it was to the victim. The doctor who attended to her said the lacerations left after the rape were among the worst seen in years. Once the victim was back in the nursing home, she was placed in the same room where the attack had occurred. This left her so panicked, she moved her furniture in front of the door for protection.

The woman already had to deal with so much -- it's unthinkable that she'd have to deal with this amount of fallout as well. This sort of news definitely calls into question how nursing homes are run, and the sort of background checks (or lack thereof) the employees they hire must go through. As our parents get older and we are looking for the best way of providing them care, the quality of life at places like this is something we'll all have to research. The fact that something this terrifying can happen at a place meant to be keeping our elderly loved ones safe is truly disgusting.

Have you had a negative experience with a nursing home?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

The end is near for this nursing home.

I haven't personally had a negative experience with a nursing home, but I worked in one. Unfortunately the nurses a lot of times are not there because they want to be, they are there because nobody else will take them.

Then again, there are nursing homes that are wonderful and have wonderful staff in them, my grandmother is in such a nursing home, by her choice, she loves it there.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:12 AM
There are good and bad nursing homes. I have worked in excellent homes. And not so excellent homes. It all depends on who is running it.

Some will hire anyone who is licensed. Others go beyond that. I do believe its a law to do a background check on any nurse or nurse aide. But of course if the person wasn't charged with something then they wont have that on their record.

This is shameful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I would never ever ever put a loved one of mine in a nursing home. EVER!

I hope the Nursing home is closed and that poor woman should have her care at the next place taken care of. There should also be jail time for everyone involved... but we all know how rape is treated so that won't happen.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM

He was only sentenced to 13 months for raping a mentally ill elderly woman?!? I hope they close that place!

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I'm not surprised that a medical facility's first response is to try to save it's own ass instead of doing the morally correct thing. I am surprised that she's still in that nursing home and in the same room. The family needs to pull her out of there.

I'm not sue-happy, however, I do feel that this would not be a frivolous lawsuit at all if the family takes it that direction. I hope they win. I hope this elderly woman is getting the love and care she needs.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Even if she had consented it would have been unethical in every way shape and form.

I hope her family sues the pants off this place and is able to hire an in home caretaker and can take her into their home to keep her safe. That poor woman :(
ZombieMeat
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Ugh.... Just another reason to never put my parents in a nursing home.

MamaSarah1104
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I'm sorry, but why wouldn't the daughter have taken her out of that nursing home immediately? And then to allow her to be put back. I would never have my mother set foot in there again.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:54 PM

When I posted this TWO days ago, people in this group seemed to prefer "discussing" some dude raping cows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)