Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

F*** the 1%..

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM
  • 216 Replies

ATHERTON (KPIX 5) – Vandals have targeted one of the Bay Area’s wealthiest communities and their handiwork has gotten the attention of the FBI.

Last Sunday, multi-million dollar homes in Atherton had offensive graffiti sprayed on them. The graffiti was found on walls, fences and even a car.

Many of the messages said “F*** the 1%,” a reference to the income inequality between the top one percent of Americans and the rest of the population.

“It’s terrible,” said one neighbor who identified herself as Diane. “Yeah, it’s a terrible thing to do and to be here in town.”

“We go out and collect evidence and interview neighbors,” said Atherton Police Lt. Joe Wade. “We look for anything we can to lead us to the person who did this.”

One of the writings had a more threatening tone: “kill people.”

Neighbors are on the fence about who did it: Occupy protesters, gang members or teens with time to kill.”

“I don’t have this generation child but I can’t imagine them doing this,” said homeowner Carol Burke. “I think it is someone with an ax to grind.”

“As long as nobody was hurt is the main thing,” said Diane. “And you can always cover it up. “

Atherton Police say it is consulting with other agencies, including the FBI, in an effort to find the vandals. The FBI monitors activist movements such as Occupy Wall Street.

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:46 PM
6 moms liked this

Oh noes the wealthy are having to deal with some graffiti in their precious neighborhoods.

Welcome to the reality of the rest of America.  

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:22 PM
11 moms liked this

I have lived in low income areas, wealthy gated commuinities and areas in between...  None of the areas had homes (with people living in them) spray painted.  Especially ones that say "Fuck ______"(the segment of society living there) or kill them.  

Welcome to the reality of the rest of America?  Wow.  I feel sorry for you.

Quoting timeforprogress:

Oh noes the wealthy are having to deal with some graffiti in their precious neighborhoods.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this
That's awful but would the FBI be looking into it in a low income area? I hope the people that did this are caught! There is no reason to vandalize people's property! Not all 1% got rich from anything shady! This doesn't solve anything just furthers the divide!
timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I see houses, fences, places of businesses, street signs, sidewalks, bridges spray painted all the time with all kinds of colorful sayings.  

The graffiti said Kill people not kill them.  They maybe saying that the 1% kill people. I think calling in the FBI is ridiculous.  I just can't seem to feel an ounce of sympathy for these people.  Paint over it and move on with your life just like the rest of us.  

Quoting jcrew6:

I have lived in low income areas, wealthy gated commuinities and areas in between...  None of the areas had homes (with people living in them) spray painted.  Especially ones that say "Fuck ______"(the segment of society living there) or kill them.  

Quoting timeforprogress:

RandRMomma
by Maya on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah. I'm having trouble feeling bad for people that don't care about anyone but themselves.

Quoting timeforprogress:

I see houses, fences, places of businesses, street signs, sidewalks, bridges spray painted all the time with all kinds of colorful sayings.  

The graffiti said Kill people not kill them.  They maybe saying that the 1% kill people. I think calling in the FBI is ridiculous.  I just can't seem to feel an ounce of sympathy for these people.  Paint over it and move on with your life just like the rest of us.  

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting timeforprogress:

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:31 PM
8 moms liked this

I hope they catch the vandals and hold them accountable for their crime.  

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:31 PM

If the municipality requestd it? IMO~ they would.  Especially if the tagline sprayed on the houses was one used  frequently by a national Activist movement that is already being monitored by them. 

I heard on the news earlier this week that FBI is investigating vandalism at an urban community college for race/ethnic related grafiti against blacks and hispanics.

Quoting Healthystart30: That's awful but would the FBI be looking into it in a low income area? I hope the people that did this are caught! There is no reason to vandalize people's property! Not all 1% got rich from anything shady! This doesn't solve anything just furthers the divide!

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this

What makes you think they don't care about anyone but themselves?

Quoting RandRMomma: Yeah. I'm having trouble feeling bad for people that don't care about anyone but themselves.
Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting timeforprogress:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM
5 moms liked this
Quoting RandRMomma: Yeah. I'm having trouble feeling bad for people that don't care about anyone but themselves.

Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting timeforprogress:

Do you personally know these people? I happen to know some 1% and they are super nice, well educated awesome people. The guy was an entrepreneur when he opened his business and it just took off. Hating on people just because they have a nicer house or more money is just as bad as hating on poor people just because they are poor! It's ignorant and in bad taste!
RandRMomma
by Maya on Feb. 26, 2014 at 6:51 PM
I didn't say I hated them. I said I have a problem feeling sorry for people that don't care about others.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Quoting Healthystart30:

Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting timeforprogress:

Do you personally know these people? I happen to know some 1% and they are super nice, well educated awesome people. The guy was an entrepreneur when he opened his business and it just took off. Hating on people just because they have a nicer house or more money is just as bad as hating on poor people just because they are poor! It's ignorant and in bad taste!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)