Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ATHERTON (KPIX 5) – Vandals have targeted one of the Bay Area’s wealthiest communities and their handiwork has gotten the attention of the FBI.

Last Sunday, multi-million dollar homes in Atherton had offensive graffiti sprayed on them. The graffiti was found on walls, fences and even a car.

Many of the messages said “F*** the 1%,” a reference to the income inequality between the top one percent of Americans and the rest of the population.

“It’s terrible,” said one neighbor who identified herself as Diane. “Yeah, it’s a terrible thing to do and to be here in town.”

“We go out and collect evidence and interview neighbors,” said Atherton Police Lt. Joe Wade. “We look for anything we can to lead us to the person who did this.”

One of the writings had a more threatening tone: “kill people.”

Neighbors are on the fence about who did it: Occupy protesters, gang members or teens with time to kill.”

“I don’t have this generation child but I can’t imagine them doing this,” said homeowner Carol Burke. “I think it is someone with an ax to grind.”

“As long as nobody was hurt is the main thing,” said Diane. “And you can always cover it up. “

Atherton Police say it is consulting with other agencies, including the FBI, in an effort to find the vandals. The FBI monitors activist movements such as Occupy Wall Street.

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Replies (211-216):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Yes, she did.  I pointed it out.  She contradcited herself several times.

Quoting nb34:

Actually, she didn't, it was obvious what she was talking about.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Nah, you contradicted yourself but its ok.

Quoting timeforprogress: No I stated the pendulum of power was swinging in one direction, Anne now it is going back in the other direction.
Quoting Debmomto2girls: Lol... I did read it. Half of your "premises" in the first response stated the rich are gaining more power and the second one stated "the rich as a class is losing power"... Which is it?
Quoting timeforprogress: Try reading it again and taking sometime to process my response as a whole.
Quoting Debmomto2girls: You just contradicted yourself. Your previous post stated how powerful the rich are. Now they aren't? Make up your mind.
Quoting timeforprogress:

Everyone else is getting poorer as a class.  Your poor anecdotal argument does not negate that fact. 

The rich as a class had been losing power.  Historically, they have been far more powerful in the past.  Example: Slavery and indentured servitude use to be more prevalent.  Other references include the Feudal societies of Europe, and the Gilded Age in American history.  Labor gained power in Europe, some Asian countries, and the in the United States during the last century.  Anti-trust laws, financial regulations, greater access to education and labor protection laws were all outcomes of last great financial crash that followed the Gilded age.  Those things are being diminished.  

Our prisons have only recently been privatized.  We have even privatized war fighting.  

The majority of people do not think for themselves.  This has been demonstrated repeatedly in social psychology experiments.  Corporations hire social psychologist.  

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting timeforprogress:

First, I looked all the information available to me through independent media sources, knowledge about human nature, and personal experience.  Next I applied my critical thinking skills.  

Premise 1: Rich are getting richer. - I'm sure they do.  They do not get rich by being stupid with money.

Premise 2: Everyone else is getting poorer. - No, they aren't. I am far from the 1% but because of continuing my education, dh's job promotions and hard work we only make more moeny each year not less

Premise 3: Rich are gaining power and influence around the globe.- THat has always been the way 

Premise 4: Everyone else is losing power and influence.again - nothing new

Premise 5: Rich are using media to manipulate public opinion and influence                 elections. 

Premise 6: Rich that make money off of war who are in position to cause war have involved us in perpetual war against civilian targets.

Premise 7: Rich that make money from police and prisons have control over        

legislation. 

Nothing you said is new or different. This has always been the way.

Premise 9: Media is used by wealthy to demonize unions who give working class ability to lobby. 

Premise 10: Media is used by wealthy to distract population from reality of unchecked corporatism.   - I do not know about you but the media doesn't distract people.  People can think.

Conclusion:  Wealthy are abusing system in order to make themselves wealthier.  And their are plenty of poor people who abuse the welfare system and make resources for those truly in need limited.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

How do you know they abuse the system?

Quoting timeforprogress:

The fact that they abuse the system in order to make themselves richer at the detriment of the rest of the nation and the rest of the world.  

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

What makes you think they don't care about anyone but themselves?

Quoting RandRMomma: Yeah. I'm having trouble feeling bad for people that don't care about anyone but themselves.
Quoting timeforprogress:

I see houses, fences, places of businesses, street signs, sidewalks, bridges spray painted all the time with all kinds of colorful sayings.  

The graffiti said Kill people not kill them.  They maybe saying that the 1% kill people. I think calling in the FBI is ridiculous.  I just can't seem to feel an ounce of sympathy for these people.  Paint over it and move on with your life just like the rest of us.  

Quoting jcrew6:

I have lived in low income areas, wealthy gated commuinities and areas in between...  None of the areas had homes (with people living in them) spray painted.  Especially ones that say "Fuck ______"(the segment of society living there) or kill them.  

Welcome to the reality of the rest of America?  Wow.  I feel sorry for you.

Quoting timeforprogress:

Oh noes the wealthy are having to deal with some graffiti in their precious neighborhoods.

Welcome to the reality of the rest of America.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM

!% is closer to the bottom than to the top 0.4%- keep working and watch how you really break that barrier (not), been there, done that, for the last 35 years, in 2 lucrative careers. In the US, working is not where the money is-

Quoting btamilee:

What?  Where in my post that you quoted did I say ANYTHING about capital gains or loopholes?  I was simply stating the experiences that my husband and I have had throughout our careers.  I feel we have *truly* gotten ahead.  We may not be in the top 1%, but because of hard work and sacrifice...we have been able to build up to living comfortably.  I don't agree with people scamming the system....be it not paying the taxes that they should OR living off the system and expecting others to work to support them!  One is not better than the other...

Quoting Sisteract:

Why should capical gains be treated differently than earnings? Why should there be loopholes that allow some to avoid paying taxes on certain parts of their money? Workers will never truly get ahead in this system. Workers have no power to affect policies made. And the 1% is not really the issue. It's the top 0.4% that is.

Quoting btamilee:

I think hard work, builds character!  My situation is somewhat similar to yours.  It has taken my husband 25 years of hard work and sacrifice to get to where he is now, and I don't feel its necessary to apologize for the money we have!  Working hard for success....should not be associated with the word *thief*.  As far as I am concerned the top 1% owe the rest of us....nothing. 

Quoting VooDooB:

When my husband and I first got married, we were barely getting by. Within a year, he got a promotion at work, killed it, got another promotion, knocked it out of the water again, and just this last year he got a 3rd promtion in 9 years. He's doing great and you know what? He's only going to do better in time. We are far from the 1% but we're getting up there, we want to be there, and we have no shame in that. DH is a hard-working go-getter who puts in 70 hour weeks more than 40. He's earning his success and I'll stick my foot up anyone's ass who says he's a theif.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I like making money.  My dh and I work very hard to earn what we earn. I am very, very far from the top 1% but we make well-above average.  I have no shame in admitting I like earning the alary that I do. I think it is wrong to assume that because these people are wealthy means they are selfish.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Actually.....I have been working for 35 years, so I also have been there, and done that!    For my family...working has been and always will be the way to go, we may not be in the top percentage, but we are also not at the bottom.  There is something good to be said for a strong work ethic...at least that has been my personal experience. 

Quoting Sisteract:

!% is closer to the bottom than to the top 0.4%- keep working and watch how you really break that barrier (not), been there, done that, for the last 35 years, in 2 lucrative careers. In the US, working is not where the money is-

Quoting btamilee:

What?  Where in my post that you quoted did I say ANYTHING about capital gains or loopholes?  I was simply stating the experiences that my husband and I have had throughout our careers.  I feel we have *truly* gotten ahead.  We may not be in the top 1%, but because of hard work and sacrifice...we have been able to build up to living comfortably.  I don't agree with people scamming the system....be it not paying the taxes that they should OR living off the system and expecting others to work to support them!  One is not better than the other...

Quoting Sisteract:

Why should capical gains be treated differently than earnings? Why should there be loopholes that allow some to avoid paying taxes on certain parts of their money? Workers will never truly get ahead in this system. Workers have no power to affect policies made. And the 1% is not really the issue. It's the top 0.4% that is.

Quoting btamilee:

I think hard work, builds character!  My situation is somewhat similar to yours.  It has taken my husband 25 years of hard work and sacrifice to get to where he is now, and I don't feel its necessary to apologize for the money we have!  Working hard for success....should not be associated with the word *thief*.  As far as I am concerned the top 1% owe the rest of us....nothing. 

Quoting VooDooB:

When my husband and I first got married, we were barely getting by. Within a year, he got a promotion at work, killed it, got another promotion, knocked it out of the water again, and just this last year he got a 3rd promtion in 9 years. He's doing great and you know what? He's only going to do better in time. We are far from the 1% but we're getting up there, we want to be there, and we have no shame in that. DH is a hard-working go-getter who puts in 70 hour weeks more than 40. He's earning his success and I'll stick my foot up anyone's ass who says he's a theif.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I like making money.  My dh and I work very hard to earn what we earn. I am very, very far from the top 1% but we make well-above average.  I have no shame in admitting I like earning the alary that I do. I think it is wrong to assume that because these people are wealthy means they are selfish.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM

So ... having money is bad ... wanting money or being jealous and envious of people with money isn't??

Sorry, but in the Biblical sense, there is no difference between someone who has money and loves it or someone who wants money so they can love it. None at all.

Quoting RandRMomma: I have no reason to "hate on," or show "disdain" towards people that spend their time coming up with ways to make themselves richer, and evade paying taxes, at the hands of the middle and working classes. It's not because they're rich; it's because they're greedy thieves. I'm no Christian, but the bible did get one thing right: the love of money is the root of all evil.
Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting RandRMomma: I didn't say I hated them. I said I have a problem feeling sorry for people that don't care about others. Don't put words in my mouth.
Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting RandRMomma: Yeah. I'm having trouble feeling bad for people that don't care about anyone but themselves.
Quoting timeforprogress:

I see houses, fences, places of businesses, street signs, sidewalks, bridges spray painted all the time with all kinds of colorful sayings.  

The graffiti said Kill people not kill them.  They maybe saying that the 1% kill people. I think calling in the FBI is ridiculous.  I just can't seem to feel an ounce of sympathy for these people.  Paint over it and move on with your life just like the rest of us.  

Quoting jcrew6:

I have lived in low income areas, wealthy gated commuinities and areas in between...  None of the areas had homes (with people living in them) spray painted.  Especially ones that say "Fuck ______"(the segment of society living there) or kill them.  

Quoting timeforprogress:

Oh noes the wealthy are having to deal with some graffiti in their precious neighborhoods.

Do you personally know these people? I happen to know some 1% and they are super nice, well educated awesome people. The guy was an entrepreneur when he opened his business and it just took off. Hating on people just because they have a nicer house or more money is just as bad as hating on poor people just because they are poor! It's ignorant and in bad taste!
I said hate on=show disdain for. But whatever, still in bad taste to assume that people don't care about others because they are rich. Or am I missing something and that is not the reason why you think they don't care about anyone else

RandRMomma
by Maya on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:42 AM
No. I'm not jealous of them, nor am I envious. I love my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Being rich isn't on my bucket list.

In the biblical sense? Ha! That's why Jesus asked the rich man to sell all he had and follow him?!

What are you sorry about? I said the love of money is the root of all evil.

Quoting Farmlady09:

So ... having money is bad ... wanting money or being jealous and envious of people with money isn't??

Sorry, but in the Biblical sense, there is no difference between someone who has money and loves it or someone who wants money so they can love it. None at all.

Quoting RandRMomma: I have no reason to "hate on," or show "disdain" towards people that spend their time coming up with ways to make themselves richer, and evade paying taxes, at the hands of the middle and working classes. It's not because they're rich; it's because they're greedy thieves. I'm no Christian, but the bible did get one thing right: the love of money is the root of all evil.
Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting RandRMomma: I didn't say I hated them. I said I have a problem feeling sorry for people that don't care about others. Don't put words in my mouth.
Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting timeforprogress:

Do you personally know these people? I happen to know some 1% and they are super nice, well educated awesome people. The guy was an entrepreneur when he opened his business and it just took off. Hating on people just because they have a nicer house or more money is just as bad as hating on poor people just because they are poor! It's ignorant and in bad taste!
I said hate on=show disdain for. But whatever, still in bad taste to assume that people don't care about others because they are rich. Or am I missing something and that is not the reason why you think they don't care about anyone else

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:40 AM

I'm not the one that brought up the Bible ~ but in this instance I did reply. Those who DO envy or hate those who are rich are just as wrong as those who are ... according to the Bible. I figure that everyone who doesn't understand our funny money system along with those who don't quite get or follow world finances are in for a rather rude awakening pretty soon.

Quoting RandRMomma: No. I'm not jealous of them, nor am I envious. I love my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Being rich isn't on my bucket list. In the biblical sense? Ha! That's why Jesus asked the rich man to sell all he had and follow him?! What are you sorry about? I said the love of money is the root of all evil.
Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting Healthystart30:
Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting timeforprogress:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)