Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Child Abuse? 17-Year-Old Drops After Eating Only Chicken Nuggets Since Age 2

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM
  • 105 Replies

Stacey Irvine looks surprisingly well for a 17-year-old who's eaten only chicken nuggetssince she was 2. But when she recently went to the hospital after passing out from struggling to breathe, doctors told her that she absolutely had to eat more healthily.

"She's been told in no uncertain terms that she will die if she carries on like this, but Stacey says she can't eat anything else," her mom, Evonne, told U.K.'s Daily Mail. "It breaks my heart to see her eating those damned nuggets. I am at my wit's end. I'm praying she can be helped before it's too late."

Stacey claims never to have tasted fruits or vegetables, but admits to sometimes eating fries and toast. "McDonald's chicken nuggets are my favorite," said Stacey. "I share 20 with my boyfriend, with [fries]." She also enjoys nuggets from KFC and the supermarket. 

Evonne says her two younger children eat normally, and that she's tried depriving Stacey of food to force her to expand her repertoire.

In the hospital, Stacey was injected with much-needed vitamins and doctors found that she suffered from anaemia and inflamed veins on her tongue due to her obsessive diet. 

It's hard to imagine that in the 15 years since Stacey tasted her first nugget at McDonald's, her mom has been unable to influence her to eat the minimal level of nutrients necessary to sustain a human being. Do you think this level of leniency qualifies as abuse? How have you gotten your kids to expand beyond their comfort foods?

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/01/27/child-abuse-17-year-old-drops-after-eating-only-chicken-nuggets-age-2?cmpid=foodinc-fb

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM
4 moms liked this

"Stacey claims never to have tasted fruits or vegetables"

This makes me sick. This is definitely child abuse...in the form of stupidity. From the age of 2 .... someone had to be taking her / bringing her home McDonalds.  I have a 3yo and I (just like most mothers) am quite familiar with the "toddler food strikes." They will eat what you give them when they're hungry enough. These parents should be ashamed. Hopefully this stubborn & spoiled young lady takes the doctor's advice and starts getting some fruits and veggies in her daily diet.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:13 AM
7 moms liked this

So, her mother gave her nuggets as a baby and toddler?  The fact she has never tasted a vegetable or fruit speaks volumes about the parenting.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this
What the hell is wrong with people if she stopped buying it when she was little she would have eatenother things
lga1965
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM
5 moms liked this

Her Mom has been taking her to McDonalds since she was 2. ( I assume she hasn't been driving herself) So....I blame her Mom. She's stupid and irresponsible.  She must not be cooking at home. Most Moms cook actual meals at home and the family sits at the table and eats these average meals,right? WHat is WRONG with that family that results in  a girl eating  only McDonalds crap since age 2?

Unbelievable !

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM
8 moms liked this

20/20 (I think) recently had an episode regarding bizarre afflictions people had. They had on a woman who had something similar only this woman had only eaten french fries....never a protein, fruit or vegetable in her life.  I was astounded that her bloodwork showed up as normal, that she was seemingly healthy.

Anyway, this isn't just a matter of a picky eater.  To her, all other food literally looked and tasted inedible.  She said it would be like looking at a stick and being forced to eat it.  They tried to get her to eat a few grains of rice on camera, something that she barely managed and was obviously incredibly difficult for her.

This is something above and beyond being a picky eater...there is obviously something wired really wrong in her brain.

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM
9 moms liked this

If she can't eat anything but chicken nuggets and occasional fries and toast, she sounds like she needs a mental health evaluation.  This is an eating disorder of some sort and this girl needs help.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Not for a 2yo. A 3yo. A 4yo. They don't have eating disorders. I disagree - I think this is a case of a spoiled, entitled brat.

Now when she got older;...sure. I can see it turning into a mental thing. But this issue was "created" by lazy parents.

Quoting romalove:

If she can't eat anything but chicken nuggets and occasional fries and toast, she sounds like she needs a mental health evaluation.  This is an eating disorder of some sort and this girl needs help.

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

Not for a 2yo. A 3yo. A 4yo. They don't have eating disorders. I disagree - I think this is a case of a spoiled, entitled brat.

Now when she got older;...sure. I can see it turning into a mental thing. But this issue was "created" by lazy parents.

Quoting romalove:

She is 17.  She is old enough to be reasoned with.  If she cannot be reasoned with to the point that her eating is potentially life threatening, she needs mental help, regardless of parents who likely were enablers.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I can see that.

My point was when she was a young child this was not a case of mental illness. Maybe it morphed into that as she got older. Or perhaps she's completely sane and is just a spoiled brat.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting romalove:

She is 17.  She is old enough to be reasoned with.  If she cannot be reasoned with to the point that her eating is potentially life threatening, she needs mental help, regardless of parents who likely were enablers.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Its not abuse, it's neglect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN