Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Child Abuse? 17-Year-Old Drops After Eating Only Chicken Nuggets Since Age 2

Posted by   + Show Post

Stacey Irvine looks surprisingly well for a 17-year-old who's eaten only chicken nuggetssince she was 2. But when she recently went to the hospital after passing out from struggling to breathe, doctors told her that she absolutely had to eat more healthily.

"She's been told in no uncertain terms that she will die if she carries on like this, but Stacey says she can't eat anything else," her mom, Evonne, told U.K.'s Daily Mail. "It breaks my heart to see her eating those damned nuggets. I am at my wit's end. I'm praying she can be helped before it's too late."

Stacey claims never to have tasted fruits or vegetables, but admits to sometimes eating fries and toast. "McDonald's chicken nuggets are my favorite," said Stacey. "I share 20 with my boyfriend, with [fries]." She also enjoys nuggets from KFC and the supermarket. 

Evonne says her two younger children eat normally, and that she's tried depriving Stacey of food to force her to expand her repertoire.

In the hospital, Stacey was injected with much-needed vitamins and doctors found that she suffered from anaemia and inflamed veins on her tongue due to her obsessive diet. 

It's hard to imagine that in the 15 years since Stacey tasted her first nugget at McDonald's, her mom has been unable to influence her to eat the minimal level of nutrients necessary to sustain a human being. Do you think this level of leniency qualifies as abuse? How have you gotten your kids to expand beyond their comfort foods?

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/01/27/child-abuse-17-year-old-drops-after-eating-only-chicken-nuggets-age-2?cmpid=foodinc-fb

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Replies (101-105):
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:32 AM
I bet she wasn't getting chicken nuggets in the hospital. If the hospital thought she wouldn't stop they could consider it a threat to her health and putting herself in danger and institutionalize her until she was eating other food.
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:36 AM
1 mom liked this
So the kid was eating normal other foods until 2.

Quoting LIMom1105: There are many disorders that weren't identified ten, twenty, thirty years ago. That doesnt mean they didn't exist.

Why would someone feed only one child chicken nuggets but her other children eat ordinary foods?

Quoting VooDooB: Doesn't it seem odd that this "disorder" didn't even exist a generation ago and beyond?Quoting LIMom1105: You don't know what you're talking about, though you think you do. Most people don't understand it unless they have seen it. It is a disorder, not ordinary picky eating. Doesn't it seem odd her other children eat normally? Quoting VooDooB: You're right. It doesn't work for kids. Nowdays. With the entitled generation.Quoting LIMom1105: Yes there is a lot of advice. But it doesn't work for some kids. Quoting VooDooB: I disagree. Especially in this day and age, there are many resources for "the picky toddler". There are entire books and websites dedicated to the tricks of "hiding" healthy fruits and veggies in breads. Smoothies. Even cookies.Toddlers have been around as long as the world has. Historically, they eat what their parents tell them to eat. There was no trips to fast food 60, 50, 40 years ago. I remember my dad telling me stories as a kid - he wasn't allowed to leave the table until he ate his peas. He'd sit there until his bones were stiff and finally ate the damn peas. Kids are growing up in a very entitled world right now and parents are dropping the ball, big time.Quoting ABCMomma0211: Not all toddlers are like yours.

My daughter will refuse to eat what i put in front if her. No matter how hungry she is.

She went through strikes, and her doctor has point blank said "just feed her, its a phase, as long as shes eating shes fine."

Quoting VooDooB:

"Stacey claims never to have tasted fruits or vegetables"

This makes me sick. This is definitely child abuse...in the form of stupidity. From the age of 2 .... someone had to be taking her / bringing her home McDonalds.  I have a 3yo and I (just like most mothers) am quite familiar with the "toddler food strikes." They will eat what you give them when they're hungry enough. These parents should be ashamed. Hopefully this stubborn & spoiled young lady takes the doctor's advice and starts getting some fruits and veggies in her daily diet.

1Boy1Girl1Apart
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Even if she did, 2 is when she got hooked on nothing but nuggets so that is when her mother should have cut them out and gave her other things. She could have curved her bad eating habits back then. Then she wouldn't be in this situation. That is why it's the mother's fault

Quoting sha_lyn68:

So she ate nothing for the first 2 years of her life? Mmmm no, more like she doesn't remember trying fruits and vegetables.

Quoting 1Boy1Girl1Apart: Okay, but this was her first child. She could have learned her lesson with the first and fed her younger 2 right. I know that sounds odd, but that is what I am lead to believe since the girl said she has never tasted fruits or vegetables.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Considering the mother said her other 2 children eat "normal" foods it certainly doesn't sound like the mother wasn't offering nutritious foods.

Quoting 1Boy1Girl1Apart: I agree. It's neglect. If her mother couldn't take the time to cook (or buy if she had to) nutritious meals than she had no business having a child in the first place! Any kid would probably eat nothing but mcdonalds if you let them, but you don't! That's because it uis your responsibility to feed your child healthy foods... This is not the girl's fault, it's her mothers.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Its not abuse, it's neglect.

baileymarie723
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Actually a child as young as 3 can have an eating disorder, but in this case I agree that it wasn't one because the girl obviously couldn't drive herself to McDonads, KFC, or the grocery store to get chicken nuggets.

Quoting VooDooB:

Not for a 2yo. A 3yo. A 4yo. They don't have eating disorders. I disagree - I think this is a case of a spoiled, entitled brat.

Now when she got older;...sure. I can see it turning into a mental thing. But this issue was "created" by lazy parents.

Quoting romalove:

If she can't eat anything but chicken nuggets and occasional fries and toast, she sounds like she needs a mental health evaluation.  This is an eating disorder of some sort and this girl needs help.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM

It's not abuse, but her mom is an idiot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)