Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

HSP-Henoch Schonlein Purpura condition-anyone heard of it?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 6-year old was just diagnosed with this condtion after she had bad stomach pains, and 2 days later, developed red bruise-like marks all over her legs. It has now spread to her arms, and her hand and knees have been swollen on seperate days. Every night before bed, she cannot walk on her legs and I have to carry her to bed. I've found limited info on the internet about this, and her doctor said it's not uncommon, but very rare and should go away within 4-6 weeks. I would just like to talk with another parent that has had to suffer through this....it's agonizing watching my little girl cry every night becasue she can't stand on her legs (otherwise, she is fine though...thank goodness). Also, if you know of a more appropriate board to post this on, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry.  I hope she gets better.  Praying. 

dodgerfan71
by New Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

TranquilMind....thank you so much :)

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

How scary,  I am so sorry you and she have to go through this.  I hope she gets better soon.

vbway
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
No experience with this. But my DD had a severe case of Severs. She couldn't walk for a few weeks. We used a wheelchair for her and then she had to get walking casts on both feet. It was very stressful. She would cry all night because of the pain. Thankfully almost a year later she is better. She is 8. I hope your DD feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Is she on any medication?  It appears that aspirin and colchicine are helpful.

http://www.ima.org.il/FilesUpload/IMAJ/0/62/31414.pdf

Colchicine is a gout medicine.  But cherry juice and cherries are natural gout medicines too.   You want pure cherry juice though. Knudsen is a good brand.  It can be sweet or tart cherries.  

Call your pedi and ask if you can administer baby aspirin to her and give him the url to read.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dodgerfan71:

My 6-year old was just diagnosed with this condtion after she had bad stomach pains, and 2 days later, developed red bruise-like marks all over her legs. It has now spread to her arms, and her hand and knees have been swollen on seperate days. Every night before bed, she cannot walk on her legs and I have to carry her to bed. I've found limited info on the internet about this, and her doctor said it's not uncommon, but very rare and should go away within 4-6 weeks. I would just like to talk with another parent that has had to suffer through this....it's agonizing watching my little girl cry every night becasue she can't stand on her legs (otherwise, she is fine though...thank goodness). Also, if you know of a more appropriate board to post this on, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

I had it, when I was a child.  The only memory I have is what my mother told me later, about it having been important for me not to move around much during the period I had it.

It is quite serious, I do know that.   *hugs* You and your daughter are in my thoughts.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest had it when he was somewhere around 7. Poor guy was in pain, much like your daughter. That was the first I had ever heard of it and I have never heard anyone I know that has had it. it did go away within 2 eeks/weeks and a half, and the severity lessened as time passed. 

I'm sorry she is suffering :(

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of this.

I'm so sorry your little one is suffering.  

Prayers that she recovers soon.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

So sorry- hang in there, keep her comfortable and occupied :)

I don't know much about it, other than I recall it in my NP program. I reading about it, the main concern is potential kidney involvement, so watch for low urine output.

these things are scary, but hand in there. I remember I flipped out when my son got Scarlet fever, I thought it didn't exist anymore but it's pretty common.

StreetsAhead
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I had it a 19. (Which is really really rare and has further complications attached to it)
The pain is mostly due to arthritis (so iprobufen is a really good painkiller for that (or other NSAID)
Remember to get your doctor to do kidney tests (just urine I remember) and to do the routinely for a few months after other symptoms have gone.

I remember it being hideous but after a few weeks I was fine.
If you want me to remember anymore - just ask (I had it 6 years ago)

Quoting dodgerfan71:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)