Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This Anti-Feminism Campaign Is Really Sad

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM
  • 412 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you believe we still need Feminism?

Options:

YES, explain

No, explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 281

View Results

anti-feminism-campaign

Do you believe we still need Feminism? Why Why not?

I  bet  you  make  your  daddy  proud

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM
7 moms liked this
We no longer have a need for feminism actually we never did.
4music
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:31 PM
7 moms liked this

I believe women still deserve (as if we should have to ask for it) equality - socially, politically, economically...etc.

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
mcdun
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM
23 moms liked this

I suppose women never needed the right to vote either.

Quoting candlegal: We no longer have a need for feminism actually we never did.

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this
That's what you got out of that, wow. Not surprised though.

Quoting mcdun:

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM
13 moms liked this
So you really don't want honest answers, you just want people that are going to agree with you.
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM
11 moms liked this

Well- I'm not a feminist. I do however believe in equality.

I've never been a feminist in the sense of how I think of feminists- sort of rude and ruthless...

I do appreciate everything the feminists stand for though, and we wouldn't have the rights we do today as a result. Voting, etc (Lichtenstein just got the right to vote for women in 1982, I first voted in 1983, that is amazing to me!)

I still see such a gap. I sit on a council for boy scouts, and REALLY hate the way women are treated. That is truly a male peacock world, and even the highest ranking woman in the room is treated badly and ignored. THAT to me is unacceptable. Unfortunately, in order to address it at times we need to become bold and outspoken... then we are labeled as a "bitch"... well, so be it then. Sad though. Not sure if it will ever change.

My good friend now is the treasurer for a BSA district, she is really nice, however in these meetings has to be a total bitch or no one listens, then the cycle perpetuates itself. The men question her abilities and credentials, when some of the men have never even balanced a budget or gone to college. She has an MBA and a CPA and has managed millions- this is a pittance in comparison. Many men just assume women aren't competent because they are women... glad I didn't marry one like that :)

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM
3 moms liked this
I have never felt that I have been treated less than Equally

Quoting 4music:

I believe women still deserve (as if we should have to ask for it) equality - socially, politically, economically...etc.

mcdun
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:40 PM
13 moms liked this

By saying you're not surprised are you trying to insult me or are you actually acknowledging what a stupid statment you made? 

Quoting candlegal: That's what you got out of that, wow. Not surprised though.
Quoting mcdun:

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not surprised that you completely misinterpreted what I said.

Quoting mcdun:

By saying you're not surprised are you trying to insult me or are you actually acknowledging what a stupid statment you made? 

Quoting candlegal: That's what you got out of that, wow. Not surprised though.

Quoting mcdun:

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM
39 moms liked this

No, I don't. 

While people insist that any problems with feminism is the result of a minority, that has not been my experience. In my experience, the vast majority of women who claim to be "feminist" generally don't want equality, they want superiority or vengeance for wrongs men have done them. For instance, few women want to have to sign up for the selective service, but they think women should be allowed into every position in the army. Women tend to think that women should be able to get more time off for 'female issues' like PMS or that any time your child is sick that should be your business' priority or they should "understanding" and not punish you by paying you less even though you take more time off than others (generally men). Even in the wake of several recent stories where it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that women can and do lie about rape, I have yet to meet a "feminist" who will even discuss the issue of false rape charges...let alone discuss the issue fairly. Instead I just get screamed at that I'm not feminist and that I'm "victim blaming/bashing" and a horrible person (because I want to talk about about the innocent men who have their entire lives ruined by false charges and the stigma of being labled even a potential rapist). Look at all the women that call themselves feminist that actively oppose women having choice (abortion). Some "ardent feminists" have argued bitterly with me that men should not have paternal rights when it comes to placing a child for adoption. To them, women should be able to make that decision 100% alone as well. 

These are just a few instances of many many many that new-wave, second wave or whatever you want to call them, feminists have proven that it's no longer about equality, let alone supporting each other as women. 

We got the right to vote, to own property, to get an education, to divorce. Many of the "rights" that women are denied now are denied as much by women as by men. If feminism was truly about equality it would make concessions, it does not. It would be for the rights of men when it comes to being fathers. They generally are not. If it were about equality, equal weight would be given to male victims (falsely accused of rape) as the female ones, as both are devastated and have their lives forever changed by rape. But they aren't. 

While there were other socio-economic facts that have pushed women out of the home, feminism basically devalued motherhood. It became a choice and then a weak or lazy choice to many feminists. If you weren't out getting a degree or going up a career ladder, if you "only" wanted to be a "housewife" or mother then you were ungrateful for what your grandmother/mother worked for and were holding "feminism" and women back. You weren't "fulfilling" your full female potential. I think if there had been more protection for the ideals of family, maybe lots of women who want to be full time mothers wouldn't now be forced into the work place because of this feminist-pushed ideal that changed from women can work to women should work.  

Feminists blame everything on the "evil patriarchal society", such as how apparently it's all men's fault that women have to wear makeup or 'look pretty' or pluck their eyebrows. I've NEVER been disrespected by a man for not plucking my eyebrows (none have even noticed) or not wearing makeup. I've been "dissed" and glared at and insulted by dozens of women however. I think any women will tell you that it's far more intimidating to walk into a room full of other women than into a room full of men. Women give you that sizing up stare to figure out if you're dressed better or look prettier than they do. It's women who tend to be women's biggest critic. Will you hear "feminists" admit this? Of course not. It's all men's fault.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN