Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ideally women should strive to be educated and independent, financially able to support themselves. *NOT talking about SAHMS*

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 120 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is a spin off from the post asking whether or not we still need feminism.

One reason why we still need it is because there are so many women who still for whatever reason are not able or do not want to be in control of their own lives. They would rather get pregnant and either trap a man into paying child support or have the government support them, because they do not want to finish their educations and/or work to support themselves.  

I am not talking about all women or all unwed mothers, etc.  I am only talking about the women previously described.

We need feminism to empower the next generations of young women.  Ideally they would strive to be educated and independent, financially able to support themselves.

ETA:

This has nothing to do with women who do achieve these things and then lose their jobs, become disabled, or have any other misfortune.  OBVIOUSLY those things and others can happen.

This also has nothing to do with women who have achieved these things and then, along with their husbands, decide to become SAHMS.

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

bump/place holder to add info

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

This has nothing to do with women who do achieve these things and then lose their jobs, become disabled, or have any other misfortune.  OBVIOUSLY those things and others can happen.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

This also has nothing to do with women who have achieved these things and then, along with their husbands, decide to become SAHMS.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

So how do you think we fix this?

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM
4 moms liked this
You are seriously obsessed...

Why does it matter to you whether a woman works or stays home? I don't understand your hang up and it seems to be ALL you ever post about.

I don't even know why I came in this post. Carry on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM
4 moms liked this

The women who trap men and live off the system don't have enough self respect to get on board with feminism so it wouldn't change anything. Ideally ALL humans should strive to be self supporting and independent, male and female.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM
12 moms liked this

If this is the life they choose for themselves, then this is the life they choose.

Feminism is about each individual woman making her own choices and deciding what type of life she wants to lead, whether that is deemed a good path or not.  Feminism isn't about forcing women to take advantage of the opportunities available, it's about making those opportunities available to those that choose to explore them. 

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM
6 moms liked this

And this is the exact hypocrisy and problem that I described on the other post. Once again, where it shifts from feminism fighting for choice, to feminists basically mandating that every woman work outside the home and demeaning those who choose not to.

Not all women want higher education, or a degree.
Not all women want a career.
Not all women want to work period.

Some women want to be at home.
Some women feel that it's important to be at home once you have children.
Some women like to make their spouse feel important and to pamper him.

None of that is wrong or lazy or makes them less of a woman.

You're judging so hard, which I also mentioned (that women are sometimes the most judgey and rude) and yet I'm sure you turn around and blame MEN for all of this and that it's only men who judge.  

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
5 moms liked this

I hear what you're saying...a man is not a plan...and i agree with that.

But what is really important to me is that all women be able to achieve their goals, whether they are financial independence, or to be submissive wife, to have a successful, family-free professional career, or to enjoy every waking moment of their child's development. 

lga1965
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM
5 moms liked this

That is one excellent reason for feminism but I bet the girls and young women who would rather have a baby and hopefully get married will reject feminism as a bunch of women who are *itches". Know what I mean?  Sad, but true.

I think young women need parents who encourage them to be  educated ( college) independent and able to take care of themselves before they get married. Then marriage will mean a whole lot more than just a financial arrangement. And children born in a marriage of  equals will thrive and be successful in their futures. Marriage is healthier when two people are equal and respect each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN