Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher fired for filming autistic boy stuck in chair;

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM
  • 97 Replies

Teacher fired for filming autistic boy stuck in chair;

autistic-student-stuck-in-chair.png
(screen shot)

Welcome to the Daily Buzz, a quick and pithy rundown of the stories people are talking about:

Cellphone video of autistic boy, 10, stuck in classroom chair gets teacher fired (with video)

This much is for sure: The boy, age 10, has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism. His teacher at Oaktree Elementary in Goodrich, Mich., has been fired by the school board, but the teacher is appealing.

The principal, who also has been accused, has resigned. All because a cellphone video shows the students with his head stuck in a classroom chair.

And what really has people scratching their heads is the fact that it was the fired teacher -- fifth grade instructor Nicole McVey -- who shot the video of her own student in distress.

Did she think it was funny? The boy’s attorney says yes.

Find out more facts on the case and watch the video here.

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Im so glad

greenie63
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM
This video made me ill. She actually said " do you want to be tasered. " She doesn't need to be in a classroom when her first priority should be keeping the children safe. I'm glad she was fired.
skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Holy shit! Why is it that the first course of action in so many everyday life events is to threaten violence? This is the poster child for education reform.
ksbondgirl
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM
3 moms liked this

To actually spend time FILMING the incident but not getting the boy out should be a HUGE RED FLAG!!

She has been relived of her job but not her pay.  She need to give that pay back to the district or the boy's family.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Who filmed this and did not help that boy?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Added: I know it says who filmed it.  I can't comprehend not doing anything to help this boy.

This is sickening.

She deserves to be fired.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Quoting greenie63: This video made me ill. She actually said " do you want to be tasered. " She doesn't need to be in a classroom when her first priority should be keeping the children safe. I'm glad she was fired.

Whaat? That's just crazy. Was the boy crying?
Mommabearbergh
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
She shouldn't have recorded it and just helped him out but he shouldn't have been playing inside when he knew the rules. Even if you are a low functioning person you know what not to do
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I am glad she was finally fired!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM
10 moms liked this
Excuse me? How in the hell do you know he was playing? My son is Autistic and seeks out tight spaces. That isn't him playing. ANY child that is stuck in something like a chair or hurt in any way should be HELPED by the teacher not humiliated and treated like an animal!

And your comment about "low-functioning" persons is bullshit. My son is high functioning and doesn't understand most of society's "rules".

Quoting Mommabearbergh: She shouldn't have recorded it and just helped him out but he shouldn't have been playing inside when he knew the rules. Even if you are a low functioning person you know what not to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)