Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher fired for filming autistic boy stuck in chair;

Teacher fired for filming autistic boy stuck in chair;

autistic-student-stuck-in-chair.png
(screen shot)

Welcome to the Daily Buzz, a quick and pithy rundown of the stories people are talking about:

Cellphone video of autistic boy, 10, stuck in classroom chair gets teacher fired (with video)

This much is for sure: The boy, age 10, has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism. His teacher at Oaktree Elementary in Goodrich, Mich., has been fired by the school board, but the teacher is appealing.

The principal, who also has been accused, has resigned. All because a cellphone video shows the students with his head stuck in a classroom chair.

And what really has people scratching their heads is the fact that it was the fired teacher -- fifth grade instructor Nicole McVey -- who shot the video of her own student in distress.

Did she think it was funny? The boy’s attorney says yes.

Find out more facts on the case and watch the video here.

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Replies (91-97):
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

aspergers is only  a label they give to kids today , shamefully. I can think of people very close to me that would have been labeled that if they were young today.   It is also pretty high functioning and at his age, there should be consequences for what he did and no excuses. He should have known better than to do something like that.  I do not agree with what the teacher did , but I also do not agree with her firing.  Writing her up, fine.  Someone better do something about that kid's behavior too and stop making excuses.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM

All teachers receive some instruction on dealing with special needs students as part of their education. It's a requirement of certification in every state. It's not as in-depth as what a special education teacher would receive, but it should be enough to help them out in these kinds of situations. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh: A great deal of teachers try to get some special needs training. I know quite a few teachers who start off working in special needs classes and do other things. In this day when more kids have IEPs teachers are probably educating themselves to come in contact with different kinds of students
Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Mommabearbergh: People like me. Well people like me are keeping kids like this out of harms way but also holding them accountable for their actions. So that they know if they hit someone they will get in some form of trouble where things and activities will be taken away. If you go against rules there are consequences. Did I say she should be left off the hook nope those words were never written so don't fucking assume you know my feelings. People like me get hit bit and can't defend my self for not so great pay to show these kids you need some accountability. I love my kid and I damn sure don't do human services for the fucking pay. If you don't want to hold your child accountable for their actions then that's on you
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Because people like you are why special needs kids are blamed for their actions and shitty teachers are let off the hook. You claim she should have helped him and then in the same paragraph blame him for getting stuck. Comparing eating cereal for breakfast to a child in a potentially harmful situation is ridiculous.
Quoting Mommabearbergh: Because its says in the news report he was inside playing and got stuck . Also I said she should have helped him not filmed it. Also I work with low functioning girls four days a damn week for ten plus hours and they understand rules like no you should do this or that. They understand if you don't wake up on time you get cereal instead of a muffin. You are under estimating these kids. Not every autistic child is like your kid. I didn't direct my post towards you so why the fuck are you offended Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Excuse me? How in the hell do you know he was playing? My son is Autistic and seeks out tight spaces. That isn't him playing. ANY child that is stuck in something like a chair or hurt in any way should be HELPED by the teacher not humiliated and treated like an animal! And your comment about "low-functioning" persons is bullshit. My son is high functioning and doesn't understand most of society's "rules".
Quoting Mommabearbergh: She shouldn't have recorded it and just helped him out but he shouldn't have been playing inside when he knew the rules. Even if you are a low functioning person you know what not to do

I don't know why some special needs children are put into these classrooms to begin with.  Are these teachers specially trained to teach these students?  Probably not.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting littlelamb303:

aspergers is only  a label they give to kids today , shamefully. I can think of people very close to me that would have been labeled that if they were young today.   It is also pretty high functioning and at his age, there should be consequences for what he did and no excuses. He should have known better than to do something like that.  I do not agree with what the teacher did , but I also do not agree with her firing.  Writing her up, fine.  Someone better do something about that kid's behavior too and stop making excuses.

Aspergers isn't a label. It's a diagnosis. One that only a psychologist can assign to a child or adult. 

Secondly, anyone who thinks that this child should have known better doesn't understand the first thing about autism. Impulse control is a huge issue for most kids on the spectrum, including those who are high functioning. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Mar. 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM

No, they advocate mainstreaming because it's an outlined requirement in the federal IDEA law. 

Quoting scold-01: And why was the child mainstreamed? Either the parents or the school, more than limy the school. They advocate for special needs kids to be mainstreamed. Probably because Michigan doesn't have a lot of funds for special needs rooms, teachers, nor training

littlepinkrose
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I don't think what she did was right.  She should of helped the boy get out of the chair or got someone to help him get out if that is the case and deal with it.  The boy should of been disciplined no doubt he was doing wrong but to humiliate him that was not right.  Special needs or not no one deserves to be humiliated like that it was not o.k.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:07 AM
First of all, Aspergers is not a label. It is a medical diagnosis.

Second of all, stating that an Autistic child "should have know better" shows how little you know about Autism.

Lastly, you should refrain from speaking on such things if you have no clue what you are speaking of.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:36 AM
I refuse to watch the video. Just reading about it pissed me off to no end. That is abuse, and it was cruel. She deserved to be morer than fired. A permanent black mark so that it would be nearly impossible to find another job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)