Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pallet houses

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

Very cool.

This home can be built in one single day!

The Pallet House, by I-Beam Design, was conceived as a transitional shelter for refugees returning to Kosovo.

pallet-06

The pallet house is simply and provides great flexibility in terms of configuration. Each family could build a house based on their needs and size.

01-1

Since the house is made from spare wooden pallets, it is easy to acquire the materials to build the shelter.

pallet-05

Not only that, but the house is very simple. Only basic tools are required to build it.

new-138

You could add on to the house with found materials, such as plastic sheeting or tarps.

emergency-shelter

The pallet houses can even be upgraded to include insulation, heating and cooling.

I-Beam Design provides “IKEA-style assembly instructions” so that anyone can assemble these houses. You don’t need a background in carpentry.

01-2

For only $75, you can buy a pallet house information kit that includes: pdf plans, sections, elevations, photos, diagrams, renderings and a materials & tools list.

01-1

So for less than $100, you can learn how to build a shelter (basically, a house) that is without plumbing but will protect you from the elements. Building a small cabin (or even a treehouse for your children) was never so easy.

Source: I-Beam Design

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sapient.Quaff
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the concept of smaller up cycled dwellings.  I think we are going to see more people moving in that direction world wide. It wouldn't be hard to add gutters and do rainwater collection, nor add on gravity based plumbing.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

As great as these ideas are, and i do think they are great, good luck finding a city with will allow you to live in it. In most cases those things have to go on a trailer bed because they don't meet the minimum square footage require for new construction single family dwellings in most municipalities. Damn the man.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty neat idea. It'd be a great way to build a play house for kids.

tanyainmizzou
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
That is what I was thinking. Playhouse and add electricity and a toilet so he and his friends can spend the night in it.

Quoting meriana:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I was thinking the same thing. They'd love it!

Quoting meriana:

nicoal4
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM

We are building a Cob House and am so excited

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Yeah that looks like it'll stand up to code.  I'll pass.  

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Did a quick search on I-Beam Designs and it's a women owned architecht firm. Kinda makes sense since women are generally better at re-purposing stuff than are men. Just thought it interesting.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Better then living under a bridge or in a cardboard box.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Yeah that looks like it'll stand up to code.  I'll pass.  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Tiny houses for the homeless: an affordable solution catches on

Governments and nonprofits are working together on a practical solution to homelessness through the construction of tiny-house villages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN