Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Economic impact of marriage

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM
  • 38 Replies

Economic Impact

Economic Impact

Married men earn 10-40% more than similar unmarried men.

Marriage is a wealth generating institution. It leads to significant economic benefits for married persons.

• Married people are more productive, have higher incomes, and enjoy more family time than the unmarried. This is due in part to the division and specialization of labor, as spouses each take responsibility for specific tasks. (L Waite and E. Lehrer, The Benefits from Marriage and Religion in the U.S.: A Comparative Analysis, Population and Development Review, Vol 29, No. 2, June 2003, p. 264)
  • Married men earn 10-40% more than similar unmarried men. (David Popenoe and Barbara Whitehead, The State of Our Unions 2005, p.16).
  • Compared to unmarried women, married women without children have higher incomes while married mothers are less likely to live in poverty. (Marriage and the Public Good: Ten Principles, Witherspoon Institute, 2006, p.20)
  • Divorce and unmarried childbearing are related to increased poverty for children and mothers. When parents fail to marry and stay married, children are more likely to experience deep and persistent poverty. Most children growing up outside of intact married families experience at least one year of dire poverty (family incomes less than half the official poverty threshold). Between one fifth and one third of divorced women end up in poverty. (Why Marriage Matters: 26 Conclusions from the Social Sciences, Institute for American Values, 2005, p.19, and The State of Our Unions 2006, p.27)

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Hilarious.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolute truth, statistically. 

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol sounds like people are out to push their agendas again.
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM

What do you find comical?  

I was asked for statistics.  Just becasue you don't like them does not make them wrong, or particularly funny.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Hilarious.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jobseeker:

I was asked for statistics.  Just becasue you don't like them does not make them wrong, or particularly funny.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Hilarious.

I was not referring to the article.

Wrong?  Or not always right because numbers can be skewed and do not take in to account for individual circumstances.

A seemingly perfect picture painted is usually done with the wrong brush.

PamR
by Pam on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

More good reasons for same sex couples to be allowed to marry.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Quoting PamR:

More good reasons for same sex couples to be allowed to marry.

Now, now, that is not at all what this about. 

They do not count.

They have their own set of numbers.

LiveinJoy
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

And while we chat it up and debate these stats there are people who truly need education and wisdom that might never find it. What good are stats if the people whose lives resemble this never gain knowledge or education. What good is the debate while people are out there making horrible life choices spontaneously.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I said before that every rule has an exception.  

Not EVERY child of divorce is doomed (thank GOD) and not every child of married parents has perfect outcomes.  These are generalities.  deal with it

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jobseeker:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Hilarious.

Wrong?  Or not always right because numbers can be skewed and do not take in to account for individual circumstances.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Quoting jobseeker:

I said before that every rule has an exception.  

Not EVERY child of divorce is doomed (thank GOD) and not every child of married parents has perfect outcomes.  These are generalities.  deal with it

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jobseeker:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Hilarious.

It seems that you would be better to deal with it than I.

I am not the one insinuating any one other than those who are in perfect marriages with perfect children are less than.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)