Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Wheat Production

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

Notice anything interesting about the following projections?

I notice several things...

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:07 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

I notice several things...

Firstly, the Ukraine is incredibly fertile.   It gets more tons of wheat out of an acre of land than even the USA manages.

It used to get twice what Russia got.  Russia might have a large land area, but in most of it the soil or temperature isn't suited for food production.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Secondly, the Ukraine has a surplus.  In fact the amount it exports is a significant fraction of the amount that Russia consumes in total.

If the Ukraine suddenly stops all wheat exports to Russia, Russia will go hungry.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

It used to get twice what Russia got.  Russia might have a large land area, but in most of it the soil or temperature isn't suited for food production.

Thirdly, Russia are gearing up to increase their production.  In fact, the projection above shows that, over the next 5 years, Russia is due to increase its own wheat production by precisely the same amount it would lose if it could no longer rely upon wheat from the Ukraine.

Funny coincidence, that.

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Are you saying you think Russia is including in its own projections, Ukraine's projections - with the assumption that they will occupy?

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Clairwil:

Thirdly, Russia are gearing up to increase their production.  In fact, the projection above shows that, over the next 5 years, Russia is due to increase its own wheat production by precisely the same amount it would lose if it could no longer rely upon wheat from the Ukraine.

Funny coincidence, that.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:00 AM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Are you saying you think Russia is including in its own projections, Ukraine's projections - with the assumption that they will occupy?

I guess that's one interpretation.

No, I think Russia is actually increasing food production within its own borders.

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:06 AM

Well, I want them to improve their own capacity- instead of the assumption that they need Ukraine's capacity for Russia and not Ukraine.

Thanks.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SallyMJ:

I guess that's one interpretation.

No, I think Russia is actually increasing food production within its own borders.

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Like many aggressions, then, this is largely driven by resources.

Quoting Clairwil:

Secondly, the Ukraine has a surplus.  In fact the amount it exports is a significant fraction of the amount that Russia consumes in total.

If the Ukraine suddenly stops all wheat exports to Russia, Russia will go hungry.

supermonstermom
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Russia is retaking Crimea because of wheat?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN