Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homeschooling is not a basic right? UPDATE: they can stay

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM
  • 353 Replies
5 moms liked this
Supreme Court rejects asylum bid for German home-schooling family

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey | Religion News Service, Published: March 3

The Supreme Court on Monday (March 3) declined to hear an appeal from a family seeking asylum in the United States because home schooling is not allowed in their native Germany.

The case involves Uwe and Hannelore Romeike, Christians who believe German schools would have a bad influence on their six children. The family’s case became a rallying point for many American Christians.

As is their custom, the justices on the high court declined to give a reason for not hearing the case.

Michael Farris, chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association that represents the family, said the group would pursue legislation in Congress to allow the family to stay. But the Romeikes will likely face deportation.

“The court’s decision is not a decision on the merits of the case — however, it was the last judicial hope for the family,” Farris said in a statement. “Even now, we have been working with supportive members of Congress to introduce legislation that could help the Romeikes and others who flee persecution.”

HSLDA helped the Romeikes leave Germany in 2008 after they were threatened with jail time and losing custody of their children. The Romeikes are evangelical Christians, and say they should be allowed to keep their children home to teach them Christian values.

An immigration judge in Tennessee granted the Romeikes’ bid in 2010, but the Board of Immigration Appeals overturned the ruling in 2012, arguing that religious home-schoolers don’t face any special threats.

The family lost their appeal in federal court in May 2013. The U.S. grants safe haven to people who have a well-founded fear of persecution, but not necessarily to those under governments with laws that differ from those in the U.S., Judge Jeffrey Sutton wrote in the court’s decision.

“The German authorities have not singled out the Romeikes in particular or homeschoolers in general for persecution,” Sutton wrote.

In August 2013, the White House declined to comment on the case in response to an online petition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/supreme-court-rejects-asylum-bid-for-german-home-schooling-family/2014/03/03/06a987e8-a31b-11e3-b865-38b254d92063_story.html

My question is...why this family? Why are people fighting so hard to let illegal immigrants stay in the country but this family, who appears to have done things the right way, are being forced out? I have read a few articles on this family and I have yet to understand why the government is working so hard to make them leave.

*UPDATE* they have been allowed to stay on "indefinite deferred status". They have NOT been granted asylum.
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM
23 moms liked this

Oh so chriistians only support illegal immigrants if they are of germanic herritage and follow christianity. got it.

poietes
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM
20 moms liked this
??? I'm not really sure where you got that. Besides these people came over legally. The government is fighting to declare homeschooling not a basic right there for not covered under asylum. My question was why are they fighting to deport this family who came here legally and fight to keep people who do not? I posted a question that you apparently can't answer. Why get so defensive and rude?

Quoting mikiemom:

Oh so chriistians only support illegal immigrants if they are of germanic herritage and follow christianity. got it.

3JuJu3
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM
19 moms liked this

I agree with everyone's right to homeschool if they are able to provide adequate homeschooling to their kids in the U.S., but I don't necessarily think it's  a basic human right that would deserve asylum.  It's not like these people are going to kill or harm this family because of it.  If we gave asylum to people based on this, then we'd have to open out doors to more EXTREME cases of human rights violations.  It's not that I don't agree with this couple, I just don't think it's serious enough to warrant asylum. 

billsfan1104
by Jules on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
From what I remember, they were here legally, because they were granted aslyum, when they first got here.

Quoting mikiemom:

poietes
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh, I completely agree with you, the title was more to get attention. My real question is why are they fighting so hard to deport this family but fighting equally as hard to keep illegal immigrants?

Quoting 3JuJu3:

I agree with everyone's right to homeschool if they are able to provide adequate homeschooling to their kids in the U.S., but I don't necessarily think it's  a basic human right that would deserve asylum.  It's not like these people are going to kill or harm this family because of it.  If we gave asylum to people based on this, then we'd have to open out doors to more EXTREME cases of human rights violations.  It's not that I don't agree with this couple, I just don't think it's serious enough to warrant asylum. 

poietes
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM
You are correct, they were originally granted asylum and it got overturned.

Quoting billsfan1104: From what I remember, they were here legally, because they were granted aslyum, when they first got here.

Quoting mikiemom:

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM
23 moms liked this
Germany deciding homeschooling isn't a basic right isn't "persecution".
billsfan1104
by Jules on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this
It does harm the family, because their family(kids) would be taken away from them.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM
8 moms liked this

This is not a matter of the government fighting to deport this family....that decision was made in 2012. The HSLDA is fighting the decision to deport this family, which is what is keeping this in the news. The main reason for all of the media attention to this is the reason for the asylum and that the HSLDA is involved and is very vocal. From what I understand, it is a fairly regular policy to grant temporary asylum as a matter of policy and then allow immigration officials or the courts to figure it out from there. They were here in 2008" original case was not heard until 2010 and then reviewed In 2012. It simply took that long to wind it's way through the system. 

3JuJu3
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the situation is different.  You're talking about one individual family who are going through legal channels to get asylum vs. a whole mass of people living in our country illegally.  If this family snuck in and did menial jobs for cash the government probably wouldn't ever notice them.  As of 2010, half of asylum seekers get denied. 

Quoting poietes: Oh, I completely agree with you, the title was more to get attention. My real question is why are they fighting so hard to deport this family but fighting equally as hard to keep illegal immigrants?
Quoting 3JuJu3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN